Departures 2010

Sad about Alfathaa, I liked him when Haggas had him :(

Any news on Air Force One, bad fall today and looked as if his rider was walking in with the bridle which is never a good sign.

He was galloping round after the others at one point, Flame, so maybe the rider took the bridle with him during the fall? I did that once, on a very small pony which stopped absolutely dead in its tracks, as I was smugly demonstrating to his rider how to galvanise him! Flew straight as an arrow over his head and took the lot with me. I can still remember how the bit rattled his teeth as I headed for the dirt!

Sad about Alfathaa, I liked him when Haggas had him :(

Any news on Air Force One, bad fall today and looked as if his rider was walking in with the bridle which is never a good sign.
He looked fine - Kri's pretty much spot on about what happened.

Nicky hendersons Flemmingsbond died at Doncaster yesterday, broke a leg

Only raced once in a bumper previously Nov 08 & this his first start over hurdles

EAGLE MOUNTAIN, 2008 Hong Kong Cup winner, and raced around the world by Mike de Kock, has retired aged six for stud duties. He racked up some $2m in prize money and one might think he'd be a good prospect, were it not for him being retired due to a third injury - this one's a twanged tendon. True, he's spent twice as long on the Flat as some other high-flown sires, who've hobbled off to the breeding sheds much earlier, but I'm not fond of the thought of any of them passing on their vulnerabilities. Fine that they owned a load of dosh for their owners, not so sure about the desirability of passing on weaknesses.

Sad news from Australia about Changingoftheguard, courtesy of ANZ Bloodstock News:
"The former Irish-trained Changingoftheguard (Montjeu) was euthanised yesterday afternoon due to complications following a gelding operation. Changingoftheguard was a late scratching on the morning of the 2009 Melbourne Cup and earned trainer David Hayes a fine due to his outburst at the decision. Changingoftheguard has had one start in Australia when unplaced in the St George Stakes in February."
You don't often hear about that happening, usually the gelding op is pretty straightforward. I wonder what went wrong?

very sad to read, liked him very much last year in york.

well a reminder that every operation, however "small" and "routine" is a risk, even if percentages tell you otherwise. our mare had a punctured gut, and nearly died (in that case they told us 3 from 10 mares acutally make it, so we did beat that odds as well) after a routine follicle check, they told us that happens once in 10.000 (!) cases, but I tell you you are not bothered about statistics if you are the "1" ....

Last edited:
(Our) Aqaleem put down within 12 hours of Changingoftheguard.

Very sad, and bad blow for trainer.

Australia: Trainer David Hayes has endured one of the worst 12 hours of his career with the sudden deaths of imported stayers Changingoftheguard and Our Aqaleem.
The ex Aidan O'Brien-trained Changingoftheguard suffered a ruptured bowel during a routine gelding operation on Wednesday and could not be saved.
Less than 24 hours after his loss, fellow import Our Aqaleem - whoran as Aqaleem when trained by Marcus Tregoning - broke down badly during trackwork and was rushed to the Werribee Equine Centre where he was put down on humane grounds.

How does a bowel rupture?

my only explanation it that the horse was a rick (is that how you call it?) and the gelding operation involved getting "into" the horse. then it must have been a simple "vet´s mistake" ....

PS: not a vet and proper terms fail me (part. in english) but there is a spot where the bowels do not take much to rupture, as mentioned above with belle fee. that happend by a simple check through the anus, and the vet did not carry a watch or anything sharp etc.

sorry for spelling mistakes, and as said, is only my guess, and I am NOT a vet etc., but cannot see another way an injury like that can occur during a gelding operation. after all, its not uncommon to cut a horse with only local anaestetics (aargh-spelling again!) and the horse in question standing up.

The word is 'rig'. Very unpleasant time for the yard. I suppose a small consolation will be an insurance pay-out, but that's not the point.

Most insurance companies (over here - no idea about over there!) dont pay out for castrations - nor complications arising from them, so Id be suprised if the horse would be covered (though i guess they might be able to argue the death of the horse,just not the op/complications)... what bloody awful luck for the yard :(

I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere, Crazy - not on the live broadcasts at the time, anyway. I guess that was a heart attack?

Back