Coral Eclipse

A couple of things - firstly it is amazing that Cecil has taken so long to win this race again, when you think of all the great horses he has had....first since 1978!! Secondly how on earth did Viscount Nelson go off at 4/1...he was 13/2 a few moments before they finished loading?

Well Bosra Sham was ridden by Kieren Fallon and Opening Verse set the race up for Nashwan and buggered up Indian Skimmer's chance and Reference Point ran into a quicker horse in Mtoto and Oh So Sharp did not run in the race as the owner had Pebbles.

Last edited:
A couple of things - firstly it is amazing that Cecil has taken so long to win this race again, when you think of all the great horses he has had....first since 1978!! Secondly how on earth did Viscount Nelson go off at 4/1...he was 13/2 a few moments before they finished loading?

Samuel Moorse went from a drifter to a steamer in the Railway stakes at the death. The Racing Post need to follow this up unless there was big bets struck on course.

op 13/2 touthched 7/1 SP 4/1 £2500-£500

Stranger again was Twice Over going back out to 13/8. Its just "the machine" controlling the market. Bookmaking is gone.

Ardross I dont think that Indian Skimmer "one of my all time favs" would have beaten Nashwan with an extra leg

I spent the whole summer hoping Nashwan would be beaten by the Skimmer, Old Vic and Cacoethes, but Nashwan "in hindsight" was IMO one of the best ever

Last edited:
I agree that Indian Skimmer would have been unlikely to have beaten him in any event but the pacemaker's antics turned it into a very stiff test that suited the Derby winner better than her - poor old Warning was exhausted behind.

Indian Skimmer didn't really recover her best Miesque thrashing type form till later in 1989 .

I tend to agree with John Gosden's analysis of the ride given to Twice Over - the guts of the horse meant Queally just got away with it . If Cauthen or Piggott to name two great HRAC jockeys had ridden it from the front like that they would surely have saved a bit .

The attempt to knock Queally at every opportunity is tiresome Ardross. No he is not a Cauthen or Piggott but he is riding for Cecil so get over it. Have a go at Cecil for selecting him if you must.

Whether you regard it as tiresome or not is irrelevant . In my opinion , Gosden was right about the ride .

If he rides a good race I will be the first to mention it - recently they have been the exception rather than the rule . Timepiece in the Sandringham for example was a good ride .

I do think HRAC is being held back by the jockeys he uses - Durcan was worse !

Last edited:
He didn't criticise the ride, he said it was a suicidal pace, suicidal for his filly to chase but not for the winner.

Queally saw there was no pace, he was on the classiest horse over the trip and duly decided to take the bull by the horns.

I thought that Queally did very well, he seized the initiative and it paid off for him.

Did we learn anything from Viscount Nelson's run regarding the merits of the 3yo crop.

If he had a better horse under him he'd have won more comfortably. The jockey did nowt wrong. Twice Over is just pretty average by Group 1 standards.

We learnt nothing about the merits of the 3yos. Viscount Nelson is the better part of a stone worse than Workforce and Canford Cliffs. Twice Over is the same behind a top form RVW or Goldikova.

Whether you regard it as tiresome or not is irrelevant . In my opinion , Gosden was right about the ride .

If he rides a good race I will be the first to mention it - recently they have been the exception rather than the rule . Timepiece in the Sandringham for example was a good ride .

I do think HRAC is being held back by the jockeys he uses - Durcan was worse !

The fact that Dar Re Mi was inconvenienced by the pace surely makes it a good ride.

Think Sri putra isnt as bad as many thinks he is. As a general rule, his trainer who I have a lot of time for never aim too high with his horses.

I'm not saying Sri Putra is bad. I'm saying if it can come within half a length of winning an Eclipse, it can't possibly have been a good renewal.

I would say that while it's a weak renewal, it isn't as bad as people are making out. Da Re Mi underperformed massively which ruined it really. Sri Putra was just hugely flattered due to the pace Queally went off at.

I'm not saying Sri Putra is bad. I'm saying if it can come within half a length of winning an Eclipse, it can't possibly have been a good renewal.

Agree with that. I think Twice Over has run more than half a stone below form. Either it's because he simply idled dramatically, or, it's because he went too fast and was good enough to (just) get away with it. Sri Putra's connections should be congratulated for having a go at it and getting a big reward.

Back