Creating Websites - help needed

suerunner

At the Start
Morning all.
My dad has asked me to create a website for his business, but it needs to be one with it's own domain:
www.mybusiness.co.uk rather than linked via another company eg www.yahoo.co.uk/mybusiness.co.uk
Can anyone recommend any good sites for this?? I know he will have to pay a bit for the reg fee. I am no good with Microsoft Front Page, so it would have to be a site that allows me to access and update via a webshell.
For info, the site would not be too complicated, probably about 6 pages in total, with contact details, references, photos of previous work undertaken etc.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks a lot.
Sue

I know of a few people on another forum who may be able to help if nothing crops up in the meantime. I'll tell them what you are requiring and hopefully they should be able to assist.

Sue, I’ve been recommended: http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/

Information given is this costs about £6 per month. Registering a domain name only costs a few pounds (and may be renewed yearly). If you need help from a website designer I can send you on details.

Last edited:
You'll need a host to upload files onto, have you signed up for hosting?

Also, try Joomla for a website its what I use.

Fasthosts are cheap as are Namesco for hosting.

You need a CMS to make updates via a control panel online, Joomla or Word Press are easy to use once set up, whilst some web designers can arrange CMS templates, however they are not cheap.

Frontpage or Expression Web as it is now known is the best method for a simple website, very easy to use and update with.

Tos Domains, are the cheapest company to purchase a domain name from, as you are buying from America and it works out 65% cheaper than if you purchase from your hoster.

Good post flame pretty much everything Sue should be looking for.

I use www.byethost.com, check out some of their packages which are very reasonable and I would recommend them, also you get a free domain name on purchase.

The company I work with use Kentico CMS, there is a free edition which you can use as well:

http://www.kentico.com

I use the free edition to create websites for freelance work, it does have a few restrictions, but is very powerful and should more than meet your needs. I can offer you hosting for this if you like - I have my own web server in a datacentre in Dublin.

There are hundreds of different options for acquiring a domain name.

As for VPS packages, those listed on byethehost seem very expensive to me - check out Tagadab.com, I'm not currently using this provider but am planning to switch over to a dedicated server once my current contract ends.

I use http://www.hostpapa.com/index.shtml. You can register your domain name with them and get the full hosting package all in one. The main reason I used them after bad previous experience with another, now defunct, outfit, is the support. You can actually speak to someone on the end of a telephone. $4.95 per month.

Thanks for the info guys and sorry for the late reply, been away. I shall look into it and hopefully have a website created soon.

Sue

Back