Films

Yes but RD Jr DOES get his kit off (well strategically placed prop while on bed) - pretty well toned for someone of his age and wayward lifestyle though! And basically thats all that matters! I would imagine there is a sequel in the making after this one.

Yes but RD Jr DOES get his kit off (well strategically placed prop while on bed) - pretty well toned for someone of his age and wayward lifestyle though! And basically thats all that matters! I would imagine there is a sequel in the making after this one.

"Ah, splendid, Watson. I knew that souvenir of the Eiffel Tower would come in useful one day..."

I watched Inglourious Basterds last night. I'd waited this long, as I'd never really been that bothered about it and had pretty low expectations. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. It has some genuine laugh out loud funny moments in it, a great script and if there has been a better acting performance than Christopher Waltz in the last year then I haven't seen it.

The supporting cast (Pitt, Bruhl, Fassbender, Kruger and Laurent) were all excellent too, with the exception of the dreadful Eli Roth who at least met expectations.

For those that have seen it, the first time Pitt replies to Waltz in Italian - as the man in the plan with the first best Italian - I found that hilarious.

Tarantino had all of his trademarks in there, most of which were good, and I reckon that it is pretty impressive for an English speaking director to make a film that is 70% non-English language and still retain nuanced humour.

I liked it.

Last edited:
DO - that's one of your best funnies for a long time!

Bets - okay, I have to ask: what's with the title's appalling spelling?

If Tarantino was to tell you, he'd have to kill you...

I honestly don't know. As far as I'm aware he has declined to explain it.

It's probably down to an illiterate making out the registration form to the US Film Board, then. Like horses with names like BIG BUCK'S... !

The Road has to be seen. Bleak but engrossing and final 10 minutes are beautifully portrayed..and very moving

Based on Cormac Macarthys novel on a father and son surviving (just) in a post apocolyptal landscape. Sort of theme i would usually avoid like the plague...

They are travelling and encounter...well..wont say more...but its not nice

Theme is strong on father son relationship as well as how we would react to such surroundings

its superb

I just watched Goodfellas and played "spot the Soprano's cast". I got fifteen. According to Wikipedia there was twenty-seven!

Watched the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen tonight for the first time.

The up side is that I'll know I won't ever have to watch it again.

Utter abominable sh*te.

Many thanks, clivex. Not sure I want to see any more apocalyptic films, but it sounds as if this is saved from the now banal by the relationship theme.

Watched Analyze This last night for the first time.

It lost its focus a wee bit, I thought, in the last half-hour or so but apart from that is a very clever comedy. I really enjoyed it.

De Niro is a natural comic actor.

Whereas Billy Crystal is an annoying arse-piece.

De Niro has a great gift for comedy - best evidenced by his turn in Midnight Run alongside Charles Grodin. One of his best movies, imo.

Have watched some really good stuff lately.

Paris (Klapisch) - really fantastic - great performances from all.
Dans Paris
Code Unknown (Haneke - a bit too much under the influence of Godard I thought)

Have saved Lemming for either tonight or tomorrow. Should be good.

I liked Dans Paris. Great pairing.

I didn't think that Paris quite worked though - and I'm a Klapisch fan.

De Niro - 'a great gift for comedy'? Now that really is funny! All the man does now is gurn and turn in lazy performances, as in "Meet the Fockers", which, when you start with a title that's broader than a barn door, you know ain't going to be this side of wit. He's monotonous, expressionless, and thinks that turning down one side of his mouth, which he's done from 'Taxi Driver' on, suggests irony/ruefulness/satire/amusement/toothache. It suggests, to me, an actor who's been resting on his laurels for more than 20 years. I think it's time De Niro was just resting, full stop.

I think De Niro is just having a laugh at himself in these films.

On a separate note I'm just about to watch Slumdog Millionaire for the first time (on C4 9pm) and hope it lives up to the hype. At least I've found the clips in advance more tempting than when it was picking up all the awards. Those did nothing to tempt me to the cinema to watch it.

Very pleasantly surprised.

I'm a sucker for a love story with a happy ending but this was very watchable film.

Will I buy the DVD? Probably not.

Saw Avatar last night. Awesome special effects.

I found the underlying message quite interesting. That it was/is mandatory to root for the American aggressors in films set in the past/present - Cowboys and Indians, Vietnam, Iraq etc. But it's ok to pull for the Aliens if it's set in the future.

I also watched Slumdog for the first time last night. I liked the way the questions on the quiz show all related neatly to incidents - some of them harrowing - in the hero's young life. The sneering condescension of the host was brilliant, too. Slumdog went from being a socially reviled chai wallah (tea boy) to hero - the shots from one-tv slums to well-fed modern, upper-caste families all watching, rapt, was superb. The younger players were, I believe, recruited direct from the slums and probably didn't need too much tutoring in scooting round them at speed.

I think Kevin McCloud (of 'Grand Designs') is off to India soon for the Beeb, and the same - or at least similar - child scavengers of the rubbish tips will feature at some point, along with the beauty of India. It's a country where such broad social juxtapositions still exist among the most exquisite landscapes and architectural magnificence. Slumdog didn't, however, play too much on that theme - the disparity between high-caste Indians and those at the lowest end of the scale wasn't pushed much. It was, in the main, a feel-good film where boy does eventually get both riches and the girl.

I liked Dans Paris. Great pairing.

I didn't think that Paris quite worked though - and I'm a Klapisch fan.

Really? I thought it was great! Very much his usual ensemble piece, and thought it's a film you could watch again and again and see different things.

Back