Favourite/ least favourite courses

Desijo

Amateur Rider
Does anyone have courses that they do well at and others where you struggle to find winners.
I normally do well at my local track Uttoxeter.
Aintree, Cheltenham, the old fibresand track at Southwell and Chepstow are tracks i normally do ok at.
My bogey courses are Newmarket, York and Windsor.
I Find picking winners at Windsor almost impossible.
There is no scientific reason for any of this, but i wondered if anyone else has similar Lucky/bogey courses.
Any comments appreciated.

Favourites Cartmel, Cheltenham, Ponte Carlo. I used to love going to Ripon too
Least fav Kempton AW

Last edited:
My favourite track for watching and punting is Sandown. For sheer beauty and value for money, you cant beat Hexham.

I have to agree with yorick. I just cant get away with Ludlow and i'm not particularly fussed on Plumpton.

Beverley is my favourite out of sentimentality - first track I ever visited and I know every blade of grass as I used to run 2m round there every Sunday morning, starting at the 5f gate.

Least favourite, controversially, is Cheltenham.

Stands set too far back from the run in, also no obstacle in front of the stands, just a 1m4f circuit yet they get so far away out in the country, cba with it.

Newmarket is a lousy viewing track too, can't stand the July Course but do quite like the Rowley Mile, again for sentimental reasons, as I hitchhiked there in 1982 from Warwick uni for the Guineas meeting.

Beverley is my favourite out of sentimentality - first track I ever visited and I know every blade of grass as I used to run 2m round there every Sunday morning, starting at the 5f gate.

Least favourite, controversially, is Cheltenham.

Stands set too far back from the run in, also no obstacle in front of the stands, just a 1m4f circuit yet they get so far away out in the country, cba with it.

Newmarket is a lousy viewing track too, can't stand the July Course but do quite like the Rowley Mile, again for sentimental reasons, as I hitchhiked there in 1982 from Warwick uni for the Guineas meeting.
Went to Beverley for the first time on my 50th birthday, loved it. (Was treated to my first visit to Cartmel for my 65th).

I quite liked Ludlow - it used to be about the only lad’s canteen that had lemon meringue pie 😁

Stratford is a favourite of mine, despite losing my horse there. And going to cheltenham feels very much like going home. Flat racing wise I quite liked York and I agree with the Sandown vote above too. Caulfield will always be special as well. :love:

I like watching racing from Sedgefield and Perth but really struggle when in comes to finding winners there.
Doncaster is a nightmare way too many bad horses run there.

Spent years going to them and others like Hexam, Kelso, Market Rasen, Carlisle, Newcastle etc

Down south I like Sandown and Cheltenham not so keen on watching Ascot on TV is has no character

Fav is Kempton I like to follow Nicky Henderson and usually come out on top

Market Rasen's a nice track,set in beautiful countryside,all round viiew, dining's good and reasonably priced,and it never gets too crowded for comfort.

I really liked market rasen when I went there ( been there twice) but being a soft southerner it’s just too far for my liking. My old nearest course was Salisbury which I wasn’t really a fan of at all - you just can’t see much and I find it a bit soulless really.

I saw him around, but never spoke to him.

A school friend who I got into racing went on to work for him, actually.

Bill used to invite him round his house to play snooker - he said Bull was alright.

He said aren't you the Apprentice that goes on Talking Horses'... I sad APPRENTICE, that's a travesty, I should be champion jockey.... He agreed.

I recall he always seemed to have a cigar hanging out of his mouth at an angle and his copious beard seemed stained in that area as a consequence.

I also remember some of his rules for life: "the clock can't lie," "don't feed the troll" and "never trust a man who eats sausage in front of sausage dogs" in particular.

Don't know what he did but I would guess he was putting on for trainers...Nothing to do with that stupid Timeform... I know what Alex Bird did.

Last edited:
Alex Bird. Him of photo finish fame. Friend of my father’s and took me racing with them a few times. His advice to me was never bet in handicaps except the Grand National (when the fences ruled), believe what you see and don’t listen to tips.

Alex Bird. Him of photo finish fame. Friend of my father’s and took me racing with them a few times. His advice to me was never bet in handicaps except the Grand National (when the fences ruled), believe what you see and don’t listen to tips.
Two bits of advice everyone should adhere to.

Believe what you see - NOT what you hear.

Dont ever listen to tips !!!!!

Dermot Weld spoke to me at Naas yesterday. It was very warm, so I replied to him.

We spoke of the fine occasion it was, with Naas allowing free admission on one of their biggest flat days of the year. All that remained, he said, was for him to win the next race.

Alas that did not happen. 11/8 favourite Tarawa came into the parade ring looking nervy and Chris Hayes had an awkward journey to post with her.

The one that impressed me most yesterday was Fairy Godmother, but I’m hardly being original in saying that.

Favourite is probably Haydock's county enclosure, you get a seat and very close to the racing

I was a member at Dunstall park one year, racing isn't high grade but it's clean and the raceviewing is as good as anywhere

Least favourite is Kempton, wasn't impressed with it at all

As for betting, Ascot is probably where i have my highest strike rate, i avoid Windsor and Brighton like the plague

Favourite is probably Haydock's county enclosure, you get a seat and very close to the racing

I was a member at Dunstall park one year, racing isn't high grade but it's clean and the raceviewing is as good as anywhere

Least favourite is Kempton, wasn't impressed with it at all

As for betting, Ascot is probably where i have my highest strike rate, i avoid Windsor and Brighton like the plague
Windsor is my least favourite track for picking winners.
I rarely bet there these days.

I, conversely, love what I consider the more quirky Flat tracks - Brighton, Bath and Salisbury are particular favourites of mine and you can add Windsor, Epsom Downs and Goodwood too.

I am certain I would have been a devotee of Alexandra Park back in the day and I've walked the outline of the track that still exists to this day on past trips up to London.

Back