DBS sale,W Mullins

What surprises me is that very few of Kielys go on to do much so £300k looks steep.
Absolutely swizz 300k for that one - surprised they've not tried to get 300-400k for Araucaria off someone like Hughes.

Would be made up with 300k if I were the Gleeson's

King Of The Night, a German bred 6yo dual bumper winner from four runs for the Paul Nicholls stable, went for £40k. His best RPR is a reasonable 120, achieved only last month, so it would seem there were no health or soundness issues. I wonder why he sold so cheaply.

It seems remarkable to see horses that have not won even a bumper fetching six figures.

On the other hand there could already be a good £50k of purchase money and training fees already invested in them (say £25k to purchase as a 3yo plus 18 months pre-training and training fees). So £100k would be roughly equivalent to the cost of getting two horses with reasonable potential to the track, but it's less than 50/50 that either of them will be any good, and then have the durability and luck needed for a good career.

Taken from that perspective these prices (apart from the sales topper) are not quite so boggling. To have a young horse that's already been to the track and shown some talent already puts you in a better position, in my opinion, than somebody with £100k to spend on two untried horses.

That said, early promise in bumpers or points is no guarantee of further success, far from it.

There are plenty of good horses out there available cheaply - Sarah Humphrey acquired a dual point winner for £14,000 (big, chasing type) that debuted at Plumpton in March - drifted like a barge but showed great potential in attempting to make all and finishing runner-up to a gambled debutant of Venetia Williams.

Seems to be an over emphasis on the 4yo Maidens in Ireland when compared to other races - particularly in terms of how valuable the winners of such races appear to be relative to the winners of a 5yo+ race or a "Winners of One" event.

Seems to be an over emphasis on the 4yo Maidens in Ireland when compared to other races - particularly in terms of how valuable the winners of such races appear to be relative to the winners of a 5yo+ race or a "Winners of One" event.

There can be a big difference between 4yo and 5yo+ maidens. Generally, the latter can be soft as there are six, seven year olds in it that are useless. The same can be said about the 4yo races but they tend to be more precocious and a little stronger. What you really want is a horse that wins a winners of one filled with four year olds.....irrespective of what age the winner is. Also, important to remember that you can win a lot of points with a very fit sound jumping horse with a modicum of ability. There are very few hiding places in a bumper.

We finished up with a nice 4yo finally to join the corral. Prankster by Rock of Gibraltar Out of Coraline ( Sadlers Wells ) . Nicely bred. Beat that good horse of Nicholls in France Royal Mix. Ex Khalid Abdulla

Good luck with him Roddy - looks a really really nice horse from what I remember of him. Wasn't beaten far by Wajir and Manighar in the Lutece and was lited placed before that :)

Back