Coronation Cup Entries

I missed this race as the screens in the ward I was stuck on yesterday weren't working til 4pm :angy:
[tho luckily in time to watch the whole of the Oaks inc the parade]

Fascinating anyway guys, to read this run-down after the event. I wish I'd seen the race. I liked SoF more and more last year [backed him for the Arc too iirc] and I always thought he'd be the type to develop into a class act this year.

A couple of odd comments above, to which I'll contribute:

Youmzain is on the contrary very consistent - he runs well ONLY when he gets a strong pace, which he does in top races where he tends to meet the very best. To come 2nd so often in such races is tribute to his grittiness. He's an admirable horse imo, even if he looks like becoming the next Norse Dancer!

Manduro not as good a horse a Getaway?? Oh get away :laughing:

Tho in Getaway's defence, in terms of the race: firstly as others noted he'[s the wrong 'type' for Epsom; and secondly, he had Pasquier up, who doesn't ride as well in England as in France. And Epsom is a track which takes a bit of knowing - I look at jock bookings here closely. French jocks find it hard to judge pace here, viz Lemaire today on Cicerole, the best filly in the 2.40..

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jun 7 2008, 07:45 PM
I`d oppose SoF in the King George though. I don`t think he`ll like the short straight or the likely ground.
I would have agreed with that before yesterday, but I was very impressed by Soldier of Fortune yesterday. Quickened really nicely on genuine good ground off a fairly soft pace. Given a good pace and as long as the ground is not very fast, I find it hard to see him beaten over a mile and a half.

SOF ran as well as I hoped he would (and better than I feared)... as Magnier said you'd have to be happy with that performance.

Papal Bull is a tricky one, but also one to look out for this season I feel.

Papal Bull is a tricky one, but also one to look out for this season I feel.

I could see Stoute sending him to a race like the GP de Saint-Cloud; he's pretty good at winning that with marginal horses like Gamut and Mountain High.

Soldier Of Fortune didn't need to be at his best to take the Coronation Cup, and I've given him a rating of 124, 3lb below his best, achieved in last year'sIrish Derby.

Youmzain seemed to run close to his peak in finishing second, getting an RPR of 123 as opposed to the 126 for his Arc run, while I've given fifth-placed Getaway a provisional rating of 118, 9lb off the figure he got for winning the Jockey Club Stakes at Newmarket. I think the difference can be largely explained by the fact he didn't handle Epsom.

They keep underestimating Youmzain, which is good for Youmzain fans

And Mick Channon's handling of him too - that 'we all know can't handle older horses' bullsh*t
This is a good horse who has to come through the field AND off a strong pace, no easy way to win, so needs all the cards to fall just right - Channon's done really well with him. I hope he gets his big win with Youmzain this year

Back