Forum Horse Connections

For those that follow these things, The King Of Ryhope will have his seasonal debut on Saturday all the way up at Kelso in a novice handicap chase that could end up being a decent little race.

The long range weather forecast is for a dry spell, so while it's not where we'd have envisaged starting, and a week or two earlier than planned, we can use the race to bring him on. It's also a really nice jumping track to get him started at. The alternative is we could potentially have to start a month later than intended, and straight into graded company without a run under his belt.

In terms of the outcome of the race, he'll ultimately be much the best horse entered, but will probably need the race, so he's no sure thing, and I'd advise watching rather then betting.

Paul, do you not mean Hexham, rather than Kelso?

Last edited:
The King Of Ryhope finally gets his first run of the season tomorrow at Chepstow.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/12/chepstow/2023-10-31/850755/

He starts off his novice chase career in open company. To do so clearly he has a very nice mark, but the trip is possibly a shade on the short side for him given we regard him as a stayer. His class may well be enough, but first time up I'll be happy whatever he does as long as he comes home safe, and we have that under his belt before we go down the graded novice chase route.

The King Of Ryhope finally gets his first run of the season tomorrow at Chepstow.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/12/chepstow/2023-10-31/850755/

He starts off his novice chase career in open company. To do so clearly he has a very nice mark, but the trip is possibly a shade on the short side for him given we regard him as a stayer. His class may well be enough, but first time up I'll be happy whatever he does as long as he comes home safe, and we have that under his belt before we go down the graded novice chase route.

Got to be pleased with that.

Congratulations

Well done indeed! There'll be folks in the Northeast of England not far from me thinking this horse might be named after them. Ryhope being a place in the Northeast and all that. I dunno. Wishful thinking, perhaps. � :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Yes very happy with that. He jumped ridiculously well. You'd never have guessed he was the novice amongst experienced chasers. He was taking half a length out of everything at most fences.

He also needed the race and will come on a bundle. Plus he will improve further as he steps up in trip. He's a very exciting horse, that's flown under the radar because Dan minded him over hurdles with a view to keeping mileage low before he went chasing. As a 17hh horse he's built for the job he's doing now, and he'll win graded chases. I'm really looking forward to finding out just how good he can be.

Not content to take a break from disappointment I have taken a minor share in Relentless Flyer with team Harty.
Runs Dundalk tomorrow 3.45
A 105k yearling she got the heave ho from Carrignog after a fourth place in a Nursery.
Bought by Harty's for 1500 I have a 10% share all in until May eve 2024 for that sum.
Over 6 furlongs she wears blinkers and a tongue tie , following her father's example.
Half as quick will do ...

#anotherfinemess !
Some stalls opened slowly, Leigh though it was a false start and went pulling up only for race to go ahead.
Filly may have resented tongue tie , then it is Wed 13th ,my wife had a hair dresser appointment and, and, and....the filly may have been concerned with global warming she did not want to burn up the track.
Next time however....burn baby burn !

The King Of Ryhope will run in the Grade 2 Towton at Wetherby on Saturday. I'd expect him to run a big race. Currently the course is heavy with soft patches, so given the forecast there's a good chance he'll get his favoured soft ground.

Harry is at Warwick, so either Fergus Gillard will ride, or we'll get the best available, Brooke, Quinlan, or Harding depending on their commitments.

Back