Galway Races

PRICEWISE2008

At the Start
Anybody going for a day/evening/the whole week:confused: The crowds for the Wed/Thur have become so big that it's very uncomfortable- not at all enjoyable. Monday evening for me / maybe Sat/Sun.:whistle:

Last edited:
Heading over for the Fr/Sat. Made my maiden voyage over there last year, was there on the Thursday/Friday and Saturday. Thursday was more hassle than it was worth so cutting that out this year.

Hopefully the weather smiles on Ballybrit. If the weather's decent, the rest will follow. :D

Galway is fun for the social side of it....to be honest with the racing on or not Galway is just a great city full stop. But the racing (bar the maiden for 2 year olds on Monday) does little enough for me I probably won't see much of it as I aint going down there this year.

It seems to me that if a horse runs early on in Galway and does'nt do well, it tends to win towards the end of the week if it runs again. Or is that just my imagination?

Rained last night (Sunday 26/07/2009) in Galway, more rain expected today followed by sunshine. Going is soft. Good crowds expected.

Rained last night (Sunday 26/07/2009) in Galway, more rain expected today followed by sunshine. Going is soft. Good crowds expected.

It has actually dried out a little bit from yesterdays description. The crowd figures will be fascinating....I think Galway are in for a rude awakening.

Not a brilliant standard guys but a great craic. The cards and singing in the nights all add to a great party. I have had, or been associated with about 4 runners . Light Dancer ,Sagaman ( Galway plate ),Ballycassidy,Iron Man ( should have won the plate but Paddy Merrigan let him run out.
The hospitality and fun have been great and I wish I was there this year. The old woman not happy for me to go.

It's untrue the number of times you read about races at Galway that the winning connections are locals. It's information that's so important that it should be in the race card.

I am having a small bet on Sophocles in the feature race this evening. He was second to Cork All Star in the Cheltenham bumper and he's a course winner at Galway. The common factor is a stiff climb to the post, which seems to bring out the best in him, and 16/1 seems a fair price that it might do so again at a track where previous form is often very significant.

I like Fisher Bridge at 14's in the 2m Flat race. Has a low weight, Nina is up, and was very highly tried as a novice hurdler.

I am having a small bet on Sophocles in the feature race this evening. He was second to Cork All Star in the Cheltenham bumper and he's a course winner at Galway. The common factor is a stiff climb to the post, which seems to bring out the best in him, and 16/1 seems a fair price that it might do so again at a track where previous form is often very significant.

They really fancied him for the Hurdle but they ground has gone against him. He might still run well tonight.

It's untrue the number of times you read about races at Galway that the winning connections are locals. It's information that's so important that it should be in the race card.

It's a pity I didn't follow my own advice, the big race of the night has just been won by Ghimaar for Ham, Dan and Al McTuam, part of a well known Galway family.

I am going on Wednesday and Thursday for the first time. Re
It's untrue the number of times you read about races at Galway that the winning connections are locals
Any change you could tell me some names to look out for ?

I am going on Wednesday and Thursday for the first time. Re
Any change you could tell me some names to look out for ?

I wish I could. Like I said, it's something you read about afterwards.

Obviously you should look out for the above-mentioned McTuams, but avoid anything running under their Godawful banner.

Also, note the names of the roundabouts near the track. Each is named after one of the twelve families who used to run the city of Galway.

Other names to watch for are Costello, Clifton, Ma'am Cross and Moy Cullen. Owners with these names might be from Connemara. The Locke-Reas, Craughwells and Bellews are known in east Galway

17,000 people at galway, down c.3,000, bookies down c.30% and tote down c.15%. Rained heavily last night, but it is nice and bright now, but more rain is expected today

Last edited:
The rain is now bucketing down in galway and expected to last for a while yet! the going is yielding to soft

Last edited:
Whether she wins or not, Devoted to you is the wrong price compared with the Weld horse. I'd almost be tempted to lay the two short Weld horses this evening.

Back