Frankel

Point 4 is particularly funny - I assume that one is in as a joke ... :lol:

As for point 3 , horses do not generally suffer injuries just because the horse in front is going faster than they can . CC was never travelling with his usual fluency .

The basis of Aragorn's post is never let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Just like athletes never pull muscles when running at their quickest.

I'm not being a conspiracy theorist. It's not a conspiracy its commercial PR. I'll say it again, if they thought he was good enough they could have brought him back and had another crack but they won't because he's won enough group 1's and another beating will only de-value him further at stud. It's not that far fetched is it? If you were trying to sell a product would you openly admit your competitions was better?

Last edited:
Especially as they didn't want a repeat of the Sea the Stars situation where he basically ate everyone of their best animals. That's reinforced by So You Think swerving Frankel for a crack in a race that won't suit him as well.

I find it hard to believe that if Canford Cliffs ran in the QEII and was comprehensively beaten again by Frankel that it would have any effect on his stud fee next year. It would just be confirmation of what everyone already knows.

If anything, they would have nothing to lose by having another go, as there's always the chance that Frankel could under-perform and they could have his scalp, in which case his fee might well go up.

As an aside, am I giving too much credit to breeders to think that they'd be put off more by Canford Cliff's physical frailties than him not being as good as Frankel?

Especially as they didn't want a repeat of the Sea the Stars situation where he basically ate everyone of their best animals.

Except that they never ducked him, even after they knew exactly how good he was. When every single trainer in Britain ran away from him, there were Coolmore horses ready to take him on.

That's reinforced by So You Think swerving Frankel for a crack in a race that won't suit him as well.

On the assumption that Frankel is still heading for the QEII, I don't see how So You Think is swerving him by not dropping down in trip. The easy option for them would have been to aim him at the Champion Stakes, where he would have been a very skinny price.

And anyway, hasn't Frankel had a relatively conservative campaign? Was there something stopping him running in the Eclipse or Irish Champion?

And anyway, hasn't Frankel had a relatively conservative campaign? Was there something stopping him running in the Eclipse or Irish Champion?

Very much so, after the Greenham, there was still talk of Guineas, Dante, Derby from Cecil. Can't help but feel that on the back of the Sussex and leading up to the QEII, they've missed a race without good reason, be it one of the Group 1's over a mile in France or either the Juddmonte or Irish Champion.

Champions Day could have a problem with it looking like the top 10f horse going elsewhere as well as the top sprinter. They look most unlikely to attract the top filly/mare either who will probably come from the Arc as well.

As an aside, am I giving too much credit to breeders to think that they'd be put off more by Canford Cliff's physical frailties than him not being as good as Frankel?

Yes. Possibly written from a slightly jaded point of view having watched two noticeably lame yearlings and one questionable wobbler go for over 100k at Keeneland this week...

Respect to Marco Botti and the Excelebration camp for not ducking another, albeit futile, crack at the wonder horse. I hope he stays in training next year and ends up champion miler while Frankel cleans up over 10f.

Excelebration is the Solwhit to Frankel's Hurricane Fly.

Don't you start the whole Solwit thing off again!!:D

What a fantastic animal and so quickly after STS. We will not really realise the brilliance of this horse till he is retired.... Did he look like he was even more barrel chested today than usual?

have a look at his action in slow motion during that last furlong..he has got such an unusual big loping stride..he doesn't really look like any other horse to me..its like a big bounding dog..only way i can describe it

He is very well built, Bridle, with plenty of muscle in all the right places, but he has a very loose, easy walk.

Reading some of the other threads I can't believe no-one's mentioned him staying 2m and how his stride would help him get over 8 flights... :)

Quite simply the best and most exciting horse I have seen in the 25 years I've watched racing, great that we should have at least another year of him.

Canford Cliffs saw Frankels rear and lost his bottle. I guess it's a bit like seeing the girl you've had your eye-on all night when on the drink get seduced by another fella. Stuff happens. Richard Hughes views on it are about as profound and reassuring as his decision to chuck in the towel after a week of being told not to excessively whip animals. Come on Henry, book the tickets to America brother.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Frankel is just an immense equine athlete. Absolutely epic.

I think he would have won yesterdays Champion if he had ran in it. I think it is fantastic that he will be racing next year so lets hope he stays fit and well.

I am sure he would have won the Champion Stakes in a canter .

I don't think Immortal Verse was at her best yesterday- she should have been closer to Excelebration - Dubawi Gold was too close to her .

What is slightly ironic about QIPCO is that Sheikh Fahad's best horse Strong Suit ducked Frankel for the Breeders Cup .

Last edited:
Back