Exotic Dancer And Jonjo O'neill

Guest_

At the Start
Are the authorities going to investigate this? Horse taken out of the betting by Ladbrokes yesterday, trainer on the front page of the Racingpost today saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with the horse, he is in great form yet now there is a press release stating the problems he has had.

I seem to remember the BHB investigating Jim Bolger over the Teofilo incident.

DANCER DOUBTS FOR GOLD BID
By Thomas Deane and Keith Hamer, PA Sport
Exotic Dancer has suffered a minor setback, which has "raised some doubt about his participation" in the totesport Cheltenham Gold Cup.
However, connections of the eight-year-old, who chased home Kauto Star in last season's blue riband, are still hoping he could make the line-up on March 14.
In a statement, Barry Simpson, racing manager to owner Sir Robert Ogden, said: "I have spoken with Jonjo O'Neill following reports in Wednesday's newspapers.
"Exotic Dancer has been treated by a chiropractor regularly since he damaged a ligament in his back in January and has been under constant veterinary supervision. On a routine visit on Tuesday, it was found the horse was sore in his lumbar region.
"Exotic Dancer spent some time in the swimming pool late Tuesday evening and Jonjo felt the horse was much more comfortable afterwards and he reiterates the horse is sound (on Wednesday morning).
"Exotic Dancer will continue in swimming exercise and will be closely monitored over the next 48 hours."
Simpson went on to express his disappointment after Exotic Dancer worked well at home over the weekend.
The statement continued: "The horse is at a crucial stage in his preparation for the Cheltenham Gold Cup and although this is a minor setback, the timing of this could not be worse.
"With now only 15 days to the Gold Cup, any work missed is critical and this now raises some doubt about his participation.
"This has come as a hammer blow as it was only last Saturday Jonjo reported to me the horse had worked exceptionally well on Wednesday morning.
"I have discussed this with Sir Robert, who is currently away in the Far East, and as you would imagine he was extremely disappointed to receive the news.
"However, he always takes a view that the welfare of his horses is paramount.
"We are currently discussing the situation with Sir Robert's veterinary advisors and every possible treatment will be explored to have the horse ready in time for his race."

I had read a thing on the Sporting Life only a few minutes ago (now removed) about how Jonjo was "non-plussed" by the news he had drifted in the betting and had worked exceptionally that morning. Maybe he's an exceptional swimmer.

its poor stuff and punters will only draw the conclusion that Jonjo is all over the place (if they havent already)

A disgrace for the trainer involved and interesting to note that barry simpson rang the trainer "following the reports in the newspagers". I always thoughts its only the small owners who know last but good to learn that the big ones are in no better position.

Shame on them all how the situation has been "officially" handled so far - either o´Neill really has not clue which would be just as bad - or it must have been the vet laying him on Betfair ????

Originally posted by Melendez@Feb 27 2008, 10:21 AM
I had read a thing on the Sporting Life only a few minutes ago (now removed) about how Jonjo was "non-plussed" by the news he had drifted in the betting and had worked exceptionally that morning. Maybe he's an exceptional swimmer.
:D :D

back or free-style ????

The Racing Post headline states O’Neill was “mystified” that the horse was taken out of the betting.

I don’t understand the secrecy. For a flat operation they can do it to protect their future stallion careers which is not an excuse but at least their motives are understandable. I don’t see it is the same over jumps…I would imagine the owners were fully aware of this for some time. This was always going to come out so why on earth make yourself look like a fool or a lier when there is nothing in it for yourself.

it just adds to the general impression I get that Jonjo has no idea what is going on in his yard :eek:

Jonjo has never thought that he owes anything to the racing public (which of course he doesn't). His first loyalties are to his owners. Nevertheless this is extremely frustrating especially for the punter. I'd much rather a "no comment" that an attempt to disguise the truth (which I cannot forgive). He is not the only trainer to do this, but he is certainly one whose comments I take with a large pinch of salt.

