Flat Horses Of The Decade - RPR

The figure looks big in comparison with the rest of his form granted, but he was 5l clear of High Chaparral and Doyen on the day. I think it is a perfectly credible view to take but equally can see why you suggest it might be too high.

The ground was a disaster for the 3rd and 4th placed horses. I think the winner of the Arc will nearly always be given a certain rating regardless of merit, and even more so when he was such a big favourite as Dalakhani was.

Montjeus best performance was in 99, it was in another decade.

About the list
doesnt mean the best horses rated in order, just posting best individual performance by any horse in a single day.

The one I most missed in the list is Overdose, for me a 140 horse.

Montjeus best performance was in 99, it was in another decade.

True, but you would have thought they would have credited his KG win higher than 133, especially as Fantastic Light has the same mark.

Last edited:
RPR ratings are the greatest load of bo*****s I've ever encountered. Fantastic Light was beaten on the bridle by Montjeu. I take Suny's point that this is related to individual performances on a given day but they are just wrong on so many levels with related form as a judge. I think the Racing Post needed to fill some column inches. Can anyone actually tell me who Maduro (133) is? I keep getting the horse mixed up with Alan Munro, easy mistake to make I'm sure you will agree.

That Fantastic Light was not the same horse he was the next season.

They gave FL 133 for beating Kalinisi 2½ lengths in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes. But they rated Kalinisi 127 in that at level weights, so why was FL rated 6lb better? And is anyone seriously suggesting this was as impressive as Montjeu’s KG win?

Kalinisi was overratted in my book but all the colleteral form make Montjeu look like a monster.

Can anyone actually tell me who Maduro (133) is? I keep getting the horse mixed up with Alan Munro, easy mistake to make I'm sure you will agree.

Andre Fabre, Baron Von Ullman horse. Ran up a sequence a couple of years ago which includes the Prince Of Wales' Stakes and Prix Jacques le Marouis. He was one of the favourites for the Arc but was retired beforehand due to injury. A good, talented horse, but a 133 horse he ain't.

doesnt mean the best horses rated in order, just posting best individual performance by any horse in a single day.

Precisely and completely open to freakish or misplaced ratings because of that.

Wouldnt it be more instructive to take an average or mean over 3 best performances on the flat and say 5 over jumps and then rate the horses?

The problem with Zarkava is that although i am sure she is one of the very best ive ever seen, the formbook isnt quite so illuminating and perhaps the way she won races mitigates against her

Last edited:
Indeed it's hard for fillies to compete against the colts on ratings with their allowance stripped out (as it is for 3yos to compete against older horses with WFA stripped out). Nevertheless, a couple of good ones have missed the cut.

Indeed there is a case (not that I'd want to push it too hard) for saying that the likes of Youmzain (never one of my real favorites) and Conduit are better horses in absolute terms than STS.

Last edited:
The problem with Zarkava is that although i am sure she is one of the very best ive ever seen, the formbook isnt quite so illuminating and perhaps the way she won races mitigates against her

An absolute travesty. Best filly I have ever seen.

Manduro was very talented. But his reputation in the higher echelons of our sport, was propagated by the 'anyone but coolmore' brigade.

Back