Craven Meeting

Just as a sidenote, there is no way in hell that the ground at Newmarket is Good to Firm, it's riding on the slow side of Good at best looking at the times!

Newmarket's not normally considered to be one of the serial offenders in this regard, (in fact they're one of the best). The RP have been altering their standards of late, and in line with something we've noted before about the Rowley Mile being quite punitive. They've added a bit in here and there, but not enough to alter things that significantly (well nothing like the 7 secs they've added to the staying hurdles standard at Cheltenham anyway). 0.10 secs at 10F's and 0.20 secs at 7F's, 0.30 secs at 9F's isn't massive, and they've taken 0.20 secs off at 6F's.

At this stage I'd be inclined to wonder if they weren't running into something of a headwind? This would show up in the race times without altering what the clerk thinks he's got.

In 2008 they ran on what was declaerd as good ground, and most the corresponding races from yesterday appear slightly faster but not a full going descriptions worth.

The opening 10F maiden was 1.85 secs slower (probably due to a slow early pace which Native Ruler backers could draw comfort from)

The 2yo race was +0.89 secs faster
The free handicap -0.05 secs slower
Nell Gwyn +0.22 secs faster
The Fielden +1.42 secs faster
7F 3yo Mdn +0.40 secs faster
6F 0-100 3yo H'cap +0.48 secs faster

If you take out your two extreme values then yesterday's ground was on average just 0.38 secs faster than last years, which isn't the difference between Good and Good to Firm.

It only really leaves two possibilities. The ground was Good to Firm, but a headwind was affecting the times. That either one of 2009 or 2008 was declared inaccurately. Can anyone shed any light on this who was there yesterday?

As mentioned the Redwoods win in the Fielden looks like being the stand out performance, and where as the respective winners of the Nell Gwyn and Free handicap and other races tended to run a bit quicker than last years winners, he's pretty well put double the same distance again between himself and his respective winner

Fantasia's Nell Gwyn is interesting. The overall rating isn't that brilliant and yet she's won decisively. Last year Infallible earned plaudits in many quarters for her decisive victory of 3.5L's over a 66/1 shot. To double this distance off what can't have been a particularly punishing pace is impressive.

It suggests that she's either done a couple of things;

a) beaten trees
b) settled it with a devastating turn of foot

She was certainly far enough ahead of the others on ratings and form to make a) a possibility, but even then, you'd still expect something to have got nearer than 7L's in Gp3 from a moderate pace. Without seeing the sections you couldn't be 100% certain, but it hints at b). That being so, if she possesses that kind of acceleration then she looks ideally suited for the Pouliches.

The other noteworthy performer is Monsieur Chevallier whose runa figure that would be consistant with a Royal Ascot 2yo winner, but then there's likely to be a few others in the next month or so that do the same

Last edited:
Cheers UG, that would make sense, the race times seemed to suggest so against the going description, and as i said Newmarket would normally be in my top 3 courses for getting their going descriptions right

Cheers UG, that would make sense, the race times seemed to suggest so against the going description, and as i said Newmarket would normally be in my top 3 courses for getting their going descriptions right

True but I seem to recall they got it wrong a few times early season last year before sorting themselves out? Not sure if you can pull the history through from last year, I might be going mad though...

One's romped in a Group 1 and has rock solid form the other beaten in a maiden. The winner was at as much of a disadvantage experience wise as Native Ruler and that's speaking as someone who's backed NR at 50's for the Derby at the start of last month.

Also Crowded House was well beat on his debut and romped home 2nd time out. Also Crowded House was stuffed out of sight in a gallop 2 weeks ago.

Just as a sidenote, there is no way in hell that the ground at Newmarket is Good to Firm, it's riding on the slow side of Good at best looking at the times!

Fairly strong headwind was mentioned on Racing UK yesterday (as Uncle Goober has already stated) but, in addition to that, virtually all of the races I saw yesterday (most of the card, including the Free Handicap and Nell Gwynn) looked to be run at no more than a steady gallop, which would perhaps distort things I'd imagine?

Fairly strong headwind was mentioned on Racing UK yesterday (as Uncle Goober has already stated) but, in addition to that, virtually all of the races I saw yesterday (most of the card, including the Free Handicap and Nell Gwynn) looked to be run at no more than a steady gallop, which would perhaps distort things I'd imagine?

Yeah, Warbs has picked that up above.

Also Crowded House was well beat on his debut and romped home 2nd time out. Also Crowded House was stuffed out of sight in a gallop 2 weeks ago.

Crowded House was well beat on his debut over 9 months before the Derby, not just over 7 weeks till the Derby.

When was the last horse to win the Derby which didn't run as a two year old?

Gallop reports are hopeless for classic clues, Roman Republic was being talked up as being the next big Guineas/Derby horse, he's now 11/2 in a Class 3 handicap at Ripon this afternoon with a 7lb claimer on. Nothing substitutes top class form for the Classics.

Probably deserves a thread of it's own but the real trial for the Guineas looks like being on Saturday. Great line up at present:

1 (8) Cityscape 203
2 (3) Elnawin 28
3 (9) Finjaan 182
4 (4) Folsomprisonblues (IRE) 175
5 (7) Icesolator (IRE) 14
6 (5) Jobe (USA) 14
7 (1) Lord Shanakill (USA) 182
8 (2) Nasri 175
9 (6) Shaweel 182
10 (10) Sri Putra 175
11 (12) Vocalised (USA) 13
12 (11) War Native (IRE) 217

Sporting Life have Vocalised in at 12/1. That seems too much like xmas to me.

Tax Free beat standard in the Abernant, and if a 2yo Filly running in a maiden can get within 1.72 secs of standard, I think its probably save to assume that Good to Firm isn't to far away

the times today were about 21 lbs per mile fast, just inside G/F... imo

i got yesterdays times 12 lb slow..headwind affected

It says in the RP that today there was a slight tailwind and yesterday was a head wind...with that knowledge its fair to say the ground is GOOD

Probably deserves a thread of it's own but the real trial for the Guineas looks like being on Saturday. Great line up at present:

1 (8) Cityscape 203
2 (3) Elnawin 28
3 (9) Finjaan 182
4 (4) Folsomprisonblues (IRE) 175
5 (7) Icesolator (IRE) 14
6 (5) Jobe (USA) 14
7 (1) Lord Shanakill (USA) 182
8 (2) Nasri 175
9 (6) Shaweel 182
10 (10) Sri Putra 175
11 (12) Vocalised (USA) 13
12 (11) War Native (IRE) 217

Sporting Life have Vocalised in at 12/1. That seems too much like xmas to me.

I thought he would go straight to Leopardstown for the Derrinstown myself.

Bolger aside, It would be a strange route to go. You're not going to find out much at Newbury that you won't find out at Leopardstown.

Back from Newmarket today.
Really good to see some horses schooling in the paddock, like Devotee and the most recognazible horse in training in Newmarket nowadays.

I imagine if he runs in the Greenham, it will be the Derrinstown next which wouldn't be such a bad route for the Derby.

It was a cracking two days racing . I particularly liked the way Monsieur Chevalier picked up in the 2 year old race , Infiraad in the 7f maiden, Resort yesterday - she was dossing and picked up to see off Balaagha in a couple of strides and the 10f handicap at the end of the day - the first four look very useful indeed .

Delegator was impressive but I doubt he beat much and the same could be said for the otherwise stunning effort of Fantasia and I wasn't quite clear why Frankie felt the need to ride her right out to the line.

Downpoints - Dettori riding the pants off Queally et al in the 10f maiden , The slow pace in too many of Wednesday's races - perhaps an overreaction to the headwind.

Back