French 1000 & 2000 Guineas

Hamm

At the Start
Thought it worth starting a thread on these, especially with Zarkava to look forward to.

I'm struggling to think of who will line up in the Poulains? Rio de la Plata is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Do Ballydoyle have anything interesting?

I'd guess One Great Cat and maybe the other one that ran in the Fontainebleu, Lucifer Sam.

Just seen, he is no longer in the care of Mr Fabre and maybe thats why he is not entered

Hope he's not another winter in Dubai disaster

From Godolphin.com

ran well when keeping-on 2½ lengths third of 6 to Myboycharlie in Prix Morny at Deauville final outing: will be well suited by 1m: raced only on good/good to soft ground: has left A. Fabre in France

shrug::

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 6 2008, 02:31 PM
He's entered in the various Derby trials over the next week.
Saw Dee entry Gareth

Why the hell he ain't in 2000 baffles me

Well if they think he's a Derby horse - he's from the family of In The Wings - they probably just want to test him over further, and of course they've got RDLP for Longchamp.

Fabre didn't exactly campaign him like a future middle-distance star last year though, did he?

Looking at all entries Gareth they ARE thinking Derby horse, but still baffled why they are not going 8 -10 -12

Zarkava looks to have an easy race this weekend,
Soumillon was in Madrid riding last weekend and had a chat with him and told me Zarkava is very well and Darjina is going to Ispahan and is an unlikely runenr in the royal Meeting.

About the colts race,
Rio De la Plata is the one with the best form but I didnt like him very much in the paddock at Longchamp on Arc day and seeing how Godolphin starts their seasons in England looks one to oppose.

the form of Georgebernardshaw has been boosted and could be an interesting horse if he goes well in firmer ground.

Tamayaz and Theywayyoure are not bad horses.

Not a bad day , with also good races in Leopardstown too.

Soumi was riding for a friend of mine in 2 races, won one with a great ride and was runner up in the spanish Guineas and was not guilty, I chated with him 3 min and decided not to ask him about the Hurricane run ride in the French Derby.

Chapple-Hyam isn't running Declaration of War because the ground is too fast for him. Current penetrometer reading is 3.2 (Good) according to zeturf, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be proper fast ground. Should suit RDLP anyway.

I think Paco Boy is a huge price for the 2000, his Greenham time was very fast on the watch by my ratings and it seems like connections have targeted this instead of supplementing him for the English version.

Richard Hughes in a big field round Longchamp terrifies me though.

Looks a reallly good renewal of the Poulains. I was taken with the way Tamayuz quickened last time after pulling hard. A stronger pace tommorrow should hopefully suit along with better ground. However, he's actually drawn worse than Rio De La Plata in 17, so I've held fire.

Really is remarkable how so many of the fancied runners (with the exception of the Ballydoyle colt) are so poorly drawn.

Will Georgebernardshaw handle faster conditions as well? Much like Savethelastdance (by the same sire) in the Guineas last week I think not.

Back