Departures 2010

Sorry to import further bad news from another forum, but:

May 3, CENTRIGRADE, collapsed and died after his race at Windsor.

May 4, TURNWORTH, killed at Exeter.

Last night: LOTTA PRESENTS and ONE COOL KNIGHT, dead at Cheltenham.

One of Atacanta's members was inquiring after the welfare of RED KINGDOM at Ballinrobe - up after the fall, or not?

One Cool Knight went in front of the stands on the walkway. After spending a long time trying their best to make sure no-one could see anything that went on after the knackervan loaded him up [the one with horse ambulance painted on the side] someone forgot to shut the top doors on the trailer so they swung about and let everyone see he couldn't possibly be alive in there. There seemed to be a hasty panic to shut those top doors when they eventually realised.

Bastardly sad about them both, looking them up - LOTTA PRESENTS (nice play on the parents and 'lot of presence', which confirms your assessment, Rory) - LP having kicked off well with Irish and British PtPs, and OCK having only his sixth start.

More gloom reported elsewhere:

TRAFALGAR MAN, killed at Wetherby.

MAGISTRATE, 27 April, killed at Wincanton.

PEACEFULL WATERS, very poor hurdler, reported as dying when being ridden at home by Neil Mulholland.

Some forumites and I have noted that the RP has now replaced the stark 'dead' with 'fatally injured', presumably in an attempt to soften the blow of fatality. Don't know why - dead is dead, whether you call it fatally injured, destroyed, pts, or no longer of this mortal coil.

"Fatally injured" is more specific - there was an actual injury; the horse didn't simply drop dead from a heart attack or something.

Too sad for words. Johnny M had come in to request guests' badges earlier on and we wished him well. He is probably my favourite jockey to speak to - cheerful, polite, and charming. I asked him who was his favourite these days to ride, and it's still SNA - said they were disappointed, but aren't giving up on him yet. He's not, he said, needing to grow on to get better, just needs a bit more time to mature. Then CJC went all wrong and his off-fore fetlock broke, poor darling. Nothing sadder than the little saddle being brought back by the groom, and the horse gone.

3 in 2008 and 4 in 2009 up to June, no outings since. 7/10, 10/15, F/11, 11/16, PU/9, PU/14 - assorted negative comments including "not fluent, tailed off, weakened quickly, never remotely on terms, well behind... "

At what point was that going to improve, do you think, Shadz? Not with the paucity of outings he was getting, and not on the basis of the results and RP comments. He may well have been a sweet and much-loved horse, but I'll stand by my comment re his professional record. You wouldn't want that for one of yours, now, surely? :(

Zidane has been retired after finishing down the field at Ascot yesterday.

He was a very talented horse and the style of his victories was something to see as he usually came from way back to get his head in front on the line.

I still think it was a rather harsh comment - he may have improved over fences, or with time, or different going; you don't know, and you cannot judge a horse on the paper form of six hurdle runs and two bumper runs alone! Neil Mulholland and his team are far from idiots so must have seen something other than the 'poor' that you saw. I was just a little surprised to see you put that, not least when you're often gushing about other horses that have died; imagine had it been Place The Duchess or some other horse you 'know' that had died, and all that someone could write on a forum was that it had been a 'poor' horse?

I just knew you'd bring up PTD. Look, I'm entitled to an opinion, and I think he was a poor hurdler. Because he's dead doesn't somehow imbue him with a talent that so far hadn't shown. As for 'gushing', that's just my opinion - boy, you really are up on that Super Critic horse again. If PTD was killed tomorrow, and someone said she was rubbish, I'd agree wholeheartedly. Sweet little horse, totally crap racer. If you recall, Venusian called WORLDWIND 'the worst horse in training' some years ago. Harsh, yes, but entirely true, too.

Jesus Aitch, Shadow - make your mind up - you feel you can be as rude as hell to people on here and about other people's horses as well as other people off here, then you go all cutesy about a simple opinion on one horse. If I can judge PTD from a 2nd and a 3rd - considerably better than the horse we're talking about - and still think she's a rubbish racer, then yes, I sure can think that that horse was 'poor'.

By all means do go on and on trying to batter me into submission, but we are actually allowed on here to have opinions different from yours. It's a wild and radical notion, I know, but it does and can happen!

Thanks Krizon for finding out about Openide. I don't know Brendan and did not want to bother him as knew he was in ireland, but great to know at least the horse is home. Fingers crossed he will be okay, he is a kind of loal hero round here. :<3:

Brendan Duke has just been interviewed on ATR

Openide has a hairline fracture to his shoulder & he has another injury which I didn't catch (sorry)

He is on a min 3 month box rest & is unlikely to run again

He also offered an invite to anyone who wants to visit Openide to come to his yard.

Helen

Krizon, it's nothing to do with allowing you an opinion or not - it's that in this situation, it was not necessary to state your somewhat flawed summation of the animal (considering it was only young) and was somewhat insensitive. Just state that it's dead and be done with it, if you must.

Shadz, you should've gone into teaching, where you could've told everyone what to do to your heart's content. Let's just give the whole bore a rest, shall we? I'm much bigger than you, and you don't want me sitting on you at Goodwood. :p

Back