Coronation Cup Entries

Guest_

At the Start
Not always the strongest Group 1s but this year's renewal could be very interesting.

Al Shemali 4.c
Anna Pavlova 5.m
Big Robert 4.c
Galactic Star 5.h
Getaway (GER) 5.h
Literato (FR) 4.c
Macarthur 4.c
Multidimensional (IRE) 5.h
Papal Bull 5.h
Red Rocks (IRE) 5.h
Soldier of Fortune (IRE) 4.c
Song of Hiawatha 4.c
Turbo Linn 5.m
Youmzain (IRE) 5.h

Literato over 12f, hmm. I really liked this horse, but unfortunately he has only met my expectations since his transfer to the boys in blue.

It would be nice to see Soldier Of Fortune line up in this and you'd imagine he will. Any ease in the ground should suit, and hopefully O'Brien (at this stage of the season) will have him ready to do himself justice first time out.

Getaway sets a very high standard though.

I would have thought so.

Even if a star emerges from their 3 year old ranks, they will give SOF preference in the Arc as he is likely to retire to stud at the end of the year while the 3 year olds are generally kept on in training as 4 year olds. In saying that they did let SOF (the three year old) take on Dylan Thomas (the four year old) last season so who knows.

Thanks. I thought so as I'm not sure DOM will stretch out to 12f at the very top level.

To be honest I didn't even think of DOM when you asked that...I like him of all the older horses Ballydoyle have in training. I dont think he will win by very far but by the end of the season I think his CV will be immense in terms of races won. It will be interesting to see if he goes over 12 furlongs this year.

I don't think at this stage there'd be much to be gained by punting DoM over 12f assuming SoF has trained on. A program of the Prince Of Wales, Eclipse, Juddmonte, Irish Champion and BC Classic would be more than enough for him to go on with.

I'm a bit concerned that they have been so quiet about Soldier Of Fortune this term. The only plans that I've heard about for him were the Coronation Cup followed by either the King George or the Arc as his main target. The closer we get to the Coronation Cup the more I'm sensing he may not be there yet. Otherwise he would have been my clear pick. He represents a very high level of form in my opinion and I reckon we have yet to see the best of him. The Ormonde Stakes winner Macarthur is a very able understudy though.

Getaway is in good form already and Papal Bull has been groomed for this and will be campaigned aggressively to get a Group 1.

I expect Stoute's other one Galactic Star to run well in France today at a backable price.

Disappointed with Galactic Star, who was not helped by making the running and faded away tamely.

My other bet today Famous Name finished tremendously from a bad draw, just failing to get up. He would have been a good scorer in the TTF for me also had he prevailed.

Only a bit of place money to console myself with.

Originally posted by SteveM@Jun 1 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm a bit concerned that they have been so quiet about Soldier Of Fortune this term.
I don't recall seeing Soldier Of Fortune in the flesh before but my impression of him from the TV screen is that while he is a nice type of horse, he is not a particularly scopey individual? I could be wrong, but he certainly doesn't strike me as the type to really flourish as a 4 year old (physically) as say previous Ballydoyle greats Dylan Thomas and High Chaparral etc.

In saying all that O'Brien has derived surprising improvement from smallish colts (from 2-3) that would not necessarily have looked the typed to train on... Rock Of Gibraltar, Excellent Art to name but two. Whats more, I think the horse really had enough of racing by the Arc last season (I remember him looking awful in the parade ring and in a muck sweat down at the start) so maybe they are taking it very slowly with him.

Originally posted by Galileo+Jun 1 2008, 07:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ Jun 1 2008, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SteveM@Jun 1 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm a bit concerned that they have been so quiet about Soldier Of Fortune this term.
I don't recall seeing Soldier Of Fortune in the flesh before but my impression of him from the TV screen is that while he is a nice type of horse, he is not a particularly scopey individual? I could be wrong, but he certainly doesn't strike me as the type to really flourish as a 4 year old (physically) as say previous Ballydoyle greats Dylan Thomas and High Chaparral etc.

In saying all that O'Brien has derived surprising improvement from smallish colts (from 2-3) that would not necessarily have looked the typed to train on... Rock Of Gibraltar, Excellent Art to name but two. Whats more, I think the horse really had enough of racing by the Arc last season (I remember him looking awful in the parade ring and in a muck sweat down at the start) so maybe they are taking it very slowly with him. [/b][/quote]
It could well be the case that they are taking things slowly with him and waiting for him to come to himself... so perhaps we shouldn't expect to see him at Epsom?

