Female Jockeys

• Thread starter Thread starter ItalianStallion
  • Start date Start date
Hayley is a very good jockey regardless of her sex . The rides she is getting and from the spread of trainers show how good . I am delighted she has the ride on Art Connoisseur .Milczarek is good though she ballsed up on Shamandar last week - Gannon is good too - Amy Scott is improving rapidly .

Hayley is a very good jockey regardless of her sex . The rides she is getting and from the spread of trainers show how good . I am delighted she has the ride on Art Connoisseur .Milczarek is good though she ballsed up on Shamandar last week - Gannon is good too - Amy Scott is improving rapidly .

Will pass that on.

Meant to say there's an interview with Hayley Turner in this month's Horse magazine. I only flicked through it in the shop, probably not too in depth knowing their usual stuff but good to see some racing coverage in a more general equestrian magazine.

I liked the fact Hayley won the first and the last on friday both races with "king kieren" in. Excellentee! In the first he was on a horse she had turned down for her gov'ners ride and in the last won on a horse for the trainer who had been turned down!!! You couldn't make it up!!!!!

Kelly Harrison and Amy Ryan are both improving rapidly too and getting decent opportunities. Sohpie Doyle did really well in Dubai and Abu Dhabi last winter, but she's struggled for rides since she got back esp as her mother isn't training right now. She's attached to the Moore yard and has had a few winners for them.

Hayley for one is adamant she wants to be judged against the men, not in some female ghetto. It's going to be impossible though for the girls to compete for championships until the big Arab-financed yards start to use them. But things have really been changing fast in the last couple of seasons and the girls are riding for many more yards, and geting more rides - Cathy Gannon's progress this season shows what extra opportunities can do for them.

She had a winning ride in the first aboard KALEO for Simon Dow, and as you say, one aboard MUTAWARATH (Marju - Castlerahan) - he didn't look the most obliging of conveyances, and clearly didn't like trying to go on between the rails and those who overtook him. My friends and I (they are keen racegoers and ex-owners) felt he was pretty ungenuine or yellow-hearted. He didn't want to help himself to victory, in spite of some stern efforts from Hayley.

However, all was well in the 4.55 when she piloted FEATHERED CROWN (Indian Ridge - Attractive Crown) to victory for HE Sheikh Sultan bin Khalifa al-Nahyan, trained by Henry Cecil. The horse's previous runs were 62, so the '1' to get it a nice handicap rating will be very welcome.

Useless nags in that contest were Sheikh Hamdan's DUBAI CREEK (Cape Cross) (290,000 gns), under Jim Crowley, and stone last from tardy start to finish UNCLE KEEF (Sadler's Wells) @ 100,000 gns under Richard Mullen for Mr. R. Evans, both having debuts. I suspect that 'Keef' will lose his colt status by next time out!

There is no doubt that Hayley is being used by top owners now, and as she gains more wins for them, I'm sure she'll be building on that, and no longer has to work herself to bits on mediocre animals just to prove she's as 'good as the boys'. I hope that bit of nonsense can be firmly put to bed.

Last edited:
Back