Female Jockeys

• Thread starter Thread starter ItalianStallion
  • Start date Start date
Shadow Leader can I ask a question?

Whilst running during the race why do some horses find it hard to control their lip? as I watch the t.v I can see some keep opening their mouths as they are galloping, is this because they are hitting the ground too hard?

Ha ha Warbler!

Often when a horse is very relaxed, or dozing, their bottom lip droops - some horses lips also droop when being ridden, it's just a habit really. We've a filly whose lip is constantly flipping up and down when she's ridden, it's pretty much a habit and doesn't affect them. It is funny to watch this filly though!

The later you mention I feel would count as seperate movements and not gaits. However these still form an outline even if momentary.

Absolutely, Trudi. Methinks people are using phrases that they don't know the meaning of...try googling a bit harder!

Do me a favour, Toobe. You are displaying complete ignorance of the most basic of equine terms; don't try and pretend you have any equestrian background, you clearly don't.

Bit harsh, Shadow! I thought Toobe might be an instructor, or the like. Mine always used to go on about outlines (for horse and rider) - but couldn't accept that someone with a slightly deformed spine wouldn't be the prettiest on horseback.

(Lousy seat and appalling outline over a jump but I could sit any kind of buck the sod cared to chuck in!)

SL you still haven't answered my query as to the action of the hollow loose ring snaffle and it's purpose. Maybe you could google to find out what the equipment you use actually does.

And maybe you could do this for yourself. SL's already told you why she uses one and, if you do what you say you do, you'd already know what the action and purpose of a snaffle is.

No shit, Sherlock! :lol: Since different disciplines involve requiring completely different things from the horse, it pretty much follows that the types of equipment used are not likely to be the same in all disciplines. For example pretty much the last thing you want on a racehorse is a gag yet you own't see a polo pony in anything else. In a similar fashion pelhams, kimblewicks, double bridles and the likes with a curb action are also not wanted on racehorses but you often don't see many showjumpers or dressage horses without one of the above - or a gag - in their mouth.

Incidentally dexter ring bits were originally used for steering purposes more to keep horses straight if they had a tendency to hang or lean, were difficult to steer or used on unpredictable types for similar reasons. Nowadays they tend to be used for pullers more than anything else. The only two horses I've had dealings with who were ridden in ring bits had them as the first one could hang and was strong as well; the second one had a very bad habit of charging off the side of the gallops or whipping around whilst cantering.

We used to ride and run Aramram in a Dexter. He was never keen, but he hung like a gate and had a tendency to just shoot off in any direction when he felt like it, regularly leaving his rider sat on his arse on the floor. We used them at Channon's very rarely unless something hung really badly. I personally can't see the point in putting one on something which is just keen. I would prefer to see that with a cross noseband, they help pullers. We used to have one horse who had completely no mouth. The general consensus was he had been curried, but he had to go out in a Hackamore.

Ha ha Warbler!

Often when a horse is very relaxed, or dozing, their bottom lip droops - some horses lips also droop when being ridden, it's just a habit really. We've a filly whose lip is constantly flipping up and down when she's ridden, it's pretty much a habit and doesn't affect them. It is funny to watch this filly though!

It can also be because the horse is "out" in it's poll, usually caused I believe by going in an incorrect outline consistiently.

ah yes - "out in the poll" that standard Chiro answer when theres nothing wrong with a horse but they want to justify the money they are about to charge the customer - along with "pelvis is a bit out".... (spot the cynical vn!)Just to throw things completely back to bitting - I have just bought my new horse two french link snaffles - one eggbut, and a fatter mouthpieced hollow loose ring. She can go in whichever she is happier in - and having had a horse that couldnt cope with the nutcracker action of a bog standard snaffle, I will never use a bit with a single joint again. People dont realise how harsh they can be - I certainally hadnt even considered that it was the bit causing the trouble with Po - but his mouth and his head shape wasnt big enough for how the nutcracker action works,and it was digging into him. it was a thin straight bar(mullen mouth) snaffle that turned him into something approaching controllable.Before we changed to the (incidentally,kindest bit you can get!) straight bar he ran in a dexter and a grackle noseband (though we used grackles on all our horses except Milligan,cos he couldnt cope with one) and still hung like a bastard - along with every other display he could think of. He now is ridden in a myler combination snaffle - which doesnt have a nutcracker action - and I wish id tried that when he was in real work.(though Ben now has some brakes, but little steering when they go cross country!!)Different people are always goign to have different ideas about what you should and shouldnt do with bits and riders.Im from the school that thinks its not the bit - its the body on the ends of the reins that makes the most difference - ANY bit - even the so called gentle bits can mark and cut a horse if its used harshly.and for a normal riding point of view, Id rather see a horse in a pelham (for example) not being hauled around and not leaning, than someone make out that their horse is a snaffle mouth when they need to pull and yank at it all the time.Big racing yards simply dont have the time or inclanation to work out each horses likes and dislikes - and they are silly (imo) becuase they could save themselves a lot of bother and get a lot better reaction from their horses if they just ahd a bit of thought. Yards with people like SL in are far and away the better horsemanshipped (is that a word??!!) because to have staff (and owners) who care enough to think about what horses need is a rare thing.

Last edited:
Back