Flat Horses Of The Decade - RPR

If there was one clash in the last decade that you would have liked to see - what would it have been? Id have crossed mountains in my bare feet to see Dubai Millenium V Montjeu.

Manduro's run in the Prince of Wales was top drawer.

To be perfectly honest my impression up until about twenty minutes ago was that Manduro's rating was dependent upon having Dylan Thomas running to his best in the Prince of Wales's (remember hearing from a fair few people that the horse looked an absolute wreck that day), but watching it back the ease with which he dispatched Notnowcato marks that form out as absolutely top drawer IMO - thoroughly deserving of a mark in the low 130's.

What a shame that he missed the Arc.

Edit: Anybody know what figure Timeform awarded Manduro for that performance?

Last edited:
If there was one clash in the last decade that you would have liked to see - what would it have been? Id have crossed mountains in my bare feet to see Dubai Millenium V Montjeu.

Yes that would have been a great match.

Some clashes I have enjoyed very very much were:

Pennekamp vs Celtic Swing in the Guineas.

Azertyuiop vs Moscow Flyer, especially in the Tingle Creek.

Denman vs Kauto in the first Gold Cup.

Baracouda vs Limestone Lad, even the later never near to his best at Cheltenham.

Generous vs Suave Dancer.

Montjeu and Sinndar in the Arc.

Indeed there is a case (not that I'd want to push it too hard) for saying that the likes of Youmzain (never one of my real favorites) and Conduit are better horses in absolute terms than STS

I think some people may require an explanation of "absolute terms here". Well i do anyway

To be perfectly honest my impression up until about twenty minutes ago was that Manduro's rating was dependent upon having Dylan Thomas running to his best in the Prince of Wales's (remember hearing from a fair few people that the horse looked an absolute wreck that day), but watching it back the ease with which he dispatched Notnowcato marks that form out as absolutely top drawer IMO - thoroughly deserving of a mark in the low 130's.

What a shame that he missed the Arc.

Edit: Anybody know what figure Timeform awarded Manduro for that performance?

TS,

I cant remember what Dylan Thomas looked like that day, but I do know he rather hung in behind Manduro which was unusual for him. Definitely nowhere near his best that day.

There were certainly a few people saying he dogged it that day alright, Hamm. The point I was making though is that, even if you take out the runner-up, the manner in which he beat Notnowcato in a truly run race is surely enough in itself to justify a rating in the low 130's.

Perhaps, but I don't take Notnowcato as the most reliable of animals. I take your point, and with ratings like this (and all I guess), it kind of comes down to preconceived notions of which horses ran their races and so on!

Certainly a very good horse, but I don't think he merits his place in this list at the position which he occupies.

That would have been very special.

Zarkava vs Sea the Stars over a stiff 10f
Zarkava vs New Approach

Back