Films

I saw Of Gods And Men and Somewhere at the cinema yesterday. I can't remember if they were any good.

Today, I shall be watching Bee Movie and then Wall-E, both on Beeb One. I think that after Cars, I've found my optimum enjoyment level. Bought Inception last night on FilmFlex. What a load of pretentious twaddle: a simple premise endlessly dressed, re-dressed, and over-dressed with CGI action sequences. I turned off by the time they were hurtling downhill pursued by an avalanche, and went over to Jools's Hootenanny, which was far more entertaining.

Giles and Alice made Mu and I watch Inception on Tuesday evening... Now, I normally love a good sci-fi but this was utter crap. Can't stand the lead actor either at any price, so took the better option and fell asleep... :lol:

I got carried away with Cheltenham and missed all but the plane-landing bit, and the cracking mosquito lawyer line of "I'm already a blood-sucking parasite, all I need is the briefcase"! I'll have to get it on DVD, I think. Wall-E is going well - I can't believe how subtle animations are now. Stunning scenery, but wonderful representations of mist, fog, etc. which look so real and add such atmosphere. Truly in awe of what's being done today. It's an awfully long way since the days of Felix the Cat!

Jools, thank God someone agrees re Inceptionzzzzz...

Last edited:
I loved the first half of Wall E at the cinema, but hated the second half. The girlie robot drove me mental.

You are so right! Tooooo cutesy-wootsy, and too much sugary sentiment creeping in for my taste. I was also amazed that there was some critical hostility to the film in the USA (gas-guzzling, Kyoto-bashing, materialist consumer that it is!) as 'left wing' propaganda about the state of the environment! Considering it's set around a thousand years from now, I'd imagine Earth's toxic ruin wouldn't be too far-fetched to contemplate. It was more likely outrage at the portrayal as Americans as slothful great blobs, rendered incapable of moving due to constant food and drink!

Last edited:
Godfather II on at the minute. Watched the original last night. Never get tired of them.

Oh hell; I've just checked out The Children of Green Knowe on Amazon and someone has written that the BBC wiped the tapes of the original so there will never be a dvd. Someone must have a video of it tucked away in a draw somewhere, surely? I bet they didn't keep The Box of Delights, either. As a penance they must remake them.

Is this what you're looking for moe?
http://www.foundthatfilm.co.uk/epag...133404/Products/"The Children of Green Knowe"

The Box of Delights is available somewhere too as a work colleague bought it a couple of years ago.

As an antidote to the 1950's nostalgiafest that has been my telly viewing of the last week; Toast, Morecombe and Wise etc.[ all of which I've loved] I got round to watching Splice last night. A modern day take on the Frankenstein story I can't say that I'd recommend it to anyone, but I'd love to hear peoples' opinion of it. Not a great success at the cinema and just out on dvd. Probably the creepiest film I've seen since Tideland [a film that I wouldn't wish on anyone] with bits of Eraserhead thrown in for good measure. Disturbing but very thought provoking.

Did anybody get to see " Secretariat " ? Apparently it came out in British cinemas on 4th Dec. & only lasted a week !!!!

That's a shame - I'm sure it probably went down better in the USA, where they would know it was about a racehorse and not a government office!

Man about Dog on RTE2 last night - exceptionally funny in parts!! Reminded me of my time in Belfast - ah god to be 25 again inthe Welly Park on a Saturday night!!

That's a shame - I'm sure it probably went down better in the USA, where they would know it was about a racehorse and not a government office!

Your probably dead right there Krizon,Although i dont think they marketed it very well. I didnt realise theyd made a film of him . until i got the reprinted book off the bairn at xmas.

Man about Dog on RTE2 last night - exceptionally funny in parts!! Reminded me of my time in Belfast - ah god to be 25 again inthe Welly Park on a Saturday night!!

The Welly Park heyday is before my time, but there are few things I wouldn't give to be rocking the boat in Renshaws on a Saturday night (or any night for that matter).

On a separate note, watched The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas last night. Apart from the horror that is part and parcel of sitting through any holocaust film it offered a very different, lighter perspective than most of the others I've seen. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Saw The Way Back last night at the cinema. an epic of the old school perhaps; I half expected to see Lawrence of Arabia and Omar Sharif [sp] at any moment. Bit disappointed to read afterwards that it wasn't quite the true story that I thought it to be, but I'll forgive it because it was hugely enjoyable...I so understood how they felt in Siberia having survived a winter in Derbyshire.....

A Serious Man: A seriously good film! Superbly shot and put together by the Coen brothers, with some great acting too. I wasn't blown away by No Country For Old Men, but this is right up there with some of their earlier stuff. Darkly comic, rather than laugh out loud funny, I'm not sure everyone will like the ending but I did. It seemed to sum up the film perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I loved No Country For Old Men, maybe that should have been the hint. Bruuuu'al. Two hours of my life wasted.

Tracks: I've been near to watching Boy in the Striped PJs, but I'm sure he must die in the end, and that's what has put me off. The Holocaust is dreadful enough to make me tearful, even reading about it, let alone seeing real or fictional film. Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List - stunning stories, but Sophie's just smacks you round the head with the sheer sadism behind the innocent-sounding title.

Last edited:
Back