Diamond Geezer

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
It is with the biggest regret that I have to report that Roger sadly passed away yesterday morning aged 72. As many of you know from his last post, he had suffered a fall and further issues were found.

He was the most wonderful contributor to this forum organising the best competitions. I did have the pleasure of meeting him and he was as nice in person as on here. A wealth of racing knowledge and just an all round good guy. DG the place will miss you more than you will ever know.

I'm deeply saddened by this news. We were in regular touch on FB and it was only back in late February that I sent him a vinyl record he wanted.

I knew he'd been sheltering very seriously through the pandemic and was taking absolutely no chances but he never let on about the other issues. I think someone on here mentioned recently that he wasn't doing so well, which explained why he hadn't been in touch for a wee while.

I never got to meet him in person but if you can 'know' anyone via social media then I'd have to say he certainly lived up to his pseudonym.

A proper Diamond Geezer.

RIP

Last edited:
I'm deeply saddened by this news. We were in regular touch on FB and it was only back in late February that I sent him a vinyl record he wanted.

I knew he'd been sheltering very seriously through the pandemic and was taking absolutely no chances but he never let on about the other issues. I think someone on here mentioned recently that he wasn't doing so well, which explained why he hadn't been in touch for a wee while.

I never got to meet him in person but if you can 'know' anyone via social media then I'd have to say he certainly lived up to his pseudonym.

A proper Diamond Geezer.

RIP

Yes I have Roger on facebook aswell this is such sad news.

He put in so much hard work on this forum with the competitions and if you needed to know something about the handicap entries for Cheltenham or anything else for that matter Roger would help you out.

This place won't quite be the same without him.

R.I.P Roger thanks for the memories.

Oh God, so sorry to hear that. I tend to tune out of here after the NH season so hadn’t realised he was sick. It’s a testament to the man and his immense contribution here that I can whole hearty say I am both shocked and saddened to hear this news, having never even met Roger. He was the pillar of the forum and will be missed greatly. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh h’anam díllis agus solas Mhic Dé ar a h’anam.

RIP

Last edited:
Truly awful news. From every online conversation I had with him over many years he always struck me as a lovely man and he will be sorely missed.

His contributions to this forum were immense.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Roger.

Yes I have Roger on facebook aswell this is such sad news.

He put in so much hard work on this forum with the competitions and if you needed to know something about the handicap entries for Cheltenham or anything else for that matter Roger would help you out.

This place won't quite be the same without him.

R.I.P Roger thanks for the memories.
Echo those sentiments,a great guy and and. a massive loss to this forum.
Sincere condolences.
RIP Roger.

So sad to read this. A true gentleman which came through in spades on the few occasions we corresponded via PM

A fellow Cornishman he will be much missed by all on here

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've met Roger and his lovely wife at the races a number of times. They were a delightful couple and I send my deepest condolences to his family and friends. as it has been said already he'll be much missed on here.

Very sad to hear DG has passed away.he will be missed by all on here.such a shame.
RIP Roger.

Very sad to hear DG has passed away.he will be missed by all on here.such a shame.
RIP Roger.

Just heard about this earlier on Whatsapp. Another sad loss, with another original forum stalwart now taken from us. Condolences to Roger's family, friends and the forum members who knew him best.

What sad news. Always came across as a gent you`d be privileges to know. His contribution to this forum was immense. Rest in peace, Roger.

Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve lost so many dear friends over the past couple of years and losing someone I only know via the internet upsets me just as much. I,too, have shielded throughout the pandemic and it saddens me that so many people spent the last part of their lives not going places or meeting people. He’s a great loss to the forum. My condolences to his family.

Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve lost so many dear friends over the past couple of years and losing someone I only know via the internet upsets me just as much. I,too, have shielded throughout the pandemic and it saddens me that so many people spent the last part of their lives not going places or meeting people. He’s a great loss to the forum. My condolences to his family.

Very sad news. I never met Roger, but we were in frequent contact regarding the various competitions. He was very conscientious and efficient, and between them he and Faye (NewApproach) have made a great success of running the main Ante Post and Ten To Follow competitions, and also some smaller ones marking the bigger meetings. He also initiated a Caption Please thread that provided a lot of entertainment. It goes without saying that he will be a big loss here.

Regarding this year's Ten To Follow competition, it has run aground owing to Roger's illness. As a tribute to him I will take on to calculate the final scores, of the main contenders at least, and get the job finished. I think it is what he would want.

Rest In Peace, Roger

Back