Flat Stayers 2011

I wasn't sure whether to discuss Fame And Glory's Gold Cup prospects here or in the "library of horses to lay" thread. He lacks a turn of foot and needs a strong pace to be effective at middle distances but that's not the same thing as being a long-distance horse and I just can't see him getting home at Ascot. I'm surprised more firms aren't following Ladbrokes' lead by making Rite Of Passage favourite over FAG for the Gold Cup.

Hard to see Fame and Glory beat Rite of Passage at Royal Ascot.

I think 2 and 1/2 miles is too far for him.

If he was trained by any other trainer he would be running in races like the Coronation Cup etc. Because of the talent in the yard he has been pushed out to run in the longer races.

It all adds to what is goimg tn a fantastic Royal Ascot. I'd agree strongly that Rite of Passage will reverse form at Ascot.

I actually think Fame and Glory did okay. Again it's clear that he is not fully wound up but he did all he needed to do. Came to win his race very easily and was always holding everything after he took the lead... Sometimes I don't know what people expect to see. He also ran like a horse that wanted even further, so I'm amazed to see the sea-change in people voting on the RP site that he won't stay the Gold Cup trip. This race did much to confirm he will.

You should know from previous seasons that he's not asked to run to the mid/high 120s until he needs to.

Steve I have always felt that he would stay the Gold Cup trip, I just thought on Sunday that he should have put more daylight between him and the runner up.

Steve I have always felt that he would stay the Gold Cup trip, I just thought on Sunday that he should have put more daylight between him and the runner up.

It seemed to me though that if they had galloped on nothing that was behind him would have got any closer. I was happy with that. The objective was not to impress in a Listed race, but to see if he could step up in trip. I think they will be able to see that he can from that.

Given the beginning of this thread, you all know my initial thoughts on Fame And Glory and the Gold Cup. Hs performance is the Savile Beg was somewhat underwhelming. The one thing we should have in out favour with this horse, is his by far superior ability to the rest of the field. I'd like to have seen him go away from his rivals with a bit more comfort than he did. He's not been one known to idle previously, 2 of his wins last year gained by 7 and 5 lengths.

Timeform had him rated 130 going ito the Savile Beg but it's hard to be positive that he's still capable of that figure and by the time of the Gold Cup it will be over 12 mobths since he's run to it. He's been pulled down to 125 accordingly.

But before he won the Coronation Cup in impressive style last season he was no less underwhelming in his warm up races. He's merely limbering up in these sort of races. If you fancied him before I wouldn't worry about it now. The style and substance is still there for all to see.

Last edited:
When he was beaten on his debut last season he was asked to do less in the race than most horses do at home on the gallops, it was on soft to heavy ground and it was in mid April rather than late May.

Yes but they were preparing him for a May target last year in the Tatts Gold Cup followed by the Coronation Cup. This year his target is mid-June.

When 97 and 103 rated horses get amongst 124 and 118 rated horses, isn't it more likely to be a result of how the race was run (i.e. slowly) rather than any kind of realistic representation of the horses' relative merits?

Looking past the first 2 for a minute, does anyone give Duncan an each way chance at 12s? Not much between him and Fame and Glory last season, and he must have just as good a chance of staying. Over 4 times the price.

I see your point but he got the run of the race at York and for me is a less likely stayer than Fame, who won't stay anyway.

Hurricane Fly would walk this race.

I don't see why not. Really quite decent form over 12f, good enough win first time he was stepped up in the Yorkshire Cup (second came out and won the Henry II), half-brother won a Doncaster Cup over 2m2f...

Back