Clare Balding to join Channel 4

Glad on the 2 commentators they've picked.

Not got Sky, so not sure on Cunningham - will reserve judgement.

Alistair Down was good, but can't stand Persads style. Nothing against the man himself, just his way of presenting.

Stuff all this

The BBC (london)getting rid of Danny Baker, by some distance the best broadcaster of them all, is beyond stupid.

Instead we get wall to wall Colin Murray (well i dont because radio goes straight off or is thrown against the wall if he crops up) instead.

Danny Baker should be given free reign to broadcast when he likes and for whatever fee he wants. Murray should have his head sawn off

Last edited:
Hes by some distance the sharpest and quickest broadcaster around. Cant miss a word when hes on.

Class above anyone else you can mention..and try me?

What you going to give me? Vic Reeves? Sue Barker? Alan Shearer?

Last edited:
From SL

Channel 4's racing output will feature an increased concentration on high-quality racing, its Head of Sport Jamie Aitchison has said.

Speaking ahead of the Racecourse Association's Showcase Awards, Aitchison admitted to racecourse managers that some tracks would lose coverage as no programme would show racing at more than two courses.

But with 88 days of racing set to be covered and a further 62 editions of the Morning Line to be screened in 2013, Aitchison was understandably keen to emphasise the overall expansion of Channel 4's coverage of the sport.

"To some sports fans racing can look tatty and rough around the edges, where they expect really high-quality coverage," he said. "We are here to show the best racing and not pack our programmes with wall-to-wall coverage. Yes, we've lost a few fixtures, but our policy is that we don't want to dilute our best racing.

"What we will also be doing is broadcasting from wherever the biggest race of the day is. If it's Scottish National day, we'll be at Ayr. If it's Northumberland Plate day, we'll be at Newcastle."

Interestingly, Aitchison revealed that agreement had been sought with the British Horseracing Authority for the races screened on the Channel 4 Racing programme to go off at the same times each week.

"That might mean, for example, if we show four races and we are off the air at 4.15pm, the time of the fourth race will always be 3.50pm," he said. "We'll also be asking all racecourses to have your best race as the last one we show, which will enable us to build up to it."

Other initiatives to be introduced when the broadcaster's coverage of the sport moves under the care of production company IMG from the start of the New Year inclused a touch-screen table for analysis of form and incidents and the introduction of a new portable 12-metre studio, the focus for analysis during the programme and a new home for the Morning Line.

Plans are also under way to improve winning-line camera angles and to allow the judge to announce photo finish results simultaneously on television and at the racecourse. "I could hardly believe it when I was watching the Grand National last year and Clare Balding was having to strain to hear the result over the public address system," said Aitchison.

We are told 88 days - what are they going to be ? What about the return of the Craven meeting and the first day of the Legern meeting to C4 for a start ?

The Craven meeting prize money and sponsorship has been badly affected by its removal and the whole Leger meeting spoiled by the decision originally to only show 2 and now 3 days of that meeting

Back