Indeed Steve, and it’s typical that the Racingpost don’t question a thing in today’s paper. It will be interesting to see if there are any comments or emails sent into them that are actually published.

Jonjo has never thought that he owes anything to the racing public (which of course he doesn't). His first loyalties are to his owners

Racing's biggest customers are, and economic input is from...the punters

To treat them with contempt is illiterate and short sighted

But I don’t see how it’s being dis-loyal to the owners. The only reason for not announcing an injury to a jumping animal would be a) they didn’t know the what was the problem-not the case here b) the couldn’t be arsed to announce it – again not the case here because they came out with two statements the next day c) they wanted to lay it . Clearly they knew about it already and they were happy to give an interview (a contrary one) within a few hours of it being published in the Racing Post.

It's been suggested on TRF [perhaps by someone close to the yard] that all this came about because JO'N hadn't spoken to the owner or his representative, and had to brief them and clear any statement first. Ogden has a reputations for being 'difficult' esp about the press [eg the ONLY photo of him on the RP image database has a big sticky on it saying you have clear permission with his representative before publication!]

But if something was on the Post website already and Simpson had to ring JO'N after reading it, that makes nonsense of the excuse - Jonjo could and should have kept the owner and his agent informed all along.

The whole thing has been appallingly handled and leaves a very sour taste. Personally as I've said on here more than once I haven't liked what I've seen on ED this year esp his lack of runs, and consequently haven't backed him even in 'w/o top 2' market. But I'd be mad as hell if I had. And I certainly never take anything JO'N says about his horses at face value

I know quite a few, from the 30/40 I know personally, and I get really tired of that kind of attitude.
Knowing how to use the handicap rules doesn't make a trainer dishonest.

The trainers I know who don't bet and who don't run 'betting yards' don't even go that far, they just run the horses on their merits. There are a lot of these trainers, and I don't see why a few fly or even bent trainers should tar all the rest

I get fed up with people on these forums who think that total cynicism is proof of worldliness and experience

Opposite is true

Headstrong,Can I have the names of the honest ones please. I'm not refering to trainers who prepare horses to win handicaps. I would like to know who you would trust to buy a horse for you at the Sales, break it and train it and that all times you are happy that the trainer is giving you an honest evaluation and you don't feel like they're leaving anything out.

I will pm you with some names, but can you first pm me and tell me where your live/ would like a horse in training; and which code interests you

I would imagine most owners trust the trainers they have their horse with, or they would move them elsewhere. It's a bit of an expensive toy to leave in the hands of someone you think is a bit iffy. I would imagine the trustworthiness of a trainer amongst owners is his/her most important asset, possibly even ahead of getting results.

Exotic Dancer won't have a chance to win the Gold Cup anyway. I don't even think he will be placed. With or without full preparation. Punters who have backed him can say "adios" to their money.

He would have a clear place chance IMO and possibilities of winning it if things fell right.

Problem is he is not a horse that appears to go very well fresh. Needs plenty of racing.

Headstrong, I don't think he's actually interested in having a horse with an "honest trainer", he's being chippy and trying to prove a point that isn't there.

Of course there are bent trainers but there are plenty of trustworthy ones as well. You want names? You can have Henrietta Knight and Ray York for free - and don't even start to try to suggest that they are not honest.

Shadow leader bottle the nonsense please ,as regards the second part of your post, can you tell me more about Ray York.

Headstrong and I understand each other better now after corresponding

"Bottle the nonsense"? What sort of response did you think you'd get with your posts so far? Maybe you'd have been better off to heed your own advice before posting in the first place when you seemingly accused all trainers of being bent!

Ray York is a small trainer in Surrey. He is straightforward and honest - what you see is what you get. Oh, and he can train too!

Apparently Irish and English trainers for the most part are very different .
If any of the Irish posters have a differing opinion I would be interested to hear it.

Back