Coral Eclipse

Hamm

At the Start
A race I always look forward to (especially with Sandown being in very close proximity), but this year's renewal seems very poor on paper.

Mount Nelson is currently favourite on a Betfair market which has yet to form properly. Whilst a little unlucky in a weak Queen Anne, this would be a remarkable achievement for AOB, as surely this horse isn't up to winnning a premier all aged Group 1 over 1m2.

Pressing may be interesting, especially at current odds, as is Phoenix Tower, both behind the due-to-be-absent Duke of Marmalade.

Red Rocks is also overpriced at 75.

Any thoughts?

It looks a disappointing renewal ~ as someone said elsewhere, the international opportunities in the pre and post domestic seasons are having an effect on the quality of the big midsummer championships; is it time for a radical overhaul of the pattern calendar?

Originally posted by simmo@Jun 25 2008, 11:40 AM
Any chance of Henrythenavigator turning up?
No, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was something else from Ballydoyle (rather than Mount Nelson) for this.

Looking at the list though and its hard to be sure about any of them. Rio De La Plata a possible?

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 25 2008, 10:39 AM
is it time for a radical overhaul of the pattern calendar?
Yes.

But in the interests of not hijacking this thread for these purposes, how do you fancy trying to reschedule them, and start a new thread? If i get round to it, I might have a stab it, although I suspect that with a few contributors and a bit of revision etc We could probably produce something.

Ask
Doctor Dino (FR)
Duke of Marmalade (IRE)
Happy Boy (BRZ)
Haradasun (AUS)
Hattan (IRE)
Linngari (IRE)
Literato (FR)
Maraahel (IRE)
Mount Nelson
Multidimensional (IRE)
Petara Bay (IRE)
Phoenix Tower (USA)
Pipedreamer
Pressing (IRE)
Red Rock Canyon (IRE)
Regime (IRE)
Rob Roy (USA)
Sixties Icon
Soldier of Fortune (IRE)
Song of Hiawatha
Stotsfold
Finsceal Beo (IRE)
Passage of Time
Peeping Fawn (USA)
Promising Lead
Campanologist (USA)
City Leader (IRE)
Hebridean (IRE)
Henrythenavigator (USA)
Kandahar Run
King of Rome (IRE)
Lucifer Sam (USA)
Minneapolis
New Approach (IRE)
One Great Cat (USA)
Plan (USA)
Rio de La Plata (USA)
The Bogberry (USA)
Twice Over
Kitty Matcham (IRE)
Psalm (IRE)
Sail (IRE)

It is a shame as the race had the potential to provide one of those mouthwatering clashes this year - perm any two of Henry, Duke and New Approach and we would have had something to savour. Sadly they apparently all have different targets...

Coral bet: 3-1 Mount Nelson, 7-2 Phoenix Tower, 9-2 Pipedreamer, 6-1 Pressing, 8-1 Literato, Maraahel, 12-1 Rob Roy, 16-1 Stotsfold, 33-1 Hattan, 40-1 Regime, 66-1 Red Rock Canyon, 100-1 Petara Bay

She is entered in the race, but if she was not ready to take on the fillys on Saturday, a debut against the colts on Saturday week is unlikely.

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jun 26 2008, 08:59 PM
Why isn`t Peeping Fawn in this? Ballydoyle are terrible with their programmes for fillies.
She hasn't come to herself Euro ~ that's the official word from Ballydoyle.

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jun 26 2008, 09:03 PM
Why is it that they turn into Godolphin when it comes to older fillies.
They have not had that many kept in training....but the reasoning for their campaign is obvious.

Older fillies are such a difficult business ~ easier to keep a G3 class filly in training at 4 to hope she wins a G2 or G1 than try to keep a top class filly sweet when all they want to do is make babies!

Lets not give up on Peeping Fawn just yet. If they had no intention of running her, or if they didnt think she wouldnt be the same horse, she would have been covered when the problems became clear.

but there's not necessarily a problem though Gal, is that correct ? she's just not coming to hand ? They might have made a call to give her time taking into account that an early first foal would be preferable and that would have entailed covering her earlier than it would have been possible to make a call on her.It is late in the year now for her not to have come to hand especially after the spell of fine weather.

From everything I have heard the Pretty Polly was always the first target, she was never going to run before then given campaign she had last season and the long break they gave her. So she has really just missed one engagement.

What they would have known would be her general demeanor and how she was around the yard. If they were not happy with her they wouldnt be continuing with her. I see she has been entered up in York etc the day it was announced she wouldnt be ready for the Pretty Polly.

ok so they're just taking it handy with her. Probably with one eye on her future career they don't want to get to the bottom of her.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 26 2008, 09:07 PM
Older fillies are such a difficult business ~ easier to keep a G3 class filly in training at 4 to hope she wins a G2 or G1 than try to keep a top class filly sweet when all they want to do is make babies!
I accept that, but we`ve had plenty of top class fillies kept in training over the last few years who have done the business so to speak, it`s just that for me Ballydoyle`s strike rate in that sphere is very poor in comparison to say Gosden or Stoute.

Back