French 1000 & 2000 Guineas

With a field this size it has all the ingredients to end up in a scrummage and if ever a so called classic had outsider written all over it, it's this one. I haven't seen any market for it yet. I don't always look at one prior to trying to sort a race out, as I find it can lead me. Having said that it's damned annoying to unravel a handicap after an hour only to discover you've found a 5/2 fav, but by the same token, it's always nice when you've gone a long way towards convincing yourself of the winner, and then discover it's 16's.

The ground will be about +3.00 on my scale which is on the quicker side of Good to Firm i've Paris has been experiencing similar temperatures to us and Longchamp behaves in its normal fashion. Ascot and Lingfield both rodes +3.84 and +4.40 on the straight course yesterday dropping to +1.87 and +2.59 on the round courses. Few of the horses have form on such going although French description are notoriously unreliable, but for the time being I'm half prepared to accept that a combination of the lousy weather we had last eyar in Northern Europe and the wet start to the Spring means there's a fair chance that many will be encountering it for the first real time.

The evidence of the draw isn't necessarily backed up by the history books, but then rarely have we seen a field this size. Victory Note won from stall 11 of 12, and Astronomer Royal 9 of 14, Vahorimix 7 of 11. A middle to low bias seems to exist, and I'm tentatively prepared to avoid those high drawn and wonder if a few might not cut their own throats early, or get in each others way. I'm sure we're going to see some hard luck story or two.

With this in mind I'm nervously prepared to give A/W form a chance reasoning that Polytrack might be the nearest that some of these have come to G/F. So this is how Warblers unfathonable logic has unfolded. Only two horses have Gp1 winning form, and one of those I'm highly sceptical about, even though Shamardal won the race a week after Dubawi flopped. The line of thought starts with Andre Fabre's 'Thewayyouare' who beat Hello Morning 0.5L. Hello Morning was beaten by Tamayuz 1.25L's, giving a Tamayuz a theoretical 0.75L advantage over Thewayyouare. This is however contradicted through Blue Chagall (1 of 4 Gp3 winners in the field) who was beaten by both horses 6.25L's and 7.5L's in seperate races, and thus handing the advantage back to the Thewayyouare by 1.25L's. In any event it ties them in as being close to each other

Anyway, when Hello Morning was beaten by Tamayuz, the second horse home Murcielago went down by a head. Murcielago was then beaten by 1L on the A/W at Deauville by Yorktown with the winner giving 3Ibs and being noted as having "plenty in hand". This would give Yorktown (drawn 5) a theoretical margin of just short of 2.25L's at level weight over Tamayuz, larger than Thewayyouare's. The same line can be used as the unbeaten Tamayuz's (theortetically held by Yorktown about 2L's) defeat of Hello Morning, (1L and a hd) means that Yorktown holds Hello Morning by about 3L's and thus Thewayyouare by 2.5L's this time, through Hello Morning.

Blue Chagall contradicts the form though. He beat Yorktown in the Prix Des Chenes when Yorktown finished a close last having lost both front shoes. Blue Chagall let the form down further but confirmed the close proximity to each other of Tamyuz beaten by 6.25L's and Thewayyouare beaten by a shade more at 7.5L's. Tamyuz obviously has a line to throw all this out through Blue Chagall and the Prix Fontinbleau, but this was run on heavy, and I'm prepared to accept the excuse for the Prix des Chenes that suggests the forms unrelaible and won't apply with today's going and draw.

Mind you, if you're prepared to take some historical 2yo form into account, Thewayyouare has a 0.5L verdict over Ravens Pass through Centenial.

I'm tempted to take a chance on Yorktown, but this looks an absolute swine.

Whose got the strongest line to Danehill? he's provided 3 of the last 6 winners as well as 2 places. At least Zarkava makes the fillies race relatively straight forward to nominate

I haven't look at a market yet, but I've been contemplating 'Thewayyouare' for this for a while.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of performance would see Thewayyouare pointed at Epsom rather than Chantilly. A staying on fourth?

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 11 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm trying to figure out what kind of performance would see Thewayyouare pointed at Epsom rather than Chantilly. A staying on fourth?
A staying on sixth? I don't think he's good enough tbh.

I think he ran a fine trial for the French Derby. Seemed to be carrying a bit of condition as well.

Stalls was a joke, plenty of horses standing in them for nearly 5 minutes.

Winner was pretty impressive.

Did I get the start right, the Cole horse was put in the outside stall because the one he was in was damaged......can that be right?

With the horse running so well, there must be a case for some sort of appeal!!!

She did it well, but at the same time I would liked to have seen a bit more daylight between her and the rest. She'd be worth taking on if she goes off a silly price against the colts or Natagora.

And eased down. Against Natagora or the colts will be a great race, but you are right about if she is a silly price.

It is her style of racing to come from that far back, she is probably not a filly you could ride very handy. Plenty were making up ground late on from the back.

Taking nothing away from her, she did it impressively but still has a bit to prove in my opinion before (as RUK are describing her as ) she can be called a great filly etc.

I'd like to see Zarkava go for the Derby - I think she'd win it! When did a filly last run? It's still permitted btw

Cole's colt is notorious for playing up in the stalls, as he did - he was already drawn right on the outside, or almost, and putting him in an even further one away from the others didn't make much difference to his chances draw-wise but did calm him down, according to Cole [as reported on the Sportinglife website]

¡Que sorpresa! A Cole inmate playing up in the stalls, or indeed showing any signs of temperament and/or being a headcase. Par for the course, I'm afraid....

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 11 2008, 07:01 PM
I'd like to see Zarkava go for the Derby - I think she'd win it! When did a filly last run? It's still permitted btw

Cole's colt is notorious for playing up in the stalls, as he did - he was already drawn right on the outside, or almost, and putting him in an even further one away from the others didn't make much difference to his chances draw-wise but did calm him down, according to Cole [as reported on the Sportinglife website]
Cape Verdi was the last filly to run in the Derby and ran ######.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing+May 11 2008, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisbeekracing @ May 11 2008, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Headstrong@May 11 2008, 07:01 PM

Cape Verdi was the last filly to run in the Derby and ran ######. [/b][/quote]
She went off favourite too, if memory serves.

If they are going to run a filly against the colts Heads, at that distance, it will be more likely the Arc. I advised a watching brief with said filly and said race a couple of weeks ago, but personally, I don't see it

Quick edit

The fillies I'm thinking of ,have all been 4Yo's?

Ouija Board and Islington were both 3. Pride was only breaking her maiden for Gerard Butler by then!

Cheers G, as I said originally when I first introduced it as a daft idea... Watching brief :rolleyes: But her times suggeset to me she might be up to it?

Several fillies have run against the colts later in the season but it's very rare now for one to run in the Derby, tho it was quite common in years gone by. It would certainly be a novelty! - and if it's going to be done ever again, why not in a year with nothing outstanding among the colts? The best of those seem currently all to be aimed at the Irish Derby

Back