Commentator here...just wanting to introduce myself!

Craig Braddick

At the Start
Hi There!

My name is Craig Braddick, I am a British racecaller now based in the USA and am the track announcer at Running Aces in MN and the deputy announcer at Mountaineer Park in WV and Presque Isle Downs in PA.

15-20 years ago (when I was a teen) I used to sneak into spare commentary boxes at weekends and practice my commentating. I got to know many commentators. Those who were very nice and helpful to me included J A McGrath, Robin Gray, Graham Goode, Raleigh Gilbert, Darren Owen, Mark Slater, Dave Smith, Mark Johnson, Peter Bromley, Derek Thompson, Lee Mackenzie, Simon Holt, Peter O'Sullevan and Julian Wilson. I got to know many of them (as well as an awkward teenager can - though I am sure I probably annoyed the hell out of them at times!) Of course, being so young, some I were in awe of, some frightened me, some were wonderful. I wonder how I would get along with them now, if I were to meet them?

I deputized a few times as a teenager at short notice but when the PA, RTS and SIS started to merge, it was clear I was not going to break into the field anytime soon (I was still 16-18) and after a very bad experience with a man called Clive Reams, I grew very unhappy.

I would be happy to discuss any of my experiences if anyone is interested, my thoughts on commentating and so on.

FWIW, I use a pair of Swift 8.5x44 Audubon Binoculars, which I probably use 95% of the time when calling a race, only occasionally looking at a monitor. I sketch out the horses in draw order (something I learned from Graham Goode) and have that stuck to the monitor and in my hand I have photocopied sheets of jockeys outlines (the outline was given to me by Raleigh Gilbert) and I color those in and memorize them between races.

Cheers,

Craig

I'm sure you'd get on just fine with most of the named commentators there - I know at least six/seven of them and they're very friendly and accomodating. Some more than others I know - but mostly they're grand.

Oh, and hello!

I would be a fairly regular punter at Mountaineer and Presque.Volatile betting markets to say the least.

I get on best with Peter Bromley

Peter was always very kind to me. Sometimes, he would let me go to his commentary box after he had finished and let me call a race using those big binoculars he had. He always had the sound guys make a copy of it for me.

I can't remember when (maybe 1993) but his producer (Rob Nothman?) called me (I was seventeen, I think) and one day the first race at Sandown had a horse that was entered for the Gold Cup (Cannot recall the name but the silks were orange, it was not Garrison Savannah, though) and asked if I wanted to call the race for practice. I said "yes" and he asked me to call it as if I were on radio. later in the day, when listening to Sport on Five, I heard the last fence of that race and my call of it! I think they just wanted a soundbite in case the horse won, but I was delighted.

Uncle Goober, did I know you or did you know me? You can PM me if you like.

Craig

Those who were very nice and helpful to me included J A McGrath, Robin Gray, Graham Goode, Raleigh Gilbert, Darren Owen, Mark Slater, Dave Smith, Mark Johnson, Peter Bromley, Derek Thompson, Lee Mackenzie, Simon Holt, Peter O'Sullevan and Julian Wilson.

With that name-dropping per sentence frequency you should fit in just fine on here Craig!

:D Only kidding. Welcome to the forum.

From what I've heard, I'm sure that you won't be the only one who has had a bad experience with Clive Reams.

I don't mind saying it. He offered me a job reporting SP's. I did a trial day for him at Southwell, all was well, we agreed a fee and he gave me a list of fixtures he wanted me to cover. I was 16 and as happy as could be.

Three days later, he called me and was very insulting, told me I was completely untrustworthy and told me it would be in my best interest never to set foot on a racecourse again and that I would never amount to anything in the business as long as he had something to do with it. Let's remember, I was sixteen.

Thankfully, some other commentators, Graham Goode, J A McGrath and Robin Gray were very supportive over this issue, but there is no denying it hit me very hard. I was at a very fragile stage of my life (my parents had just lost everything - I was virtually homeless) and it was a hard kick in the teeth for someone my age them to deal with.

