Derek Thompson - Cancer

Ballydoyle

At the Start
From the RP today:

CHANNEL 4 RACING presenter Derek Thompson is standing down from his racing commitments as he prepares for cancer surgery at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge.
An official statement from Channel 4 said Thompson's leave would start immediately and continue throughout July.
The larger-than-life presenter and commentator, widely known as Tommo, also expressed his thanks to TV producers and racecourse owners for their understanding.
"It's going to be very frustrating because after Royal Ascot there are so many top meetings coming up around the country that I would normally enjoy but I will continue watching them in hospital," said Thompson.
His wife Julie added: "It's going to be a testing few weeks, especially because Derek's a man used to working every day. I'm hoping that he'll be a good patient. We would like to thank all the people for their many good wishes and support."

Whatever your views on him as a commentator etc we should all wish him luck in beating this.

Often see Tommo in the shops or on his way out of his kid's school as I pass it on the way home from work. I've also let him out into the traffic a time or two. He always acknowledges it with a big grin and a wave. Nice fella IMO.

God speed to his recovery from this wicked illness.

I met him once several years ago and he was lovely, plenty of time to speak to people, very polite - I wish him all the best and hope he makes a full recovery. I wouldn't wish cancer in any form on anybody, whatever my opinion of them. It is in, in all it's various forms, a horrible thing to have.

My father died from a type of cancer. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I have only met Thommo once and he was nothing but charming, and had time for everyone. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Wish him all the best, my dad had cancer last year and has now been given the all clear, here's hoping the same for Thommo.

Good old Tommo. A class act . Hope you recover soon old boy. I ill never forget him standing by the gate at Royal Ascot with the camera ready to welcome everyone in on the gate opening. Only problem was he was waiting by the wrong gate and the people came in 200 yards away

Whatever your views on him as a commentator etc we should all wish him luck in beating this.

Why say this?... why should his merits as a commentator good or bad have any bearing whatsoever on whether we wish him luck?

Of course we should wish him the best, as we should anyone in a similar situation.

my apologies

but if your post hadn't been removed i'd have known that..so its your fault i made that error;)

:D Technically speaking, since Ballydoyle started the thread, my post couldn't have been made prior to it. (and I didn't remove the post - nor did it contravene any board rules which might have given me prior reason to believe that it might be removed, so I deny responsibility for any error on your part). In fact, it didn't do a lot of things that people have subsequently given it credit for but hey ho!

Back