Don't know about not having the scope to develop this season though. I do know great things were expected of him over the winter. I agree he was well below his best in the Arc, but if he can recapture his Irish Derby winning form he could be right back up there with the two you mention.

Big Robert
Getaway (GER)
Macarthur
Multidimensional (IRE)
Papal Bull
Red Rocks (IRE)
Soldier of Fortune (IRE)
Song of Hiawatha
Youmzain (IRE)
Anna Pavlova
Turbo Linn

Is Soldier of Fortune expected to be ready to win first time out? If so, he is one of the bets of the season at 3/1.

I'd have said yes, otherwise I can't think what Song of Hiawatha is doing in there as he won't be good enough to slow it up single handed, they'll just run round him. As a race for older horses, it seems to be the case that the winner already has a Gp1 to their name (7 of the last 10 did) and you might forgive Dalipour who had come second in both Derby's and had the misfortune to run into Montjeu in one of them. Yeats was having his first try at Group 1, and Warrsan was the only other one who hadn't got a win on the board. The old addage reads that Gp1 horses win Gp1 races

Going into this race, only Red Rocks, and Soldier of Fortune can join Youmzain in that claim. Now neither Red Rocks or Youmzains Gp1 win was spectacular and their S/R in the grade is low. It could be argued that their respective wins coming in the races they did are inferior, (I wouldn't really disagree) but of the two Youmzains form looks much the more superior to Red Rocks on just about every collateral line that ties them together. If you decide to start placing a secondary filter on meritous second places then his unlucky Arc and good King George would make him the obvious pick

What price would Dylan Thomas be if he were lining up?

Soldier of Fortune must be being focused at second half targets I'd thought? and I'd be surprised if he's been trained to the moment for this. In trying to win this off such a break he'll be attempting something that hasn't been achieved in recent times. Those horses which had a break of 75 odd days and went onto win, ran in the Sheema, no one's defied 243 day. Indeed, quite a few ran at Nad Al Sheeba

Warrsan - 5th - Sheema
Boreal - 3rd - Sheema
Mutafaweq - 8th - Dubai World Cup
Daylami - 5th - Sheema

Youmzains 5th in the Sheema isn't out of kilter with a prep for this target race. The only one you'd really be scarred of is Getaway, but Youmzains holds him on the Arc, and at the prices must rate a better bet. In any event, the Jockey Club is a bit contradictory. Sixties Icon was comfortably beaten (3.5L's) when likely to have been in need of the run. Fair enough, he goes and beats Sweet Lily NTO in a listed race at Goodwood. But listed doesn't equal Gp1. You could argue he was entitle to win this. The third horse home (4.5L's) was Galactic Star who was beaten at Chantilly over the weekend and finished last of 8 in a Gp2. Which of these races was likely to be the fairer reflection on the quality of those running behind Getaway at Newmarket? I'm more inclined to be worried about the third horse homes inability to lay a glove on his subsequent opponents in the higher grade, then Sixties Icon to win in a lower grade.

Initially I thought I'd recorded a Group 1 time in the Ormonde for MacArthur, but having seen both Supersonic Dave (2nd) and Red Gala (4th) go to York and finish a distant 8th (22L's) and 5th (5.75L's) I'm prepared to accept I've got this wrong. As the only two horses to have advertised the Ormonde it would take a blind leap of faith now.

Youmzains group 1 form is better than Red Rocks in terms of place finishes, quality of races contested, combined lengths beaten, average lengths beaten, proximity to other horses they've both raced, even if they both read 1 win from 8.

Youmzain and Getaway reversed

Soldier Of Fortune has been well backed today. Looks a really good renewal though.

Warbler, you asked what price Dylan Thomas would be in this...well with cut in the ground I doubt he would be favourite (ala his Arc run) while on fast ground he would be red hot (ala his run in the King George).

Just been doing a little research on O'Brien's record when putting an older horse into a Group 1 first time out.

He's done it 12 times in the last 5 years, and won 4 of them. Here's the list:

Winners:

Hawk Wing (Lockinge), Powerscourt (Tatts Gold Cup), Yeats (Gold Cup), Duke of Marmalade (Ganay)

Losers:

Yesterday (Matron - after a long time out due to injury and illness), Powerscourt (Sheema Classic), Antonius Pius (Lockinge), Ace (Ganay), George Washington (Queen Anne), Haradasun (Lockinge), Astronomer Royal (Lockinge), Red Rock Canyon (Tatts Gold Cup)

However, only 4 of them were in the first two in the betting as SoF is:

Hawk Wing when winning, Powerscourt when winning, Antonius Pius when losing and George Washington when losing.

Back