Derby Meeting 2021

Same race, I'm very keen on Shelir (9/1). Earlier today I wrote elsewhere:

Although this race isn’t on TV I had a look because of its value. Quite a few of these wouldn’t get much of a chance to compete for this kind of money normally. However, it’s still quite an uncompetitive affair and I’m more than happy not to look past Shelir (9/1) who has plenty going for him and should probably be favourite. Not all bookies are putting up prices yet so I plan to hold off until they do and hope for 10/1. If 9/1 is the best on offer I’ll be more than happy to take it.

I've been offline since then so don't know if I missed 10s anywhere but I see Shelir is blue and 9s tops. I reckon he should be no more than 3/1.

Down to 3/1...

Fingers crossed.

Hope you had a good day Truncheon.

I am going tomorrow and like you are planning to get there about 1/2 hour before the first race.

Was it straight forward getting in?

On the Saturday, in the 3 year old handicap, Patient Dream (Saturday 2.00) is the horse I'm liking the look of. He improved markedly from his gelding operation, when winning first time out.

The form looks top class as the second and third horses look very good progressive three year olds who have won other races since.

The fourth horse trained by O Meara is actually entered at Ayr this Wednesday called T J Eckleburg if anyone's interested, it'd be no surprise to see him frank the form based on how the others have done since.

So yes Patient Dream looks a good one to back in the race.

In the Dash, I was on the Tim Easterby trained Sunday Sovereign (Saturday 3.45), last week. He out ran the odds in a big way showing plenty of early dash.

He was with Paddy Tworney in Ireland as a youngster where he was rated 108 at one stage. Horses like him don't get rated 108 and go off favorite for group races like the Norfolk at Royal Ascot for no reason. He might just be better after being gelded too.

This was a really good run last Saturday and only gets him a 3lb rise now on 98, which is about right. He looked a big powerful type who eats up the ground, which I think is the type of horse you want for this race.

I can't guarantee he will win but I reckon he's every chance of going close and placing at a minimum.

11/4 and 5/1 now.

Fingers crossed.

Hope you had a good day Truncheon.

I am going tomorrow and like you are planning to get there about 1/2 hour before the first race.

Was it straight forward getting in?

You have PM mate

Tbh it felt like normal, not much social distancing and not many wearing masks either

I think it's fight or flight time for everyone and quite right too

Thanks Truncheon.

What a great day no tripping up discarded plastic glasses or having to fight your way up to the grandstand dodging your way around large groups who have set themselves up for the day.

Oh and also a free programme when they normally charge £5.

The only downsides were finding it impossible to get a table in order to be able to get a drink and the slight lack of the Derby day cheering.

Last edited:
Back