First season sires and other 2-y-o stuff 2014

Colin Phillips

At the Start
The turf flat season gets under way at the Curragh this afternoon and the first on the card is for two-year-olds.

A first season sire, FAST COMPANY, is represented by Coto.

Fast Company only raced as a 2-y-o and achieved a best RPR of 124 and an OR of 120.

He won twice over seven furlongs but put up his best performance when second to New Approach in the Dewhurst; that was his third and last run and he was trained by Brian Meehan.

I have done some work on a full list of the first season sires that I hope to post up later today.

I have not been able to find any betting on this event so if some kind soul comes across any I would be grateful if they could post it here.

There's a few interesting ones this season - I'm intrigued to see how the Rips go, ours is big and raw currently while his Lord Shanakill work ate is a much earlier type. The Makfis we have are solid types and very mentally capable. Might be early ones. We've got a Paco Boy arriving also which will be an interesting one, they're seriously pushing him as an early site.

Good to see this back: thanks Colin. Certainly interested in seeing how Makfi turns out and, as Miesque says, a lot of breeders have put their money on Paco Boy.

Last edited:
I know he isn't a first season sire but am I correct in thinking that Yeats offspring were always touted as going to do better as 3yr olds rather than 2yr olds? they will be 3yr olds this season

I know he isn't a first season sire but am I correct in thinking that Yeats offspring were always touted as going to do better as 3yr olds rather than 2yr olds? they will be 3yr olds this season

As a rule I think they'll need longer than that.

Below is a list of first season sires, thanks to http://www.b2yor.co.uk/

The figures are the best RPR achieved, Official rating where given one, and the distances won over. The (2) after the distance shows where the horse never ran after its 2-y-o career.

I am still unable to find any betting on this.

ALEXANDROS………RPR 119……….OR 112…….DISTANCE..8-9 f.

ALFRED NOBEL……..RPR 112………OR 109…………………...6-7 (2)

APPROVE……………..RPR 112………OR 113…………………...5-6 (2)

ARABIAN GLEAM…...RPR 119………OR 108…………………...6-7

ARCANO………………RPR 116………OR 114…………………..6 (2)

BLAME………………...RPR 131………OR (-)……………………9-10

EQUIANO……………...RPR 123………OR 120…………………..5-6

FAST COMPANY……...RPR 124……....OR 120 ………………….7 (2)

GETAWAY………….....RPR 125………OR (-)……………………12-15

HELLVELYN…………..RPR 117………OR 100…………………..5-6

LE CADRE NOIR………RPR 110………OR 94…………………...5-6

LOOKIN AT LUCKY…..RPR 129………OR (-)……………………9-10

LOPE DE VEGA………..RPR 124………OR (-)……………………8-11

LORD SHANAKILL……RPR 119………OR 114…………………..7-8

MAKFI…………………..RPR 128………OR (-)……………………7-8

MAWATHEEQ………….RPR 122………OR 121………………….10-12

MULLIONMILEANHOUR RPR 114…….OR 107…………………..6

PACO BOY……………...RPR 127……….OR 124…………………..7-8

RIP VAN WINKLE……...RPR 132……….OR 126…………………..8-10

SHOWCASING………….RPR 115……….OR 108……………………6

STARSPANGLEDBANNER RPR 125……OR 109……………………6-8

STIMULATION………… RPR118………..OR 115……………………7-10

VALE OF YORK………...RPR 116……….OR 118……………………7-9 (2)

ZEBEDEE………………...RPR 108……….OR 107……………………5-6 (2)

I think Equiano cud get plenty winners his year. Maybe with sum nice sharp/early types! Though maybe more Quantity than Quality!

I'm interested in seeing how Hellvelyn does. A decent 2yo by a decent sire of 2yos out of a winning 2yo by an excellent sire of 2yos. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't get some nice early types.

Leading first-season sire by number of winners

RaceBets: 2 Rip Van Winkle, 3 Zebedee, 11-2 Paco Boy, 13-2 Equiano, 8 Makfi, 10 Arcano, 16 Fast Company, 20 Lope De Vega, 25 Lord Shanakill, 33 Approve, 33 Showcasing, 40 Vocalised, 66 Alfred Nobel, 66 Stimulation, 66 Vale Of York, 100 Siyouni, 200 Silver Frost, 250 Mawatheeq, 300 Hellvelyn

Win Only - Others on request

By prize-money

RaceBets: 2 Zebedee, 3 Rip Van Winkle, 6 Paco Boy, 7 Equiano, 9 Makfi, 12 Arcano, 12 Fast Company, 20 Approve, 20 Lord Shanakill, 25 Showcasing, 25 Lope De Vega, 40 Alfred Nobel, 50 Stimulation, 50 Vale Of York, 50 Vocalised, 100 Siyouni, 150 Silver Frost, 200 Hellvelyn, 250 Mawatheeq

Just to let you know .... That's the wrong way around, they mixed it up on the Racing Post, RVW is favourite by prize money, Zebedee is favourite by runners

Agree on Lord Shanakill. Would be interested in Fast Company as well on first glance but no idea how many he will have on the ground.

Two 2-y-o races today and first season sires well represented.

I don't intend listing all the runners this time around but will try to pick out what appear the more interesting ones.

ZEBEDEE (2), HELVELLYN (2), MAKFI, STIMULATION, APPROVE and FAST COMPANY have runners today.

HELVELLYN may be the first to get off the mark as his two runners in the Brocklesby look interesting.

Hoofithully is out of a dam who has produced three winners who all won during their 2-y-o career and Magic Florence is out of a dam whose only previous offspring to run was Hamza (RPR 113) who won on his racecourse debut.

Back