First season sires 2012.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
As a little distraction from, what at this time of the year is, the 'obsession' that is Cheltenham. I thought I'd put up some of the stallions whose ''ickle babies' will be strutting their stuff on the racecourse for the first time.

NEW APPROACH 7-y-o son of Galileo won the 2008 Derby and is standing at the Dalham Hall Stud for a fee of £22,500.

DUKE OF MARMALADE (Danehill) standing at Coolmore at a fee of 20,000 euro.

HENRYTHE NAVIGATOR (Kingmambo) is at Ashford, U.S.A. for $25,000.

RAVEN'S PASS (Elusive Quality) winner of the Breeder's Cup Classic is at the Kildangan Stud for a fee of 22,500 euro.

ASTRONOMER ROYAL (Montjeu) French 2000 Guineas winner standing in France at a fee of 5,000 euro.

FALCO (Pivotal) another French 2000 Guineas winner is in France for a fee of 7,000 euro.

LITERATO (Kendor) winner of the 2007 Champion Stakes is standing in France at a fee of 4,000 euro.

MOUNT NELSON (Rock of Gibraltar) Eclipse winner in 2008 is at the Newsells Park Stud at a fee of £6,000.

SAKHEE'S SECRET (Sakhee) July Cup winner Whitsbury Manor Stud £5,500.

SIXTIE'S ICON (Galileo) winner of the St. Leger at the Norman Court Stud fee £4.500.

BIG BROWN (Boundary) winner of the Kentucky Derby and The Preakness standing at Three Chimneys, Kentucky at $35,000.

CURLIN (Smart Strike) U.S. Horse of the Year at Lane's End, USA at $40,000.

STREET BOSS (Street Cry) top A.W. sprinter in America standing in America at $15,000.

ASSERTIVE (Bold Edge) Throckmorton Court Stud £2.500.

CAPTAIN MARVELOUS (Invincible Spirit) in France for 2,500 euro.

HAATEF (Danzig) Derrinstown Stud 4,000 euro.

HANNOUMA (Anabaa) in France for 2,000 euro.

LINNGARI (Indian Ridge) in France for 5,000 euro.

PAPAL BULL (Montjeu) second in the 2008 King George is at the the Coolagown Stud for a fee of 5,000 euro.

RAMONTI (Martino Alonso) is in Italy fee 5,000 euro.

TAMAYUZ (Nayef) Derrinstown Stud 15,000 euro.

THOUSAND WORDS (Dansili) Rathasker Stud 4,000 euro.

That's as many as I have found so far, anyone with any more please add to thread.

Don't seem many that are likely to produce early sorts with only Assertive, Captain Marvelous?, Sakhee's Secret and the American-based Street Boss being sprinters.

I assume it is too early for a book to have been made on this, I have had a perfunctory look around and I couldn't see anything.

Right you can get back to Hurrican Fly, Sacre Sprinter and Kauto Star now.;)

Looks pretty open, I know Captain Marvellous and Haatef have small crops.
Duke Of Marmalade might be the one.

My cousin has bought a colt by Henrythenavigator (Ex Mythical Echo).

Henrythenavigator is on the hand (top 5) as one of my favourite horses of all time. Even if my cousin hadn't one of his offspring i'd be very interested in how his progeny progress. Bring on the flat season!!

Cheers, Hezz. Nice to have another horsey out with a forum connection, so we can all watch with extra interest. Best wishes to the little chap - and your cousin.

Cheers Krizon. He went a bit crazy and actually went and bought 3 others as well. By Sakhee's Secret, Moss Vale and Verglas. It will certainly be an interesting season. Bring it on!! :)

Cheers Krizon. He went a bit crazy and actually went and bought 3 others as well. By Sakhee's Secret, Moss Vale and Verglas. It will certainly be an interesting season. Bring it on!! :)

I really like the look of both the Henry and the Sakhee's Secret Hezz. Best of luck with all of them.

Kevin Prendergast had a filly from Duke Of Marmlade. Let's just say they were giving them away. Can't be a good sign.

Crikey, Hezz! Another racing dynasty is born! :lol: You can't go far wrong with a VERGLAS - as long as you don't mind grey - they come up tall and strongly made, very handy over hurdles, too.

Crikey, Hezz! Another racing dynasty is born! :lol: You can't go far wrong with a VERGLAS - as long as you don't mind grey - they come up tall and strongly made, very handy over hurdles, too.

Hope you are right about Verglas Kri - have a lovely 2 yo filly by him out cantering at the moment. She is a bit of a madam but is showing us all the right signals so far...

I really like the look of both the Henry and the Sakhee's Secret Hezz. Best of luck with all of them.

Cheers Barry. Fingers crossed they all get to the track first and foremost, then see from there! I'm down in the stables at the end of Feb, i'll have an update then and will post a few photo's.

Agree with you with the Henry and the Sakhee's Secret. The latter in particular. Looks some stamp of a horse!!

I got sent a stud card for Assertive a couple of weeks back - will be interesting to see what his do, nice horse - though Im sorted for the next two seasons, Im usually keeping my eyes open (and learning more and more each time with a lot of help from my friends !!!)

This lad's only small, tiny in fact. Looks like a little pocket rocket. His breeding wouldnt enthuse you, but sure we'll see how he gets on. At this stage optimism is the order of the day.

OTB - uh, well, hope I'm not tempting Fate by saying what I said! But to be honest, I've not seen a VERGLAS I haven't liked, and the trainers with his progeny I've spoken with say they like them, too. Constitutionally they seem to be sound, robust beasties. Best of luck to your young girlie - personally, I don't think there's much wrong with a bit of attitude, provided it isn't mulishness. Another one for the forum to admire in due course!

Hezz, he'll be a bit unusual if he stays small, but if he does, as long as his small size becomes a ball of strength and not weedy, he should inherit a sturdy constitution and a battling attitude, which should overcome the lack of inches. VERGLASes do seem to try to put themselves in a race, which is to be admired.

If either of them come up another GLASS HARMONIUM, you'll be well chuffed! Got good 2 y.o.'s as well as horses in either code, so chances for early success or a longer one.

I'm really looking forward to updates on all these new forum babbies!

PS: I decided to Google the name and see what popped up. Verglas is a thin coating or sheet of ice - lots of nice pix of it decorating banal things like park benches and shopping trolleys and turning them into ice sculptures, and it's also a good studio glass company. Ain't Google grand!

Last edited:
Verglas is just ice or black ice in French.

I got a chance to sit on a Henry in KY who was so laid back she was practically horizontal but had a lovely ground covering stride.

Cheers for the info on the Verglas breeding Krizon. Interesting to know. I can't wait to get down to the yard next month and seeing what progress all have made. The Verglas and Henry were both forward looking types when I seen them last, so i'd be hoping they could be out April/May time.

Verglas is just ice or black ice in French.

I got a chance to sit on a Henry in KY who was so laid back she was practically horizontal but had a lovely ground covering stride.

You lucky thing Miesque!!! Really hope Henry can become a very decent sire.

Miesque - remind me not to have you mix my drinks if you think I want chunks of verglas in my G&T. Back to mixology classes for you!

Verglas is the ice that forms in sheets on cold surfaces - what you'd slip or skate on.

If you want ice cubes in your drink, ask for glacons.

Back