Films

BM,
There is a Cedric Klapisch boxset (10 films in all) on amazon if that interests you?

Fopp have a ridiculously good sale on at the moment as well.

I think it was just that I wanted Romain Duris to snap out of it! I'll have to give it another go. Perhaps my expectations of a Klapisch/Duris/Binoche set piece were just too high.

I've got a few already, so not sure about the boxset. Cheers though. I was in Fopp a few weeks back, great place. Needless to say I never managed to leave empty-handed.

I re-watched The Sons Of Katie Elder today for the first time since I was about 13. It was my late father's favourite film (with the possible exception of The Quiet Man) and I enjoyed it immensely. Notable now for the appearance of a pre Easy Rider Dennis Hopper in a supporting role.

It's a film I watch fairly regularly and I also watched it today. It's a family favourite going back to the days before we had a telly and our parents took us all to 'the La' (our name for La Scala cinema in Clydebank) to see it because John Wayne was the man (The Quiet Man gets watched faithfully once a month in our house too) and we were all Dean Martin fans. It is an enjoyable film.

I think I'm right in thinking a young Dennis Hopper was also in Gunfight At The OK Corral, which was shown the other day.

I have several favourite westerns I watch regularly (in no particular order):
My Darling Clementine
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
and many more.

I think I'm right in thinking a young Dennis Hopper was also in Gunfight At The OK Corral, which was shown the other day.

He was indeed DO. Apparantly he's not too well and is on the way out; he's certainly made the most of his time though.

I like Westerns, although I'm not a John Wayne fan - too monosyllabic for my liking. I think SHANE was a stand-out, even if it regrettably gave rise to the name being given to every third boy child for a few decades. The final scene where the wee boy comes out to see Alan Ladd ride off is so poignant. "Shaaane!" Almost as tear-jerking as "Lassie! Come baaack!"

I like Westerns, although I'm not a John Wayne fan - too monosyllabic for my liking. I think SHANE was a stand-out, even if it regrettably gave rise to the name being given to every third boy child for a few decades. The final scene where the wee boy comes out to see Alan Ladd ride off is so poignant. "Shaaane!" Almost as tear-jerking as "Lassie! Come baaack!"

Isn't it ironic that the word that means one syllable should have so many syllables itself? :)

Shane is one of Mrs O's favourite films.

And she bought the Lassie DVD set not long ago. We watched Lassie Come Home not so long ago. That dog could fair act.

Is Lassie Come Home the one where she swims a river through a whirlpool? I saw it when I was about 7 years-old and howled all the way through the rest of the film.

I was disappointed later to find out that 'she' was played by a variety of dogs during the filming, including boys dyed to look like her!

My Darling Clementine is about to start on one of the Freeview channels.

If you haven't seen it before or haven't seen it for a long time, treat yourself.

I've finally watched Le Samourai

After months of trying to track it down on Region 2, I finally bit the bullet and forked out for the R1 Criterion. It's always difficult to be measured in assessment when expectations have been building for so long, but my first thought was that it never quite hit the heights of Bob Le Flambeur or Le Circle Rouge, whilst still being thoroughly excellent. I'm aware that that is not the widely-held opinion, so perhaps I need some time to reflect and some repeat viewings.

:lol::lol:

Well, there are a couple of others in with a squeak, but I suspect they're going to weaken badly later, resorting to last-ditch discussions of Luis Bunuel (in Catalan, of course).

The Prophet is engrossing and maintains a cracking pace for the near 3 hours. Typically French gritty crime/gangster stuff with strong plot lines

But whether its quite up to the enormous hype, not quite so sure. didnt find myself engaging with the characters as much as i would have wanted and it was a little po faced, without any of the dark humour you might expect

but a really fine film all the same

Going to see A Prophet in a few minutes. Expectations must not get the better of me...

The girlfriend knows she is going to the cinema, just not what she is seeing. It's a surprise! Next time I post, I may be single!

I've been watching Josh Ingman's witty take on the Indian resistance movement: Aloo Aloo. It was 8 hours long, so in between breaks, I ran through a borrowed copy of Pierre Glasse's Mots, d'Heures, Gousses, Rhames. Unfortunately, its subtitling wasn't very good, with much of the dialogue reduced to almost nursery level.

Back