Dubai Carnival

Very good racing at Meydan today...

The last race looks the most interesting, and really looking forward to seeing how Simon de Montfort (one time Derby hope; hasn't run since winning his trial) and Zeitoper (undefeated; Group 3 winner as a 2yo; impeccably bred). Both are well worth a bet despite long absences, with the former at 5s and the latter at 10s off a mark of 100 could absolutely hack up.

Not a lot for me today, looking forward to getting a good set of ratings and then go in hard against these De Kock and Godolphin hot pots who seem to be put at the top of the market regardless. Going easy for now as it's hard to get a handle on the form of De Kock's.

Two very small bets for me, backed Oroveso in the 5.10 EW, ran a nice enough race LTO and ran a good figure on the surface at last year's carnival. In the 5.45, I've backed Ayun Tara EW who has some good French form and she's 3 times the price of the Godolphin mare who is really only a listed horse. Again though, no idea what the De Kock horse is but worth chancing my arm EW at 10/1.

I get a vibe from the Godolphin website that Aspectoflove is expected to go in - so I've had some of the 3/1 available in the hope it will be well backed.

Aspectsoflove is definitely better than a listed horse. Her form with Sajihaa could look really good in a few months time. Nice horse and seems to have a lovely attitude. 3s too big.

What piece of form makes her better than listed class really? That said, this is one of the worst group twos ever, none of them are much better than Listed class but I'd much rather be with Ayun Tara EW than Aspectoflove who is hardly on an upward curve either.

Money for De Kock's this morning but that could be anything really, wouldn't take it as a sign of confidence in these markets.

Hmmm... see FAREER's entered in the last at Meydan on Thursday!! Drawn 1 (I think, assuming I've read their race card correctly!).

Slight concern by lack of pace but have to back Sweet Lightning in the 2.35. I'm convinced most from the family are better on artificial surfaces and think Sweet Lightning could improve some more for the switch to tapeta. Won fto last year and runner-up in the Roseberry on reappearance in 2009. If he were mine, I'd be bringing him back home for the Winter Derby.

Think the De Kock horse is plenty short enough in the 5.45 and Presvis is a glorified farmyard animal these days so with Sea Lord drawn in 1 as a front runner, I've had to have a nibble on him EW.

Think Frozen Power, La Drakkar and Bushman could all arguably be overpriced too given the skewing of the market around De Kock's.

Having a speculative punt on Jalil each way in the next was a very good horse a couple of seasons ago and didnt shape to badly the last day

Couldn't have got that race anymore wrong other than the price of De Kock's. In absolutely desperate form at present!

Shite, didn't get to the front as 2 or 3 others went up for a speed battle at a blistering paced. He sat in behind them and then folded in the straight.

Fareer and Royal Revival both seem to have decent chances for me in the next. Then I will go home with my tail between my legs.

Stone bonking last - whether he isn't sound or hasn't had time to acclimatise, no idea but I know he's only been there about 10 days.

Back