Dubai Carnival

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Finally, the carnival starts today! As Dubai is so popular on this board :p I thought it should have it's own thread and kick off proceedings with a couple of tips which will probably finish tailed off:

In the 3.55, Too Nice Name is an absolutely massive price at 40/1. This ex-French trained horse has been running midfield in group races since the beginning of time. He's been beaten 3L by Makfi, 5L by Dalghar and 5L by Elusive Wave and he's now in a handicap off 106. His form is way above some of the others in this field and whilst there are question marks over the ground (although it's only good here, the RP keep saying in spotlights it's quick) and his fitness after a long time off, I'm prepared to chance it in what is a winnable race at 40/1.

Lawspeaker is another one that's been running in Group races that has slipped into a handicap. He finished 5th in the GP De Paris and is still lightly raced against some of these who have been round the block a few times. The De Kock horses look dangers but I'm prepared to risk an EW bet at 12/1 for a yard and jockey that always fire well here.

Halicarnassus should really be in a kennel rather than a stable but how does he get in a handicap today off 96? Has a really good record first time up at the Carnival too, runner-up in 2010 off 110 and winner at Nad Al Sheba in 2009 off 108.

Agree with that DJ.

I may be missing something but how is Sea Lord 8/1 in the 6.15? A Group 3 winner (from Poet's Voice) on his penultimate start, and his last run was 6 lengths behind Cape Blanco (0.5 lengths behind Rip, and ahead of Famous Name). Thoroughly progressive, consistent and straight forward, and must surely be the pick on form figures.

Should he not be clear favourite?

Last edited:
Great tipping with Halicarnassus-shame he couldn't hold on.I was urging him on despite not having a bet in the race.

Its good stuff. Much better than the english flat stuff at this time of the year. In my opinion, flat racing should eb about racing like they have in Dubai yesterday, good competitive racing at a good level, full of exposed and unexposed sorts running for good level prizemoney on a relatively fair track. Slight bias towards front runners.

Hold on! Gal, you can now actually enjoy proceedings in the Gulf.... :p

From the RP:

First Dubai entries for Ballydoyle in six years

THE prospect of Ballydoyle having their first runners for six years in Dubai was raised on Friday when it was revealed that Aidan O'Brien has entered four horses, including dual Group 1 winner Cape Blanco, for the World Cup night card.

Cape Blanco, successful in both the Irish Derby and Irish Champion Stakes, will be unveiled as the surprise package when entries are announced for the $10 million Dubai World Cup, the highlight of a fixture that Ballydoyle has shunned since relations between Sheikh Mohammed and Coolmore boss John Magnier deteriorated in 2005.

Powerscourt, fifth in that year's Sheema Classic, remains the last horse to have represented O'Brien in Dubai, although the colours of Magnier's wife Sue were carried to victory at Nad Al Sheba in 2009 when the Mike deKock-trained Front House landed a Group 2 contest.

A Ballydoyle presence at Meydan has been considered unlikely due to an impasse between the sport's two superpowers that Sheikh Mohammed described as a "private matter".

Speaking last year, Michael Collins, the Dubai Racing Club's Irish representative, said: "Until the row is fixed between the two of them, I honestly do not think that there will be horses from Ballydoyle running in Dubai.

"We had Powerscourt running in the Sheema Classic, but then the thing between them started, and I don't think there's much chance of getting their horses out there until it's fixed."

Although there have been no obvious signs of a reconciliation, Magnier's decision to authorise entries will lead to speculation that an olive branch has been offered to Sheikh Mohammed, whose desire to further raise the status of Dubai racing has been hampered by an absence of runners from Ballydoyle.

Aswell as being entered for the World Cup, Cape Blanco is also listed for the $5 million Sheema Classic, for which Joshua Tree, now in the ownershipof Kalifa Bin Hamad Al Attiyah, was also nominated at Thursday's deadline stage. In addition, Alexander Pope and Master Of Hounds have been put in the UAE Derby.

Confirming the news of Ballydoyle's entries, Martin Talty, the Dubai Racing Club's international manager, said: "It's fantastic that a horse of the calibre of Cape Blanco, an Irish Derby and Irish Champion Stakes winner, is entered for the World Cup. It is a race that deserves a horse of that quality."

A bit of a power shift last year with Shamardal proving to be a very influential sire and O'Briens 2yo looking a very modest bunch. There is a theory that his string were way off the pace last year dut to the weather here last winter. Godolphoin look to have two live Derby contenders and could have a very big year. It's a bit confusing though witht he split of trainers. I thought Sheikh Mohammed might be a bet for top trainer but he looks to short in the betting now with dubai Prince and Casamento going to Al Zarooni.

Are we going to see a few Darley bred horses in the Coolmore string in 2012?

You would imagine the Ballydoyle shift in stance is down to the involvement of the new Qatari owner.

Will be interesting to see how many of the 2011 2yo's he is involved with.

It will be interesting to see what goes from Hong Kong (if anything) to Dubai for the sprints.

Sacred Kingdom won on Sunday night at Group 1 level in Hong Kong over 6f.

Rocket Man has been confirmed I believe for the sprint on dirt, and hopefully he can break his International Sprint "duck" this time around.

I doubt the owner's of Black Caviar (the highest ranked sprinter in the world) will entertain the thought of sending her offshore. Though Hay List, the other top ranked world sprinter from Australia might have a huge chance of going. Fingers crossed that he does.

Back