Coral Eclipse

If Twice Over lets himself down again on this fast ground then I expect he will be tough enough to beat - now he is a confirmed runner I would fancy him over Dar Re Mi.

If he goes through with it as well. I thought he ran a blinder last time but it was a slow pace. If it's a real test, which with so many in you'd expect, I expect the mare will get the better of him. I think Mawatheeq has a Group 1 as well and he could improve again.

It was a 1m4f race that was mentioned for Fencing Master, so I assume it is the Grand Prix de Paris.

Given Mawatheeq's setback over the winter, I'd have liked to have seen much more from him at Royal Ascot to support at single figures. The front 2 in the betting set the form standard but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't show it, Twice Over because he's not the most reliable and the trip is short of Dar Re Mi's best. Can't make a form case for Sri Putra other than a hunch that we haven't seen the best of him and that 10f on fast ground are his conditions. If he doesn't sweat his race away like in the Brigadier, he might look big at 50's. Shame Stotsfold not here, would have had a good squeak for a place.

Be aiming Stotsfold at the Arlington Million again won't they? When they can run him when he's smacked off his tits on Lasix, he loved the stuff last year.

Given Mawatheeq's setback over the winter, I'd have liked to have seen much more from him at Royal Ascot to support at single figures.

That is one way of viewing it. If you go back and watch the race though he gets baulked early on and gets shuffled back through the field whilst pulling for his head for a few furlongs. He then gets stranded wide and has to come round runners. He makes up ground towards the end until Hills realises the race had gone. The pace shape didn't help him either (Tazeez looked like he was running on his own merits to me - Good ride on that one) so i'd be willing to forgive that run.

I think there's more to come from him although the bookies clearly aren't taking many chances with the price.

Possibly. Or Sri Putra might make it given he has one of the best front runners sitting on his back.

Last edited:
What was the reason given for Twice Over's poor run in this last year after running so well at Royal Ascot? He's trading at 3.15 on Betfair and that is just shit value. I want to back Mawatheeq but just know either the pace will be wrong or R Hills will feck it up - I also have it in my mind that the trainer likes to put a few runs into a horse that's been injured before said animal will be at his best.

All things point to a lay of Twice Over I think.

I can see Mawatheeq running a never-nearer second or third tomorrow. I'm amazed he is a general 33/1 shot for the King George ~ surely that is the next logical step after tomorrow and I think he will be better over 1m4f as well.

What was the reason given for Twice Over's poor run in this last year after running so well at Royal Ascot?

I don't think there was any specific reason given, but the way Cecil (masterfully) dropped him back in class and allowed him to regain his confidence suggests that it was as much a mental thing as anything.

Twice Over 123
Dar Re Mi 123t
Mawatheeq 122+
Zacinto 122o
Sri Putra115
Viscount Nelson114+

I’m struggling to think of a worse renewal of this race. I don’t consider a horse a true G1 horse until it has proved it can hit 126 so something will have to improve to make me change my mind about it. I can’t have Dar Re Mi because of the distance, because I don’t think horses that go to Dubai early in the year show their form for some time afterwards, and because I don’t like trusting fillies too much at any time of year. If forced to make a selection, I’d probably side with Mawatheeq in the belief he might have more scope for improvement than the others.

I laid Twice Over last night at 2/1 but it didn't really sit right with me. Mainly I think because I've very little confidence in Dar Rei Mi and Zacinto running well enough to win. So as i'm relying on Mawatheeq and Viscount Nelson to turn the fav over it makes more sense to just back those two.

Tried long and hard looking for an angle here and I can't find one so I'm just going to Sandown to enjoy the race and the sunshine. Plenty of other decent bets on the card.

The closest I got to playing was backing Viscount Nelson E/W 1/4 the odds at 4/1 in the without Twice Over market with Paddy Power.

I'd have it between Dar Re Mi and him if forced.

Tried long and hard looking for an angle here and I can't find one so I'm just going to Sandown to enjoy the race and the sunshine. Plenty of other decent bets on the card.

My angle:

Zacinto 6.2
Mawa....7.8
Vis Nelso 8.4

Zacinto should be 14s for this. Meaning the two I've backed would be shorter. It's another example of Stoute's animals being horrendous prices in the main.

Forget the Eclipse, this was the worst all-aged Group 1 since the International that One so Wonderful won.

And what makes it worse is that I'm pretty sure Mawatheeq would have hosed in if he had a competent trainer.

Back