I occasinlally saw him again on the streets in Peterborough and he could never make eye contact with me.

If you are reading this, Clive and disagree, feel free to take it up with me.

Craig

With that name-dropping per sentence frequency you should fit in just fine on here Craig!

:D Only kidding. Welcome to the forum.

Betsmate:

The thing is I havent talked to any of them in 14 or so years and they probably remember me as a spotty pimply faced teen who is was most likely an unwanted irritation! So many of them, may not have fond memories of me, if indeed they have any!

Craig

What's expected of you as a commentator in the US? Are you supposed to read the race (Simon Holt, Richard Hoiles), recite the running order (Des Scahill) or interpret it as an event of great excitement no matter what (Justin Hannon, Ian Bartlett).

What's expected of you as a commentator in the US? Are you supposed to read the race (Simon Holt, Richard Hoiles), recite the running order (Des Scahill) or interpret it as an event of great excitement no matter what (Justin Hannon, Ian Bartlett).

Most commentators here interpret it as an event of great excitement even if it is: "The On The Way To The Glue Factory Claimer For Three Legged, One Eyed Geldings born on Tuesdays."

Personally, I like to get the order out and give everyone a mention in the first 2 furlongs, Then I read the race. I adopt a very conversational style which is pretty unique in the USA.

I think it is most important to try and interpret what is happening and describe the pace and rhythm of the race. One must try to put everything in the proper perspective and never forget I am there to serve the customers and the stars are the horses, not the commentator.

Having an accent here in the USA is an advantage in many ways as a commentator. It certainly would look fake if I tried to "Americanize" my calls. I always try to speak in non jargonized, coherent manner.

So people here either seem to love it or hate it. Certainly, many commentators here in the USA are inferior to those in the UK and Australia/NZ. Many commentators here go so far OTT they are on the other side and are their calls are little more than a list of used and tired cliches.

I have a mid baritone voice which lends itself to a conversational style. The late Raleigh Gilbert and J A McGrath were probably the biggest two single influences on my calling style.

Cheers,

Craig

Fascinating stuff Craig, and a warm welcome to the forum. You will no doubt supply a whole new perspective

What a delightful man Robin Gray is. He is the only commentator I know. One of the most helpful and genuinely nice people in racing - who regularly still rides out for Brendan Powell even though he is in his 70's now!

Welcome to the forum, Craig!

What a delightful man Robin Gray is. He is the only commentator I know. One of the most helpful and genuinely nice people in racing - who regularly still rides out for Brendan Powell even though he is in his 70's now!

Welcome to the forum, Craig!

Robin is indeed a fine gentleman. Very good to the young Craig he was. Spent many hours in his company, especially in the ditch commentary position at Newmarket. Top man also, for sneaking me into places I had no place being, weighing rooms, empty commentary boxes, etc.

Cheers,

Craig

He is the best, Craig. He has helped so many people and does it for absolutely no other reason than he likes to see people get on, especially youngsters. He took young Clare Wills (who works for Brendan Powell) under his wing and he is a real mentor for her. He has taught her so much about race riding and did a lot (I think) for her confidence. Whenever she has a ride he very often goes along to support her. He even exercises her horse for her if she can't do it. He is a one off. Definitely of the old school. A true gent in every sense of the word.

Last edited:
He is the best, Craig. He has helped so many people and does it for absolutely no other reason than he likes to see people get on, especially youngsters. He took young Clare Wills (who works for Brendan Powell) under his wing and he is a real mentor for her. He has taught her so much about race riding and done alot (I think) for her confidence. Whenever she has a ride he very often goes along to support her. He even exercises her horse for her if she can't do it. He is a one off. Definitely of the old school. A true gent in every sense of the word.

Kathy:

If you have anything to do with him - I am pretty sure he will remember me, would you be kind enough to pass my email address to him as I would love to get in touch with him. Email is craigbraddick@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Craig.

(PS, my Missus is called Kathy)

Craig, I would be delighted to pass on your e-mail address to Robin. I am actually going to Brendan's yard tomorrow so I will print out your details and leave them in the office if he is not there.

Back