French 1000 & 2000 Guineas

Didn't she come back with a hairline fracture after the Derby which meant she was off for a year?

Could explain the poor run, though the best horse doesn't always win (see the followign years renewal).

Was impressed with how River Proud ran yesterday given how he was stopped more than most, played up in the stalls and started from plum last. Definitely more to come, will definitely be backing him for the SJP if he goes that route. As for Zarkava, anyone got the Arc prices handy? Or is the Aga still hurting from the Daryaba shambles.

A very impressive performance given the ground she had to make up. ANd what a price!!! The bet of the season surely?

According to the RP the Chantilly will be the next stop. She has been ridden handily before however according to the Post they have been training her to see out a trip (presumably at Chantilly in June).

I hope she manages to show he form against the colts later in the season unlike poor Divine Proportions who was as much a "super filly" at this stage of her career prior to sustaining an injury in Jacques Le Marois.

Zarkava

I was not very impressed with her yesterday, I think she didnt travell that well and the race was run to suit her, with the runner up stumbling in the stalls and ridden more prominent and with her not changing gear as quickly as she did in the boussac or in the trial. she is likely to be the most overrated horse of the season,
in France they said Divine Proportions was Sea Bird and this one is Dalakhani.

about the Diane
not sure about her staying and will be a silly price, she is a lay for me there.

I take your point about her not winning with the ease she has displayed on previous visits to the track. However she won in a faster time than the Poulains and the fastest ever time for a Pouliches.

I am prepared to accept the connections' claim that her training style has been modified to get her to see out longer trips. Soumillon never had to get really serious with her, and who is to say she wouldn't have burst clear if he had needed to give her a couple of stern cracks?

Divine Proportions was robbed of really proving herself by injury in the Jacques Le Marois so we will never know how good she was. Suffice to say she bagged 5 Group 1s, two against colts at 2, so she must have been pretty good all the same.

Not according to RPR or TS - but given the career ending injury she sustained its a fair point Suny.

Tow fillies, Salsabil and Balanchine, won the Irish Derby in 1990 and 1994 respectively.

From memory, wasn't Nobiliary the last filly to place in the Epsom Derby - 2nd in the 1975 against Grundy I think, in the famous Bunker Hunt Green Checks and trained by the legendary Maurice Zilber.

Originally posted by sunybay@May 12 2008, 11:29 AM
Zarkava

I was not very impressed with her yesterday, I think she didnt travell that well and the race was run to suit her, with the runner up stumbling in the stalls and ridden more prominent and with her not changing gear as quickly as she did in the boussac or in the trial. she is likely to be the most overrated horse of the season,
in France they said Divine Proportions was Sea Bird and this one is Dalakhani.

about the Diane
not sure about her staying and will be a silly price, she is a lay for me there.
Does that not suggest that she will be suited stepping up in trip though, Suny? I thought she ran as if a step up in trip would be no problem yesterday, taking a while to find top gear off a strong gallop. She did win over a mile as a 2yo as well.

Not really sure what to make of her pedigree with regards to a step up though.

Back