Coral Eclipse Stakes

They'd almost have to revise the Eclipse you would imagine, especially given the doubt at the time (at least on here!)

Main Aim has hardly franked the Queen Anne either.

To be fair he banged his head and never looked like he was going to do much throughout the race (I backed him the day before the race). He ran well in the July Cup i thought.

I have Cesare on 122 at his best. I had Paco Boy on 127+ but I was staying conservative with that one as I wasn't convinced. He's still not the most consistent. Either that or they run him half-baked now and again. Compared with his best form, that Lockinge run is very disappointing.

Isn't the Timeform scale relatively fluid, based on the time of the race; i.e. the faster its run, the higher the poundage (within limits) and vice versa?

No. As far as I'm aware the pound per length scale used isn't published. The weight for age scale is and can be found in the Racehorses annual.

To be fair he banged his head and never looked like he was going to do much throughout the race (I backed him the day before the race). He ran well in the July Cup i thought.

The two front runners weakened badly yesterday. They must have gone far too fast. Again, it illustrates how difficult even the best jockeys find it to judge pace.

They did weaken, and my initial thought was they went too quickly. I'd need to see it again, but a part of me thinks Main Aim wasn't right after banging his head and tracking across, and that JJ the Jet Plane simply doesn't stay 7 furlongs (I know he won at this distance in SA but yesterday's was a much tougher race). One to ponder!

On lines through Regal Parade and Balthazaar's Gift, Finjaan only had to hit 115 to win yesterday. I find it difficult to believe JJ couldn't run to that kind of figure over 7f.

May I ask why? I view him as an out and out sprinter, who doesn't stay. It's also true he underperformed to a degree.

The Racing Post's handicappers have raised the Eclipse ratings by 2lbs. Sea The Stars now on 133, Rip Van Winkle on 131 (same as his Sussex rating).

May I ask why? I view him as an out and out sprinter, who doesn't stay. It's also true he underperformed to a degree.

His race record suggests connections don't consider him an out-and-out sprinter as he'd been racing at 8f and 9f. The jockey also said the trainer was "very excited" about his prospects at 7f the other day before the race.

I don't discount the possibility that he is merely a sprinter but I'd want more evidence than this one run.

getting there DO :cool:

STS looks to be worth more when winning the Irish Champion would you say than he did when winning this?..purely on paper

if his win in Ireland is about a 136/138 lets say ..then would that not mark this down as between 130-135

No. Because RVW is probably better than both Fame and Glory and MCM.

Not according to the ratings.:) ...that I actually disagree with. Although I am sure that Fame will post a better rating in the Arc than RVW is capable of.

Last edited:
Back