European Teams?

Still can't see beyond a South American winner. There's a reasonable chance that Germany can get to the semis before they play a South American team and I make them clear favourites to progress furthest of the Europeans.
The game has moved on from tipitap to actually doing something with the ball and I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain go out early even though the Netherlands team has plenty of question marks about it especially without Van der Vaart. Italy will keep possession well but I'm not sure that they have the quality up front especially if Balotelli doesn't fire. Belgium are full of talent but may be fragile temperamentally with so much expected of them. Could be they'll play Portugal in the last 16 and that will turn on Ronaldo's form. France have some excellent players but, again, their temperament is questionable. No surprise if Evra picks a fight with someone else in the squad. As Euro says, England's problem last time was pace. It was frightening how Germany poured forward with only Cole doing a passable imitation of keeping up with them. The current unit is probably quicker but Gerrard is an attacking midfielder playing deep rather than a natural defender.

England's defence looks **** hot. There are articulated lorries that turn quicker than Jagielka. Can't think of anything to compare how dozy Johnson is.

Despite it being a friendly, Spain are playing at a tempo I haven't seen them play in years, the Euro final aside.

Won't get out of the group.

They can but it depends on Hodgson making some big decisions before and during the games, will he take Rooney off when he starts dropping deep looking for the ball, will he start Sterling instead of Wellbeck, will he take a chance on Luke Shaw? For me England can get QFs IF Hodgson trusts the young pacey players.

I'm sure they'll just about get past knowing they've only got Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, Verratti and Motta to cover. I'd hate to have such cover in the England squad. Hate it!

They can but it depends on Hodgson making some big decisions before and during the games, will he take Rooney off when he starts dropping deep looking for the ball, will he start Sterling instead of Wellbeck, will he take a chance on Luke Shaw? For me England can get QFs IF Hodgson trusts the young pacey players.

In 86 we only clicked when Robson started Beardsley for Mark Hateley.

In 86 we only clicked when Robson started Beardsley for Mark Hateley.
Even more radical in 90 when he changed the defensive system and brought in Trevor Steven at right wing-back. I wouldn't mind seeing Milner in that role. Better than Johnson in most facets of the game.

Even more radical in 90 when he changed the defensive system and brought in Trevor Steven at right wing-back. I wouldn't mind seeing Milner in that role. Better than Johnson in most facets of the game.

This was touted in the press around 3 weeks ago that Wenger would go for Milner as a right back, not a midfielder.

Last edited:
Now very close I can only see Spain as the winners

Hold the ball in the hot conditions, pass the opposition silly, lots of quick games will favour them and their midfield will starve better opponents strikers.

Last edited:
Reus is arguably Germany's most dangerous player. He is a very big loss, even allowing for the deep cover they have in the position.

Hamm, this makes it more likely that they will start with Klose. Schurrle or Klose will get his slot if he doesn't recover.

Starting to warm to France as the dark horse, anyone think 11/10 to reach the quarters is free money?

Not free money but I think Benzema playing off/from the left of Giroud could be the making of him for France - he has struggled in the past for France as often drifts out of the centre forward position and is too deep. With Giroud acting as a pivot, it could work quite well (for all that Giroud is obviously not Ribery in terms of quality). A good chance - would rather be a backer than a layer.

Back