Festival Preview Evenings 2018

Main points from Gordon Elliott at a preview in Leixlip.
Shattered Love could end up in a weak HOT
He wanted to run Dounikos in the 4 miler but the owners wanted to run in the RSA.
Jamie Codd booked to ride jury duty but might save him for the Irish national if Dounikos shows up here. [HNC]
Felix desjy will run in the bumper.
Davey R will ride the de plotting shed in the novice chase
Donagh meyler is qualified to ride in the Martin pipe and will ride one of his. Mentioned flawless escape, blow by blow/Dortmund park depending on weights.
J Codd will ride squouateur in the kim muir if he gets in.

Any positive mentions for Cracking Smart, bob?

Main points from Gordon Elliott at a preview in Leixlip.

He wanted to run Dounikos in the 4 miler but the owners wanted to run in the RSA.

I'm holding a hefty docket on Dounikos for the 4 Miler with no NRNB concession, so this is worrying.
Was Elliot saying he'd already lost this Argument on Dounikos with the O'Leary sisters, or was it still an ongoing debate/discussion?

I'm holding a hefty docket on Dounikos for the 4 Miler with no NRNB concession, so this is worrying.
Was Elliot saying he'd already lost this Argument on Dounikos with the O'Leary sisters, or was it still an ongoing debate/discussion?

I'm holding one of those dockets myself.
Ongoing discussion. Elliott actually said he doesn't do much at home and is slow as a boat when asked about the prices he was allowed to go off at gowran and Limerick.

Last edited:
Just clicked on to this and a guy said

First question Nicky,why cant you get £5 on a 5/1 poke with those scumbags(unibet)
Made me chuckle that.

Timeform's Cheltenham Festival 2018 Preview Night hosted by Jamie Lynch will be available to watch live on our Facebook page tonight.

Fancy watching Jamie Lynch (@LynchyTF) and friends find lots of Cheltenham Festival winners, but can't make it to Manchester? Fear not, as we are streaming the whole event on Facebook on Tuesday! All you have to do is head over to our Facebook page, and the stream will be live on the night from 7pm.

https://www.facebook.com/timeform1948

@fb.com/timeform1948

There is a reference to an un-named Charles Byrnes horse for a handicap at Cheltenham, at the end of the Cork City preview.

Don't bother going looking for it. I've been through the handicap entries twice, and can't find any entry from C. Byrnes, which is a shame.

There is a reference to an un-named Charles Byrnes horse for a handicap at Cheltenham, at the end of the Cork City preview.

Don't bother going looking for it. I've been through the handicap entries twice, and can't find any entry from C. Byrnes, which is a shame.

Isn't Hareth in the Pertemps?

The Byrnes horse is Mastermind in the Fred Winter. I backed it just in case last week, but it doesn't fit the profile.

The Timeform preview was very disappointing last night.

Generally, preview nights spend far too much time talking about the Graded races - where the form is there for all to see - and spend no time at all talking about the handicaps, which are the most inscrutable races of the week, and where you’re looking for the most insightful commentary.

Of those I’ve seen, Timeform’s David Cleary has been the best contributor by some way - though he reminds me rather too much of Clement Freud, and I half-expect him to make a boost for Mince-Morsels, after each race has been discussed.

By far and away the worst ‘pundit’ I’ve seen is Paul Kealy of the Racing Post; a self-satisfied, pompous arse, whose flawed-reasoning for/against horses, have him right-up there pitching for Winstanley’s crown as Most-Pointless-Preview-Guest-Ever.

The Final Furlong one better be good tonight.

Last edited:
I haven't done any of the previews, think they just muddy the waters!!
Be the first time I can remember not attending the Cheltenham one this Sunday.

wouldn't be convinced the final furlong one will be all that, the podcast has gone a bit downhill for me with the constant in jokes/banter which i'm sure will make an appearance tonight.

if they binned off kennedy and just had blake, keenan and rory d (who i could listen to talk racing all day) on weekly i'd still be an avid listener but at the moment i can take it or leave it.

Back