Durkan Chase

I think he's got a tougher job on to win the Durkan, than he would have had in the Tinge Creek, to be honest.

No doubt, Gal, but I think this is a very competitive Durkan (despite the numbers) and reckon he is less well suited to 20f than the others.

To be honest, I don't think the Tingle Creek will take a great deal of winning. Everything at the head of the market gives you at least one solid reason to take it on, hence the massive confidence behind Fix The Rib in Barker's absence. :lol:

IN COMPLIANCE?

If he puts in another sound performance (wins or comes very close) will connection aim him at the Gold Cup?

Before he was injured they always thought he was a potential GC Champ in the making, obviously there are 2 big stumbling blocks at the head of the GC market but a good run on Sunday could well put him in the picture.

I was at Thurles last time he ran and he jumped for fun. Paddy Flood's words to Dessie Hughes in winners enclosure after were literally "he's some yoke to leap, we'll have some fun with him. Roll on Cheltenham." So I would imagine you're right NTF.

As i've said previously also, I would rate him the biggest danger to my selection, Aran Concerto! I was very impressed with the manner of that Thurles win.

Aran Concerto
Barker
In Compliance
Joncol
J'y Vole

I think Aran Concerto and Barker are the two to fight it out but would not be surprised to see a big run from J'y Vole.

Joncol is completely over hyped imo and needs 3 miles.

Joncol is completely over hyped imo and needs 3 miles.

Bit surprised you view him that way, Gal.

He's beaten less than a couple of lengths over an inadequate 2m at Naas, trying to give 9lbs to the horse that has just hacked-up in the PPGC. His form is rock solid, imo, and 20f is definitely his trip. I think he is a good thing in the Durkan myself.

Neither did I so I cheated and looked.

Prices with Paddy Power:

Joncol 9/4
Barker 11/4
Aran Concerto 3/1
In Compliance 4/1
J'y Vole 12/1

I've seen Barker a bit shorter elsewhere, and Aran Concerto a bit bigger.

Get the hair dryer out Gal!

I had Joncol as a 7/2 shot in the Durkan. Poplar Chase form looks strong on paper, but it's very difficult to get a grip on that form given all of the principles that day were using it as a prep. Joncol may very well have improved significantly from last year (he'd want to have, as none of his novice form entitles him to be a 9/4 shot in this), but the Powers Gold Cup looks far more reliable form to my eye.

I find it hard to split Barker and Aran Concerto. The latter might just shade it due to a combination of conditions and possibly being the more forward of the pair but I really don't see much between them.

I'd say its pretty unlikely...horrible outside right now.

There will be a 7.30am precautionary course inspection at Punchestown ahead of racing on Sunday due to an adverse weather forecast.
The course is currently raceable, while the ground remains heavy following 12 millimetres of rain overnight.
The Irish Turf Club's press officer Cliff Noone said: 'They are raceable at the moment but they are expecting another 10 to 15 millimetres of rain through the day today.

'The ground is heavy after the rain last night, so we will just have to see how much more there is over the next 24 hours.'

I have back J'y Vole at the prices as she is not that far behind the leaders on ratings and she of course has her allowance. I think Barker will need this, Joncol is not good enough, In Compliance still has plenty to prove but I do think Aran Concerto is the most likely winner but at the prices the mare was tempting.

tricky race

Aran Concerto 149P
Barker 165p
In Compliance 153+(167)
Joncol 163P
JyVole 164++

Joncol the most likely winner but no bet for me at the prices

Good performance form Joncol - certainly looked like the further they went the further he'd win. Soft unseating for Barker though didn't seem to be travelling too well at the time.

Joncol ground them into submission on that ground - I would like to see it again but I thought he hung into Aran Concerto before that one made a mistake three out. He got very tired after that.

Was surprised to see them ride the mare with so much restraint.

Presume the winner goes for the Lexus next.

I am fairly certain Mullins knows his horses aren't really firing -Jy'vole didn't really appreciate being ridden with restraint.

Nolan said: "It was probably the first time we were 100% happy with him. He's on a different programme this year and different diet and it seems to have turned him inside out.
"He's a big horse and we were waiting for him to tell us when he's ready. We didn't want to run him over hurdles and have minded him. He's still only six and if he's OK after today we'll aim for the Lexus.
"His owners have been very patient as he's had a very stop-start career with ulcers but we hope that's all sorted now.
"You'd have to think he could be a Gold Cup horse after that. I just hope he's not a mudlark horse but I don't think he is."

Back