Coral Eclipse Stakes

Bringing this back up for Desert Orchid to get some recognition. I'd say today's result backs up that he was fully justified in taking the position he did on the Eclipse.

So, DJ - do you think Paco Boy is a 130/near 130 horse?

I'm not sure - perhaps 131/132 for Rip today.

A 134 rating for RIP...what does that put Forgotten Voice on?

He was beaten 7¾ lengths, equating to 17½ pounds. He was on 116+p on my figures going into the race. Assuming he hasn't improved at all, it puts Rip on 133+. Does that kind of figure sound familiar?

A 134 rating for RIP...what does that put Forgotten Voice on?

118 or 119 I'd guess?

Timeform had Paco Boy on 129 and Ghanaati on 124 before the race today. On that scale, a mid-130s reading seems plausible. Would help to know what they had Forgotten Voice and Lord Shanakill on, though.

The official handicapper had a more conservative view of them before the race, but will struggle not to have Rip on at least 130 (up 2lbs from the Eclipse).

The Racing Post will probably somewhere between the two.

But will they feel it necessary to go back and re-rate the Eclipse?

Does anyone think RIP was a better horse today (does not mean he is a better horse than Sea The Stars I would add before people jump on me!) than he was at Sandown?

In hindsight, given the pace and class he showed today over an easy mile, then perhaps he ran around a bit and looked a bit ungenuine at Sandown simply because of a combination of a) he was pushed by a superstar and b) he did not truely see out the last half furlong of the 10 furlong trip.

129 is far too high for his Queen Anne success....far too high.

What rating Forgotten Voice for todays run if RIP is 134?

Why? Cesare was 124 going into the race and was given 125 for that run. Has an excellent record fresh and at Ascot so no huge shock he went backwards afterwards. Aqlaam was 124 for winning the Jersey and returned to that form. This is a bit of a side issue, as it's not the only run that you could rate Paco Boy 129 on. I've said for a while that direct comparisons between BHA/RPR and Timeform ratings are an inexact science.

Forgotten Voice would be 114 today, 4 lb below what he ran to when successful in the Hunt Cup.

Cesare is never for me anything close to a 124 horse.

Having Aqlaam at 124 for the Jersey puts Il Waard around 120, which is again much too high.

Does anyone think RIP was a better horse today (does not mean he is a better horse than Sea The Stars I would add before people jump on me!) than he was at Sandown?

In hindsight, given the pace and class he showed today over an easy mile, then perhaps he ran around a bit and looked a bit ungenuine at Sandown simply because of a combination of a) he was pushed by a superstar and b) he did not truely see out the last half furlong of the 10 furlong trip.

Probably, yes.

If you forget the slowly run Derby it would be easy to come to the conclusion that Rip Van Winkle's optimum trip is a mile.

But it could well be he ran to a higher figure in the Eclpse than he did here.

The waters are still a little muddy I feel.

Back