Curragh On Sunday

Guest_

At the Start
Curragh starts back on Sunday and the initial entries are through. A good card with some decent handicaps and interesting maidens as well as the Group race. In that Group 3 there are the likes of:

Deauville Vision
Danehill Music
Jalmira
Lush Lashes
Savethisdanceforme
Truly Mine
Marjalina
Halfway To Heaven

In the Lincoln..

John Oxx has Alazari entered up, Ballydoyle have Port In Spain, British trainers have the likes of Electric Warrior, Fremen, Heywood,Minority Report,Moody Tunes,White Deer. Other Irish entries include Victram, Siege Of Ennis, Hard Rock City.

In the mile maiden…

Zulu Chief (half brother to Hawk Wing)
Decree (half brother to Catcher In The Rye..beautifully bred)
Angels Story (another Galileo colt)
Spanish Cross (by Cape Cross)
Street Style (half brother to Luas Line)

Some good stuff to look forward to.

What's the ground looking like? Deauville Vision loved it bottomless on opening day last year.

it doesn't look like she'll get her ground. She was well in at the weights last year too. The two year old race will be interesting.

Are you on the Curragh Galileo ? If not I'll be there Friday and I'll check it out. if the rain materialises than it will be heavy.

Yep, rain last night but a nice and sunny morning so far. More rain forecast though.

Speaking of the Curragh below are the entries for the first Group 1 for older horses in Ireland of the season. The Tattersalls Gold Cup:

Arch Rebel (USA)(113) (NMeade
Ask (GB) (SirMStoute (in GB))
Astronomer Royal (USA)(118)(APO'Brien)
Duke Of Marmalade(120)(APO'Brien)
Halicarnassus (MRChannon (inGB))
Harrington(84) (NFurlong)
Hattan (CEBrittain (in GB))
Honolulu(115) (APO'Brien)
Honoured Guest(114) (APO'Brien)
Kandidate (GB) (CEBrittain (in GB))
Literato (FR) (SBSuroor (in GB))
Lord Admiral (USA) (CO'Brien)
Lucarno (USA) (JHMGosden (inGB))
Macarthur (GB)(112) (APO'Brien)
Mores Wells (GB)(113)(KPrendergast)
Mount Nelson (GB) (APO'Brien
Mourilyan (JMOxx)
Multidimensional (HRACecil (inGB))
Mustameet (USA)(111(KPrendergast)
Persian Storm (GER) (AFabre (inFR))
Pressing (MAJarvis (in GB))
Ramonti (FR) (SBSuroor (in GB))
Red Moloney (USA)(110)(KPrendergast)
Red Rock Canyon(115) (APO'Brien)
Red Rocks (BJMeehan (in GB))
Rob Roy (USA) (SirMStoute (in GB))
Soldier Of Fortune(125) (APO'Brien)
Song Of Hiawatha (GB)(106)(APO'Brien)
Zambezi Sun (GB) (PBary (in FR)
Arch Swing (USA)(113) (JMOxx)
Dimenticata(105) (KPrendergast)
Ezima(112) (JSBolger)
Finsceal Beo(119) (JSBolger)
Mooretown Lady(99) (HRogers)
Nick's Nikita(103) (MHalford)
Passage Of Time (GB) (HRACecil(in GB))
Profound Beauty(106) (DKWeld)
West Wind (GB) (SBSuroor (in GB))

yes, due to run. Really decent but this is obviously toughest he has ever run in. Hard to say if he is that good already.

Not Curragh, but Cork: did anybody notice that Pipalongs daughter Alliance ran at weekend?? pretty crap though.

I believe he's a likely runner in the Sheema Classic, Bar.

No Peeping Fawn entry in the Tattersalls?

The Pretty Polly on Irish Derby weekend looks like a good place to start for Peeping Fawn.

She will probably be lightly campaigned this year with the Breeders Cup Mares race a likely target.

She was busy last year running 10 times including 6 Group Ones.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 26 2008, 11:05 AM
That's what they said about Alexandrova :(
Alexandrova had set backs and it was the intention to have her out earlier. But as Powerscourt said, she had a tough campaign last year and its no surprise to see them bring her back slowly.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 28 2008, 08:17 AM
I would doubt that.
Why is that? Surely that is as prestigous a prize a filly could hope to win? And hasn't it received a prize money injection this year from Qatar airways?

Peeping Fawn would only run in the Arc if connections did not have a colt, they felt, was good enough to win it.

There was no way they would run her against Dylan Thomas last year.

Can't wait for tommorrow.

Looks a tricky card (always is) at first glance. Really looking forward to seeing the state of the Curragh as well.

Looks a very tough card, the British challengers usually do really well in the handicaps though.

Lush Lashes might not like the going tomorrow where as Savethedanceforme and Deauville Vision should relish it. As always it is a card for watching brief only.

Quite like the look of Tis Mighty in the Lincoln. Form of Gowran win and Curragh third absolutely rock solid and she handle the heavy ground alright. An extreme draw (either side) seems to usually be an advantage in this race so the draw (26) shouldn't be an issue either.

Elsewhere, Danehill Music rates a solid EW bet in the Park Express. Doesn't have the potential of the O'Brien filly obviously, but suited down to the ground by conditions and should run her race again.

Mile maiden should be informative as always.

Tis Mighty has a good look, I agree,
but surprised me to see it running after reading in the timeform annual that it has been retired after a knee injury.

Tut tut Mr O'Gorman...

by Tony O'Hehir

JOHN HAMMOND on Saturday reacted with surprise but not anger after his runner in this afternoon's Irish Lincolnshire had its handicap mark raised by 9lb on the eve of the race due to a major error by handicapper Garry O'Gorman.

After O'Gorman realised on Friday evening that he should have set theHammond-trained Estrela Brage to run off a mark of 97, he sought permission from the Irish Turf Club to have the horse's rating upped from 88.

Reacting on Saturday, Hammond said: "They just rung up and said there had been a mistake and the stewards had allowed them to reset the weights.

"I was a bit surprised that they were able to do that so close to the race but these things happen.

"I think we're going to run and we'll see how we get on."

Turf Club chief executive Denis Egansaid: "Our senior handicapper, Garry O'Gorman, realised on Friday night that he had made an error and given the wrong rating to Estrela Brage. He immediately brought the matter to the attention of the Turf Club stewards and, as permitted under Rule 33, they gave permission for the horse's rating to be adjusted for the race.

"To the best of my knowledge, the horse is at the Curragh and is going to run. Had the connections decided against running then we would have reimbursed them their expenses."

Estrela Brage, who will be partnered by Declan McDonogh, will now carry 9st4lb but will still carry the number ten saddlecloth.

Back