Dobbin

Ricko

Rookie
Strenth in the saddle just saw him home in his last ride :suspect:

McCallister did a great job in not getting him past there. Terrible stuff.

It's no surprise it was such a small field - would you have wanted your horse in that race, knowing the jock would be a pariah in the Weighing Room if he got past Dobbo? It was pretty sporting of the other owners to let theirs run imo :P

PS don't think Ballyvoge will win another for a while - he did his best not to help, by the sound of it!

Originally posted by Headstrong@Apr 10 2008, 02:36 PM
would you have wanted your horse in that race, knowing the jock would be a pariah in the Weighing Room if he got past Dobbo?
Would Dobbin have wanted to win in such circumstances? His last ride will be forever be associated with suggestions that he was allowed to win the race. The authorities need to tell jocks in races where one of the weighing room stalwarts is riding for the last time, that they are all going to be watched closely.

We are not dealing with a football testimonial for an ageing pro. We are dealing with a race where tens of thousands of people have placed a bet in good faith. I had no bet on the race and have just watched the re-run.

Originally posted by jft2005@Apr 10 2008, 07:45 PM
there is no way mccallister was going to ruin the day for dobbin, id have done the same.
You'd rather the game was bent? Ace.

Will, it really was that bad!!!

Not only that but McAlister seemed to want to try and insult everyones intelligence by not only flapping his elbows around dramatically but deliberately making a meal of at least two whip changes and dropping reins on purpose! It was pantomime stuff.

I blame Nicky Richards ~ he should have found a proper steering job for Mr Dobbin to ride, and not some ropey old pig like Ballyvoge. Muppitt!

Horses including Akilak withdrawn and a dubious finish leaves no doubt that the intention was for Tony Dobbin to go out on a winning note. McAllister was left in an unenviable position for such a young jockey when his mount had more or less taken him to a winning postion and you have to feel a little sorry for him. He'd have been lynched in the dressing room if his horse had got his nose in front.

I don't begrudge Dobbin going out on a winner at all whatever the circumstances. He's been a top jock for many years and it's a fitting way for him to end his career, and given it was patently obvious that this would happen barring a fall any punter who backed against it shouldn't be let near a betting shop or and exchange website for there own financial wellbeing.

People throw out the argument that racing doesn't need this and it leaves a sour taste and calls integrity into question. The very same people new this was highly likely in advance and weren't left to try and figure it out after the race. I applaud racing for giving it's stalwarts a fitting send-off. Tony Dobbin was a shining example for any young jockey and those who object to this should go and get a life.

People throw out the argument that racing doesn't need this and it leaves a sour taste and calls integrity into question. The very same people new this was highly likely in advance and weren't left to try and figure it out after the race. I applaud racing for giving it's stalwarts a fitting send-off. Tony Dobbin was a shining example for any young jockey and those who object to this should go and get a life.

People should be aplauded for handing him the race?

I suggest that in the future these should be treated as non-competitive events, and that there should be no betting on them.

Retirement rides, comebacks from injuries, your seventh winner to go through the card.

Saw the race too and don´t think it was half as bad as people say on here. I have seen worse finishes and even some at Cheltenham incl. a much loved jockey on here. why not giving all invovled the benefit of the doubt and the 2nd horse did not find so much under pressure??? it happened to others ....

I don't care what happened on his last ride, not Dobs fault was it. Im sure he wouldnt want everyone to remember his last ride in those circumstances. Proper gent he is and I hope he is as successfull as a trainer as he was a jock

Originally posted by Maruco@Apr 11 2008, 08:43 AM
McAllister was left in an unenviable position for such a young jockey when his mount had more or less taken him to a winning postion and you have to feel a little sorry for him. He'd have been lynched in the dressing room if his horse had got his nose in front.
...... and given it was patently obvious that this would happen barring a fall any punter who backed against it shouldn't be let near a betting shop or and exchange website for there own financial wellbeing.
Absolutely correct, the kid was put in a terrible position. apparently he's only won 2 races... ! He said today in the RP that his horse is 17.2 and needs a lot of organising, that they hit the 3rd last and he toruble getting him together again.

I didn't see the race btw; but anyone who expected anything else is, as Maruco implies, a complete muppet.

Rory is right about NR finding Dobbo a steering job, but he was apparently as taken by surprise as the rest of us by his jock's decision to quit on Thursday, so in a sense Dobbo chose the horse to go out on! He certainly had to work for his winner LOL

By the way Ballyvogue was bred at the same small stud as Comply Or Die.

:shy: Oh, good for him! I did rather rush through the RP as I had the one from behind the desk at the bookies and there was a queue! Just come out the doc's too, back to bed in a mo - not firing on all cylinders.....

McAllister was doubtless put in an invidious position (but then a 15 point deduction, chronic mis-management, the sale players, and crippling debts have all brought this about).

Bookies? well they could have refused to take the bet, and set up a 'without' market only.

Punters wanting to back something else, could have placed a Tote forecast to enhance their pay out.

I do remember however, that one of the principal defensive lines that the industry trotted out during the last round of race fixing allegations was that it would be "impossible" to fix a race due to the sheer number of people that it would require to comply and co-operate. I fear we might have seen that line well and truly exposed now, (although few of us believed it I suspect anyway).

At the end of the day, rules are rules and I don't really see they can be waived just because an interest group wish to conspire to ensure a stalwart jockey wins his last race. Will this become the norm? essentially nothing more than a football testimonial match, or cricketing benefit match. A simple exhibition of jumping to say thankyou?

In truth, Dobbin could have removed the pressure from McAllister and all other jockeys and other owners by simply climbing off his last winner and announcing his retirement on the spot with immediate effect (obviously there would be ways of doing this properly by making reasonable contingency) but so long as it was kept in a close circle of people it would probably have been fairer all round

Originally posted by Warbler@Apr 11 2008, 04:13 PM
McAllister was doubtless put in an invidious position (but then a 15 point deduction, chronic mis-management, the sale players, and crippling debts have all brought this about).

Bookies? well they could have refused to take the bet, and set up a 'without' market only.

Punters wanting to back something else, could have placed a Tote forecast to enhance their pay out.

I do remember however, that one of the principal defensive lines that the industry trotted out during the last round of race fixing allegations was that it would be "impossible" to fix a race due to the sheer number of people that it would require to comply and co-operate. I fear we might have seen that line well and truly exposed now, (although few of us believed it I suspect anyway).

At the end of the day, rules are rules and I don't really see they can be waived just because an interest group wish to conspire to ensure a stalwart jockey wins his last race. Will this become the norm? essentially nothing more than a football testimonial match, or cricketing benefit match. A simple exhibition of jumping to say thankyou?

In truth, Dobbin could have removed the pressure from McAllister and all other jockeys and other owners by simply climbing off his last winner and announcing his retirement on the spot with immediate effect (obviously there would be ways of doing this properly by making reasonable contingency) but so long as it was kept in a close circle of people it would probably have been fairer all round
Sense spoken.

I haven't seen the "episode"? did hear a bit on tv today but what about the punters in the betting shops, they couldn't care less about Dobbin, they wanna win some dosh. :rolleyes:

In agreement with Warbler tho'.

Originally posted by Ricko+Apr 10 2008, 09:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ricko @ Apr 10 2008, 09:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jft2005@Apr 10 2008, 07:45 PM
there is no way mccallister was going to ruin the day for dobbin, id have done the same.
You'd rather the game was bent? Ace. [/b][/quote]
the game is bent to a certain extent, never going to change. this was a non betting race for anyone with common sense, if you did bet on it then you deserve to have lost. trouble with common sense is though, its not very common.

Back