Coronation Cup Entries

I rate SOF's Irish Derby very highly but he might need it very soft to show his best. I wonder if they mis-timed his prep for the Arc by going for the Niel as I don't believe he ran to form in the big one.

Getaway impressed a lot of observers last time but I'm not sure the form amounts to that much.

I'm still having difficulty accepting Youmzain is as good as his proximity to Dylan T in the Arc made him out.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 4 2008, 07:46 PM
I'm still having difficulty accepting Youmzain is as good as his proximity to Dylan T in the Arc made him out.
You don't need to.

Just accept it was better than Getaways? His King George run alone puts him the frame?

A screws fully tightened down Soldier of Fortune would win, question is, are they gonna be fully tightened down for this

Youmzain is a massive threat on Arc, KG form, but he can miss , Getaway looks very solid, but if other two fire he's going to be beaten

Rest don't look good enough

3 horse race, but traps a plenty

Good summary Charlie D, and good earlier post Warbler.

As I posted earlier, just how fit is SoF going to be? I think Getaway can definitely be taken on, and believe him to be a massively false price. He beat very little at Newmarket, and is still without a Group 1 win to his name.

I was on Youmzain for a reasonable amount (for me) at 95/1 for the Arc. I'll be backing him for a long time before I get close to winning that amount, but may try and start again tomorrow.

Where will the pace he needs come from though?

Song will probably tow em along Andrew, but at what fractions is anyone's guess

If he goes setting a decent gallop and none of others goes with him, he may as well not have bothered setting decent fractions as you'll have Song running in one race and rest running in another, similar to Tattersalls with Red Rock Canyon/ DoM

Yes, but wonder where the 'true' pace will come from? This may compromise Youmzain's chances, but am struggling to see why he is 14 and Getaway close to Evens. You'd want your head read backing Getaway based on those prices..

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jun 5 2008, 01:14 PM
but am struggling to see why he is 14 and Getaway close to Evens. You'd want your head read backing Getaway based on those prices..
Timeform Top Ten

131p GETAWAY
A Fabre, France

131 SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
A P O'Brien, Ireland

127 YOUMZAIN
M R Channon

They have a big influence on the market,

SoF is FTO, a lot of people don't believe Youmzain is a good horse, he is inconsistent

This why Getaway is price he is and why Youmzain is price he is

And Getaway is consistent?! He has acheived very little thus far. People I feel are automatically assuming he'll be like Shirocco/Manduro..

True Pace - if Song of Hiawatha tears off and is not followed, and the rest of the pack go at a relatively sedate pace, this is what i was referring to when I mentioned the possibility of a lack of a 'true pace'.

I think Getaway was a better 4yo than Manduro.

About the Coronation Cup, I see him as the clear pick, ideal preparation, fits the trends and the form is solid enough.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jun 5 2008, 03:02 PM
And Getaway is consistent?! He has acheived very little thus far. People I feel are automatically assuming he'll be like Shirocco/Manduro..

True Pace - if Song of Hiawatha tears off and is not followed, and the rest of the pack go at a relatively sedate pace, this is what i was referring to when I mentioned the possibility of a lack of a 'true pace'.
Andrew

If you think he acheived little, people are assuming he is like Shirocco/ Manduro and his price is wrong, lay bollox of him

fwiw

He is as good as Shirocco and he could be as good as Manduro, the Coronation Cup will tell us more

I'll be surprised to see Song tearing off, as doing that, it don't really help him or his stable mates

Originally posted by sunybay@Jun 5 2008, 03:17 PM

About the Coronation Cup, I see him as the clear pick, ideal preparation, fits the trends and the form is solid enough.
Market makers see what you see suny and that's why he is fav

Originally posted by Charlie D@Jun 5 2008, 04:26 PM

He is as good as Shirocco and he could be as good as Manduro, the Coronation Cup will tell us more

The minute he (hopefully) wins i`m gonna lay him for the Arc as he`ll be a very false price.

I'd expect Soldier of Fortune to prove to be the better horse than Getaway this season, but the French-trained horse might just have the edge in this down to race fitness. I couldn't bring myself to support it though.

And trying my best not to sound like John Francome... Anna Pavlova is no 40/1 shot.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 5 2008, 10:51 PM
Anyone worried about Getaway handling the track? He's a pretty big fella isn't he?
"Big, angular, heavy topped horse" according to Timeform, which is hardly a positive for Epsom especially as the sages of Halifax state that "cumbersome horses, long striding gallopers or those with pronounced knee action are often not suited by (the track) and are frequently quite unable to act upon it"

I rate Papal Bull fourth best in the race on his two Group 2 win at Newbury and Newmarket last term. He’s a late developer and it’s not impossible he could improve again. At around 20s he’s worth a small saver and I’ll probably be backing him to place.

I can see one of the big three running flat.

I don’t like the reticence about SOF. Youmzain has probably peaked but represents a solid standard of form. Getaway seems in good heart, but I’m not totally convinced about him.

If SOF isn’t going to win (and I like to think he will, or at least would if he ran to his best), perhaps Papal Bull will?

I'm still gonna back Turbo Linn - ok, she's a lot of improvement to make but she is still fairly unexposed and 50/1 looks wrong to me.

Backed Youmzain in the end. Considered him the second best horse in the race but didn't expect SoF to be up to winning first time out. Got exactly the run I hoped for from Youmzain but SoF was really impressive under the circumstances. Will only improve again next time.

Well done to Ryan Moore for getting something out of Papal Bull too - he was doing a Rakti in the parade ring!

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 7 2008, 08:21 PM
Got exactly the run I hoped for from Youmzain
The consensus is they went a fast gallop, but the main group pretty much ignored the front two and for me Youmzain put up an excellent performance. I know he has to be held up but Hughes could surely have had him closer. I`d certainly take a nice price if he runs in the Arc.

Sorry about that Gareth, as that was pretty much my take on the race. I think it's fair to say SoF is held the highest regard and he was my principal Arc bet last year, but I just couldn't think he'd been trained to the moment, which makes his performance all the more meritous

SOF was over the top in last years Arc Gareth. John Magnier's assertion that he had done well physically from 3 to 4 was hard to disagree with. He looks on very good terms with himself in the parade ring.

Back