Frankel

His trainer wasn't nearly as confident.

"Strong Suit will probably be our horse for the Challenge Stakes," Hannon added on his website.
"The seven furlongs will suit him perfectly, but we'd be hopeful that he would get the extra distance in the Breeders Cup Mile at Churchill Downs, which is a sharp track."

His trainer wasn't nearly as confident.

"Strong Suit will probably be our horse for the Challenge Stakes," Hannon added on his website.
"The seven furlongs will suit him perfectly, but we'd be hopeful that he would get the extra distance in the Breeders Cup Mile at Churchill Downs, which is a sharp track."

If Frankel had not been running do you think Stromg Suit would have turned up ?

Apparently not.
"He was bought specifically for the race [Breeders´ Cup Mile] to make him well known internationally as a stallion. He has got to run there and run well. It is 1m around a tight track and he´ll love it. He has more speed than Paco Boy". - Richard Hannon jnr, trainer´s assistant. 08 Oct 11

have a look at his action in slow motion during that last furlong..he has got such an unusual big loping stride..he doesn't really look like any other horse to me..its like a big bounding dog..only way i can describe it

That's well described. The bounding is deceptive, he moves through the gears and opens up distance, while almost not appearing to quicken. With Dancing Brave you could see him quicken up. It's different with this one he pulverises them. He's not quite like anything I've seen. He's a proper 10 furlong horse that is winning at a mile as well as anything we've seen. Next season could be something to behold.

At this stage we can legitimately say is that he has proved to be a great miler. He did something akin to Tudor Minstrel in the 2,000 Guineas and has built on that. When he does the same at middle distances we can start to see where he is with the all-time greats, such as Sea-Bird, Mill Reef and co.

For now he's the best horse in the World and Champion Miler.

Last edited:
if pour moi was in the race he would have got barzalana stood down and ridden him to victory

great horse though he is i dont see 12f at epsom being to his liking trip or track wise

he will be unbeatable next year at 10f and if i was going to up him to 12f the race i would go for is the arc course much more suitable than epsom the draw being the only issue

I remember when Dancing Brave won the Guineas… received 'wisdom' had it that he wouldn’t get a mile and a half in a horse box… could they have been more wrong?

Last edited:
I backed sharastini so no comment at the time and its still quite popular to slag starkey off for his ride but i dont think the track suited dancing brave its a bit late now obvously but if i was mapping out frankels career and didnt go the mile route i would have followed dancing braves agenda except for the derby something like guineas/eclipse/judmonte/irish champion and arc

though i see nothing wrong in his campaign this year champion miler and next year champion middle distance

To become champion miler (and top-rated horse in the world) is no mean feat indeed!

We have yet to see the full range of his ability though... which is quite scary as well as exciting.

I suspect that Piggott or Cauthen would have got the horse to settle properly well before Queally was able to do .

Back