Curragh On Sunday

Any word on why the Aga Khan sold Alazari? He too is a horse I like Sheikh but it's a little worrying seeing he is sold off already.

I don't know but I would hazard a guess that he reckons he's not a stallion prospect, he didn't race at two and broke a bone in his foot in his next run at three after winning that curragh maiden last year impressively.Another small horse like alamshar (same family) who hasn't had much luck at stud to date.He does campaign his ordinary fillys for longer but I don't think he bothers keeping the colts but I'm open to correction on this. Anyway I'm getting in the car now to make my way down, Good Luck, Talk later.

Hard to know what to make of him selling the horse unless you know the price he got. The Aga is very pragmatic. I'd never have thought in a million years that he'd sell Shawanda, for example, but as I understand it he runs a tight ship. Every horse has a price.

I'm presuming Georgebernardshaw was injured last year when he didn't run between opening day and November?

I don't think that will be the last time this season that we see that jockey in those colours doing that.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 30 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm presuming Georgebernardshaw was injured last year when he didn't run between opening day and November?
First run might have bottomed him on the heavy ground last year. Could be the reason O'Brien will have no two year olds out for weeks as reported this year .

It will be interesting to see how these early three year old forays go for Ballydoyle. Early last year all the talk was of what a great bunch of 2 year olds they had but the results suggested it was one of their weakest. Either they were a bad bunch or he was training them even easier than recent seasons with a 3/4/5 year old career in mind.

Anyone care to guess how many lengths Savethisdanceforme put on Lush Lashes there? More or less than 12?

Liked how Marjalina responded to pressure there. Went from running all over the shop to getting her head down and switching her legs to take down Savethisdance. Not sure what happened the second. Murtagh went too early? Blew up? Dossed?

Quickened up impressively but just looked to get tired. The winner stayed on steadily the whole way.

I would say that Savethisdance has shown improved form since getting very testing conditions. Remains to be seen if she can reproduce the turn of foot on a better surface. She should be aimed at the French Guineas.

Just mentioned on ATR that Murtagh put up 2lbs overweight on the second. Doesn't seem like it was announced beforehand shrug::

Fair enough I suppose. Encouraging to see the first two (both three year olds) pull so far clear of a reliable bunch of older mares.

Flat season is working out nicely this year in Ireland in that after this weekend we are straight into the very informative Guineas Trial weekend at Leopardstown next Sunday.

Murtagh bossed the last nicely from the front. The Ballydoyle 3yos seem to pretty fit and forward on today's evidence anyway.

I had not realised they were "working" their horses after racing today...I would have went over. Lets hope Sheikh stayed behind and can give up an update on what he saw.

Had hoped to make it down myself, but didn't get the chance.

Liked the look of the first two in the fillies race as well. Jury still out as to the Ballydoyle filly's effectiveness on good ground IMO, as she was fairly backward her first few runs last year.

The Oxx horse Kargali ran a nice enough race I thought, considering he ran fairly green.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Mar 30 2008, 03:08 PM
Liked how Marjalina responded to pressure there. Went from running all over the shop to getting her head down and switching her legs to take down Savethisdance.
Cut into 16/20s from 40s for the Oaks. Bound to be a reaction at this stage of the season but nevertheless.

Funny how different people interpret a race, here's my view. To me it looked like Johnny Murtagh and Mick Kinane where hungover jet lagged or both. Interesting that someone has posted here that he was 2lb over weight.Murtagh let his mount go asleep and got mugged by marjalina. I would think that the winner could be a bit special and that she won despite the ground.

Mick Kinane chose to ride both Alarazi and Kargali from possibly last position to the front. Off top weight on heavy ground i can't understand why he chose to do this with Alarazi. If I was to be generous I'd say that he rode Kargali that way to educate him. For me Kargali was the horse of the day, he broke well and was halled back and than began to pass horses when asked about two furlongs out. I reckon he got past the winner but having made up so much ground on heavy ground in his first ever race he didn't quite have the strenght to repel the renewed challenge of the winner. I thought he was the business.

IMO Murtagh is a class act and did very well to win on snaefell but I thought he and Kinane both had shockers on the ones I have outlined above.

I thought the race Georgeb won was probably a bad race and I am impressed so far with Liam Roche he is doing well with inexpensive horses.

I did see horses ready to go out after racing and If I was on my own i would have stayed to investigate a lovely big grey but alas I had to run off.

Back