Curragh On Sunday

If both Kinane and Murtagh were riding yesterday afternoon in Dubai, it's expecting a lot of the body at their ages to fly over and be on top form today :what: 30 and 40 year old bodies just don't recover that fast, esp with a total change of climate - and no doubt starving as well. Having said which, I'm not a fan of Murtagh in lesser races - tho admittedly he's top class in Grade races as a rule

Not to mention a Derby win yesterday in Dubai.

I think Murtagh can do no wrong at the moment ..he would appear to be at the top of his game..

He just may need to keep up the road running to keep off the weight ..

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 31 2008, 12:04 AM
5 rides, 3 wins, 1 second. Can't wait to see him on top form.
I agree Murtagh is at the top of his game at the moment, and he's no doubt aware that he needs to be so 7 days a week for the forseeable. People can and do raise their game when given a chance in a million, and when circumstances demand it.

I personally wouldn't blame them if he and Kinane had the odd groggy moment today, given what they've had to put their bodies through this w/e

Alazari looked very much like a horse getting a gentle re-introduction to the game…..market also suggested that. Looks capable of better.

Originally posted by Sheikh+Mar 31 2008, 06:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sheikh @ Mar 31 2008, 06:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gareth Flynn@Mar 31 2008, 12:04 AM
5 rides, 3 wins, 1 second. Can't wait to see him on top form.

Either can I can, top form would have been 5 and 4 and being able to do the weight [/b][/quote]
I guess the latter would have ensured the former, in theory at least.

Quite posibly but I felt at the time that he had allowed her to idle. As she had made what looked like such a decisive move I think horse and jockey where thinking about a cup of tea. As i said before though, the winner must be a bit tastey

Report from the after-racing gallops:

Jupiter Pluvius could go straight for 2,000 after Curragh gallop

by Brian Fleming

JUPITER PLUVIUS could head straight to Newmarket for the Stan James 2,000 Guineas next month according to trainer Aidan O'Brien after he pleased the trainer in a piece of work after racing at the Curragh on Sunday.

The son of Johannesburg, unbeaten in two starts last season including the Group 3 Killavullan Stakes at Leopardstown last October on good to firm ground, was ridden by stable jockey Johnny Murtagh over seven furlongs.

The Ballydoyle trainer worked 45 horses in torrential rain and extremely testing conditions, including nine unnamed juveniles and two groups of 18 comprising three-year-olds and older horses.

Afterwards, O'Brien, who has sent King Of Kings (1998), Rock Of Gibraltar, (2002), Footstepsinthesand (2005) and George Washington (2006) to win the Guineas withouta prep run, said: “It's possible Jupiter Pluvius could go straight to Newmarket, but at this stage I haven't got a clue about the Guineas, as it's a long way away.”

Seamie Heffernan teamed up with Soldier Of Fortune in the second group. The colt “could start off in the Tattersalls Gold Cup”, according to O'Brien, while Yeats, who was ridden by Colm O'Donoghue, may begin his campaign at Navan next month.

“He ran first time out at Navan last year and we'll probably look at that race again to start him back,” said O'Brien, who also supervised Henrythenavigator (David McCabe) and the filly Kitty Matcham, ridden by Johnny Murtagh, in a busy hour for the Ballydoyle team after racing.

Other 1,000 Guineas entrants to work included Psalm andHalfway To Heaven, “who might run next weekend in the 1,000 Guineas Trial”, but You'resothrilling was not there.

“She had a bit of a setback and won't be back until the middle of the summer,” said O'Brien.

All told, 54 horses worked, including sixtrained by Kevin Prendergast and three from Frances Crowley's yard. Manager Paul Hensey said: “It was unfortunate the rain bucketed down during the session, but the ground they raced over today won't be used again until the end of May so it has plenty oftime to recover.”

Back