Duncan Davidson

In a perfect world you would limit any one owner to a certain number of horses in your yard,this would minimise the impact of him going skint or going to somebody else.In the real world if a big owner wants to keep a dozen or more in your yard there aren't too many trainers who would turn them down.Look at Howard Johnson/ Graham Wylie!!!!!!!!

If any of the property boys have invested in Spain they will be in big trouble - prices are collapsing there, and the regional Govts have been coming down hard too on 'dodgy' developments which didn't bother to get all their permissions in place

In a perfect world you would limit any one owner to a certain number of horses in your yard,this would minimise the impact of him going skint or going to somebody else.In the real world if a big owner wants to keep a dozen or more in your yard there aren't too many trainers who would turn them down.Look at Howard Johnson/ Graham Wylie!!!!!!!!

I take your point, but Paul Nicholls and as I have already mentioned Meade and Mullins have done it and risen to the top of the game. (I appreciate Paul Barber is his landlord, but he has a fair spread of owners).

Any credible business plan would suggest you spread your sources of revenue so as not to be exposed if one of those oncome streams is clsoed off.

I also take your point about Wylie/Johnson. However Johnson is quite a bit older than Wylie so one rpesumes Wylie will still be owning when Johnson is retired. Moreover, Wylie made his money in Computers and sold up, so he is not still invested solely in one sector which could go belly up any time (as with the building trade).

Some of my friends were in the property game and they had 22 in training last year with a paid trainer and have sold the lot and renting out the yard.

Property has been hit badly, so badly I don't wanna sell my house at the moment and I'm desperately trying to save so I can buy a 2nd house near my horses, it needs alot of work but just over 115k for a 2 bedroom house in Sherborne is a bargain. In ten years time it would have doubled in value.

Getting the 2nd mortgage may be tricky though and I don't wanna borrow against my current base.

I'm keen to expand my owning activities and would love a few babies next year. I'm keeping both my yearlings and my 2 foals, so thats 4 for starters. However I have an advantage of getting them a month or so from racing and then sending to a trainer, it keeps the bills down.

Star is the exception but he's more of a pet tbh and isn't soley owned by me.

Nicholls would be in trouble mind if Barber pulled out, as he's upset alot of his smaller owners along the way. I do feel bad for Nicky Richards however, lovely bloke the twice I've met him and he does seem the type who may not be able to recover. I can't see the north of England/Scotland brimming with cash at present.

If any of the property boys have invested in Spain they will be in big trouble - prices are collapsing there, and the regional Govts have been coming down hard too on 'dodgy' developments which didn't bother to get all their permissions in place
Wish they'd come down in Cadiz HS - far better value than in the UK but far from "cheap".

Feck me, that'd be one hell of a commute Martin!!!!! :D

Don't forget to add an extra hour to the journey each way for border queues as well!

Feck me, that'd be one hell of a commute Martin!!!!! :D

Don't forget to add an extra hour to the journey each way for border queues as well!
The state of Cadiz ;)

Not planning on that much of a commute lol - they're adding an hour at the border anyway as the border guards have gone on strike.

Cheers SL, I noticed Richards bought him back in. I can see why at that price. He won't win a a handicap hurdle from his current mark, but if he's physically sound, he could win a novice chase or 2.

Interesting to see what Tim Vaughan does with Safari Run.

Be even more interesting to see what happens to Come Along Cornwall, a mare pulled up in her first PTP when striking into herself before winning her next one by 35 lengths. She looked a lovely mare, large and athletic with a lovely stride on her. She was knocked down to a family of people in the seats for £65k but I see the sale was subsequently cancelled.

Kim Bailey bought Von Galen, formerly with Nicky Henderson's yard, for £40,000 to send novice chasing.

Comealong Cornwall is nicely bred, has plenty of scope and should do well, and would have probably been well worth the £65k if the sale had gone through - unlike Bentota, who went for the same amount. He was unraced until he was 7, beat rubbish in both his starts and has joined a bad yard for his career under Rules. He'll struggle to win back a fraction of what he cost.

Point West, who also cost 65k, is a nice sort and should also do well as long as he isn't asked to do too much too soon.

Bentota didn't even look that much cop physically whereas Come On Cornwall, despite the obvious form claims, looked a lovely animal - she owned the ring, being a large imposing type and a lovely fluid mover.

I have no idea who she was knocked down to - as I say the sale was cancelled - but I did comment at the time that they did look rather like a family out on a day trip rather then potential buyers!

Be even more interesting to see what happens to Come Along Cornwall, a mare pulled up in her first PTP when striking into herself before winning her next one by 35 lengths. She looked a lovely mare, large and athletic with a lovely stride on her. She was knocked down to a family of people in the seats for £65k but I see the sale was subsequently cancelled.
Correction-she was knocked down to a family for £24k, and the sale was subsequently cancelled. Bentota was the horse sold for £65k. :)

You'll know more than me, Shadz, but how come they're allowed to cancel the sale? They've just wasted the times of the vendor, and the other bidders. Will the vendor then go and offer the underbidders the horse?

Last edited:
Shite, you're right on both counts - it was Bentota sale that was for £65k and was knocked down to the family, and the sale did go through. Once you've seen so many horses go through the ring, a few seem to morph! That's what looking at over fifty horses in two days does to you!

No idea why the sale was cancelled - could have been for various reasons. Horse may have failed the vet, or the payment may not have gone through, although those horses tend to be reoffered again. I can't remember who had Come Along Cornwall knocked down to them in the ring now, I think I can remember but since I'm not sure I won't mention it!

What's shite about me being right? :p

Yes, the guy who bought Bentota was a J.Routledge-Martin. Who the feck he is, I don't know. He's not listed as a trainer or owner on the RP database. I thought the horse was bought by Paul Dalton, from what QC said on FF but now I've checked that he wasn't I've queried her on there.

It was a woman doing the bidding, and I believe the sale went down as Ms J Routledge-Martin. Point to point I'm sure.

Ms J Routledge-Martin was the owner of Glamanglitz who was trained by Paul Dalton. That's where he'll be going now.

Barnhill Brownie will go to Philip Hobbs and The Sliotar will go to Pipe's and is owned by Roger Brookhouse.

Ms J Routledge-Martin was the owner of Glamanglitz who was trained by Paul Dalton. That's where he'll be going now.

Barnhill Brownie will go to Philip Hobbs and The Sliotar will go to Pipe's and is owned by Roger Brookhouse.
Had high hopes for The Sliotar too :(

Good ol' David Pipe - approached me at Donny specifically to ask if I was the girl who used to work at Howard Johnson's, said he'd seen me lead up loads of his runners!

Strange thing is that plenty of people on here will be aware that the girl he mistook me for is actually one of my closest friends and has been since school! Of course that might be why he mixed us up - he'd more likely than not seen us together many times on a racecourse.

That Bentota was quite a big purchase for such a small stable, though. Good luck to them, would be nice for them to win some big prizes and take all the glory from the big man.

Yes, Rory. She has owned horses with Paul Dalton, such as Blazing Hills and Glamanglitz. She's also had horses with Keith Reveley and has her flat horses with Brian Smart.

She also owned a 1/3 share in Zilch which was with Michael Bell and has also has part ownerships of horses with Charlie Egerton.

P.S...she still goes by the name of Julie Martin too.

Back