Departures 2010

Today I rode out a Galileo 3yo filly out of Lady Cricket. Her first foal was a colt (then gelded) by Alflora which was useless but this one may be interesting. Shes owned by David Johnson and should be going to David Pipe's for a run back end on the flat and then over jumps I presume. She's got a lovely temperament and although I only took her out on the roads, I thought she had a bit about her. Time will tell.

Wasn't there a full brother or sister to this latest one with Hugie Morrison that was very highly strung and had a fatal accident on the gallops? It's fair to say her broodmare career is yet to match her exploits on the raceourse.

Of course they can but you often have to go through an awful lot of 'wastage' before you find her...

My grey mare is tough as old boots!!! One of t'others hasn't been broken in yet so who knows, but on behaviour she's likely to be very similar. The big mare seems pretty tough as well so maybe we can pick the tough 'uns! :D

Whiteoak has been retired from racing. Bearing in mind what has been said about Orana Conti and her sad demise I can, hand on heart, say I'm glad to see Whiteoak, as a mare, have a chance at stud. Good luck to her.

Brian Hamilton's Chief Oscar has just won the Ulster National at Downpatrick, but sadly had a heart attack and died on it's way back to the paddock after the race.

Taranis has been scratched from the Gold Cup and Grand National. I am told he broke down and was destroyed on the gallops this morning. If this is true, it's very sad, one of my favourite horses.

Last edited:
Candy Creek is another retired and sent to stud.

On the Orani Conti front,does anyone know what actually led to her demise. She lifted her head just after falling but then just looked to be exhausted and put her head back down.At this time I was thinking/hoping for the best and just waiting for the big cheer when she got to her feet (apparently they nearly had her up at one point according to Boycie on ATR) but unfortunately this never came.
Big shame about Chief Oscar today too,sad way to go.

It was literally unbelievable - the camera's tracking the darling boy back to his winner's enclosure and then splat! - I thought he'd done a leg falling into one of the divot holes. He went down so fast and then twitched in that godawful way that you know means the end. The only consolation, which is nothing really, is that he went quickly and without pain. The poor trainer - his longed-for win in this race coming true at last (imagine the joy as the horse battled home) and seconds later, all that glee undone. Such a nice-looking animal, too, and no age, either. Too bloody sad.

I remember a similar thing happening in the Ulster National in about 1986, when Braes O'Tully collapsed and died in the winners enclosure after being placed (he was a tearaway front runner). The Irish News sports/photographic editor had a penchant for the macabre and they published a photo of the horse's inconcolable lass cradling his head in her lap. They also published pictures of Dark Ivy's Aintree fall and other equine fatalities around that time.

Oh, crikey, what an utterly miserable image that must've been and still conjures up, Rory. Dreadful affair for all who'd gone to cheer in the gallant winner, too - I bet everyone went home a bit downbeat.

I remember Domaine De Pron collapsed and died after he won the Eider for Lavinia Taylor a few years' back,real shame when these horses have put so much effort into their victories and pay the ultimate price.

Didn't one of Paul Nicholls horses collapse coming back from the gold cup one year? I think it was second, can't think for the life of me what it was called.

Candy Creek is another retired and sent to stud.

On the Orani Conti front,does anyone know what actually led to her demise. She lifted her head just after falling but then just looked to be exhausted and put her head back down.At this time I was thinking/hoping for the best and just waiting for the big cheer when she got to her feet (apparently they nearly had her up at one point according to Boycie on ATR) but unfortunately this never came.
Big shame about Chief Oscar today too,sad way to go.

For whatever reason, they could not get her back end up.

Can't be bothered to go that far back to find out, but if we didn't know: FIEPPES SHUFFLE, German-trained winner of the 2008 Desert Orchid Chase, who won 17 races in all, has been retired at the age of 10.

I'm pretty sure we've flagged up STAR DE MOHAISON's retirement elsewhere, but a couple of obits to add are YAVANA'S PACE, oldest British-trained Group 1 winner when landing the 2002 Pokal, at Cologne, when 10 years old, has passed away at the age of 18.

And ALFATHAA, 5 y.o. NAYEF gelding purchased in October by Michael Dods for Andrew Tinkler, has also passed away.

Apologies if I've repeated any prior news!

Back