Galway-Goodwood: A Competition

Grey, wasn't my selection Dandino, 2nd?

He was indeed, Simon, at 9/2. I allowed you one quarter the odds for the place, hence your winnings of £281 on the £250 place part of the bet, which appears on the leaderboard.

However, I should only have allowed you one fifth the odds, because it was not a handicap, so the correct figure in your winnings column should be £225. I'll change the carry over figure for tomorrow's table.:ninja:

Today's results and leaderboard.

Del Boy and Simon tried to use some extra fuel to get away from the field today but the stewards made them shed some of it. In spite of this they both had an excellent day.

Things will start to get interesting as those to the front of the bunch try to balance staying in contention for the green jersey against trying to catch Del Boy for the yellow.

Those of us out the back must start looking for some good outsiders. Melendez has been so easy to settle, put to sleep even, that he's last of all. He faces a problem finding a runner, never mind a winner, at odds big enough to convert his remaining £200 into a winning total.

Attachments

Today was a poor enough day, folks. After Euronymous's win with Sea Lord nobody else had a winner all day until the last at Galway, when Irish Stamp came up with Pop Rock (what a lovely looking horse, by the way).

The yellow jersey is still on Del Boy's shoulders and he also leads the green points classification. He has a decent lead in the yellow jersey contest but has only a small margin over his rivals for the green. Tomorrow he will have to sit and suffer because he is out of ammunition while loosehead (2 points behind, £100 left), Swedish Chef (3 behind, £750 left) and Gearoid (2 behind, £2245 left) try to catch him.

Gearoid's maths may have let him down, because owing to the daily limit he will only get to use £2000 of his remaining balance, but he is perhaps the favourite to be in green by tomorrow evening.

However, if today's performances are anything to go by Del Boy could well hang on to at least the yellow jersey, but it's not out of the question that Simon or one or two others might snatch it from him.

I would ask the other contestants to make sure to keep going and submit their bets for tomorrow, because otherwise there could be distortions in the points allocation. I don't think we should change the rules in the middle of the competition but if we were doing this again I would suggest that contestants have to have at least some winnings on the day before being entitled to points.

Attachments

Great write up. Was out of bed today at 1pm for a 2pm and too busy to think straight. I cant access excel, so could anyone tell me what the clubhouse leader Del Boy is on?

There are one or two others I should have mentioned who could still win with a good day tomorrow. The main contenders:

Del Boy £15,538 25 points Balance remaining £0
Simon £7,725 13 points Balance remaining £2,000
loosehead £4,075 23 £100
jinnyj £3,900 19 £900
Swedish Chef £3,350 22 £750
Diamond Geezer £3,000 17 £2,000
Gearoid £2,031 23 £2,245

Euronymous (winnings £1800, £1,600 left), The Cardiffian (winnings £1,718 and £1,000 left) or even myself ((winnings £400, £1,000 left) could conceivably still take the yellow by hitting on a big outsider but we're not in contention for the green.

Thanks very much. I might add that I might not care as much but to do Del Boy on the line (remember the sports comp del? Wales triple crown - oh yes) for a second time would bring a tear to my eye.

I had a winner in the 5.10 Galway does this not count for some reason?

I've had a word with Mr Spreadsheet about this matter. It took him some time to reply but when he finally did it was to moan about inaccurate spelling. He had already reluctantly agreed to accept Del Boy's Cirtus Star entry, even though it was going to possibly change the result of the entire competition, but he didn't see why he should be expected to continually cope with such complications. After all, he had so many formulae to maintain and so little...

After grabbing him in a headlock he has agreed to accept your winner, Kauto. It puts you within range of the yellow jersey if you come up with a winner at 12/1 or better today.

Attachments

I'm not at home, I'm away for the weekend, but it looks to me as if Del Boy has held on to yellow and jinnyj has taken the green. Congratulations to both, you were entitled to win.

I'll put up more detailed results tomorrow. Comments on the competition format, and whether to retain it for future competitions, would be welcome.

Many thanks to all who entered.

I forgot to put my selections up and was going to have £1000 E/W on Evens and Odds :p

I did bet it at 33/1 but apparently must have run out of ammo first

You didn't run out of ammo, Roddy, but you would have needed both your selections to win in order to catch Del Boy. I hope you backed Odds And Evens with some real money and not just in the competition.

The podium positions for the yellow jersey classification, based on money won:

Del Boy £15,538
Roddy Owen £12,187
Simon £7,725

And the podium for the green jersey, based on positions in the daily rankings:

jinnyj 26 points
Del Boy 25
loosehead 19

Congratulations to Del Boy and jinnyj who win £100 each and thanks to all who took part.

Thank you so much, Grey for running such a good comp - gobsmacked I nailed Del Boy for the green! Thought he was long gone which is why I stuck my neck out the final day. Anyway very grateful for you to running it and putting up such a generous prize. (my niece is coming to stay next week so I can spoil her with a shopping trip!)

Cheers Grey, a superb competition, won by the best, (in very gracious fashion) from what was a poor field so the form cant be taken from it really....

You didn't run out of ammo, Roddy, but you would have needed both your selections to win in order to catch Del Boy. I hope you backed Odds And Evens with some real money and not just in the competition.

Yes ,thank God. Only one of the day. Thanks for organising an interesting comp and well done to the gracious winners.
Now concentrate on a couple of my own winners this week.

A neck away from nicking the yellow jersey,never mind.

Well done to the winners and to Grey for something a little different from the norm.

Back