Farage.

Everyone knows there is a widespread disaffection with political elites. But it is not confined to Europe and its causes are not exclusively European ones.

It's as much to do with reducing trade barriers as anything else, which is something you are presumably in favour of. There has also been the huge instability of the banking and financial services sector and the growing divide not just between rich and poor but between the super rich and everyone else. The objections are to globalisation in general, and that is the difference between continental eurosceptics and the UK ones, who mostly continue to be in favour of free trade.

Regarding Robert Peston's article, it seems mostly fair. Nobody should think the euro is safe yet, it's true. But I think the role played by Germany has been unfairly demonised. They have made Member States realise that there has to be common accountability if there is to be a solid basis for managing the euro and by degrees that basis is being created.

UKIP so so impact in Newark against what was clearly a very bad tory candidate (whos picks these people???)

And thats how it will be.

Seems like people enjoy sticking the knife in to a wounded animal, I'm guessing the rise in anti-European sentiment has grown considerably since the economic/global recession. Some people like myself, Clivex and whoever else were arguing that the institution was going down the wrong path many years ago.

Last edited:
I would say it's grown more since the failure of the euro and the creeping arrogant undemocratic "imtegration"

Thankfully across Europe the trend is moving against the eu and maybe at last they will realise that it's survival depends on streamlining of powers not expansion

For certain, there has been a definite trend across the populace of Europe against the direction set by the bureacrats.
What I don't understand is this: why are the mainstream parties across the Union not adjusting their position to reflect the views of the voters? By not doing so, they are handing the initiative to the extreme Left and extreme Right outfits who are gathering strong support at the polling booths.
Are the middle-ground politicians and leaders so blind to how this could eventually play out; or are they so snugly in bed with the Brussels machine themselves that they cannot separate from it?

Absolutely spot on

My reckoning is that many many more voters are in line with the anti federalisation views but could never bring themselves to vote for th extreme parties

In fact you could argue that it is more in line with a centrist or libertarian right , neither of who, could vote for facists or solialists, view of politics to be against undemocratic arrogant bureaucracy

But the main parties will soon take a lead from this because they will have to and then genuine progress can be made

Back